Service In/ Around Los Angeles Area

Can anyone help me with info on a pro mechanic in or around Los Angeles area for general servicing and one issue I have with a speedometer not working (I've figured out so far that it is not the actual Speedometer, it's a cable issue).

I don't know enough about car to fix myself, need to find pro mechanic (AND A CLEAN CLEAN SHOP... someone who actually cares about dinging car, etc ;) )

Thank you to all who can help me with this :)

I'd call Lance at Superformance in Irvine. Where you are located may influence who he recommends: traffic in LA is so bad that the exotic car owners there I know have their cars transported to the dealership/mechanic for service.

BTW, the SPF GT40 is a very straightforward and relatively simple car to work on. The most exotic thing about it is the transaxle, and RBT is located right there in Orange County(assuming you have a ZF/RBT trans.).

Jack

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
If you have the standard ZF transaxle with a 4.22 ring and pinion, you will find you will have to purchase an adapter to get the speedo to read correctly. That being said, many of us have changed the speedo out to an electronic programmable unit from Speed Hut. I had nothing but troubles with the cable and before I could even see it move it snapped the cable as it was bend at 90 degrees to the back of the speedo from the factory. The installation of the programmable unit is simple and only requires the mechanic to install a pulse generator on the transaxle speedo output or any moving part of the rear axle that can generate a pulse.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
X2 on what Jack said...

The most likely cause is the cable broke (which might appear to your friend as a "too short" cable if he just pulled out the inner cable from the rear and didn't notice the missing square part). I say this because I just fixed this on my own car because as several others have reported High-tech (I really hate that name when I'm talking about this kind of thing) just jams the speedo in so that the cable is bent and guaranteed to fail.

Assuming I'm right, what needs to be done are a) get a new inner cable and b) disconnect the cable at the speedo and reroute it. Behind the speedo is a ~2" dia hole in the chassis that is perfect for running the cable through. Getting to the back of the speedo without removing it is a little nasty, and is helped by removing the garnish covering the wiring along the sill, and the screws at the lower right of the dash. This allows the dash to flex forward a bit which makes it easier to sneak your hand up behinde the speedo. It's also useful to remove the fuse panel cover because from there you can see the back of the speedo.

BTW, SPF/High Tech or the guy that did the install really ought to give you a new cable given all the grief. Actually they should repair it for you at no cost given that it's a gross and repeated and well-known manufacturing error that should have been caught at install time. But you have to choose your own battles....

BTW if you want to go really geeky on a speedometer you can get one that requiers nothing but 12V because it contains a GPS receiver from which it determines your speed and positions the needle accordingly. Not really in the spirit of the car to my mind, but de gustibus non est disputandum as is the case with most GT40 equipment decisions.

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
BTW if you want to go really geeky on a speedometer you can get one that requiers nothing but 12V because it contains a GPS receiver from which it determines your speed and positions the needle accordingly. Not really in the spirit of the car to my mind, but de gustibus non est disputandum as is the case with most GT40 equipment decisions.

Oh, I like that idea! Thats a new one to me.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Jack --

Now that I look it's even geekier than I remembered (measures 0-60 & quarter mile!) and not that expensive.

BTW I've contacted them to find out if they will duplicate the face of the GT40 unit, and will report back.

"Our new Revolution GPS Speedometer does not require a transmission sensor to operate making installation very easy in vehicles which lack electronic sensor output or for individuals wanting the simplest speedometer hook up.

Features included

• Odometer and Resettable trip
  • 5 Htz update for fast needle response and accuracy
  • Display 0-60 Time and distance in feet.
  • Display 1/4 mile time and speed.
  • Show elevation
  • Peak Recall max speed during run
  • Current direction heading
  • Accurate GPS Clock
  • Current Speed in LCD
  • Hot start satellite acquisition allows GPS speedo to function within 2-3 seconds of power up
Easy hook up- requires only power, ground and lighting and GPS accurately displays speed. included 15' long antenna cord to route antenna to convenient location in corner of dash.
"

GPS Speedometers Gauge, Revolution Gauges Series by SpeedHut

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Absolutely the way to go, I wish they had them when I purchased mine. As always I am a day late and a dollar short. :)

I changed all my gauges out to speedhut gauges as when I replaced the speedo it was the only one I could see at night. Old age sucks.

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for that post Alan and I'm glad I happened to look at this thread. Just ordered on of their units for the Lola because I got tired of messing around with all of the pieces I'd need to connect the transaxle to the Autometer mechanical unit. Once I get it installed I'll do a write up on it in the tech section of the site.

Ron

Can anyone help me with info on a pro mechanic in or around Los Angeles area for general servicing and one issue I have with a speedometer not working (I've figured out so far that it is not the actual Speedometer, it's a cable issue).

I don't know enough about car to fix myself, need to find pro mechanic (AND A CLEAN CLEAN SHOP... someone who actually cares about dinging car, etc ;) )

Thank you to all who can help me with this :)

The problem with the mechanical speedo is that it needs a 90 deg. fitting right behind the instrument. This is cheaper than getting the electronic version, your choice.

Lance Stander down at Hillbank in Irvine will probably advise a couple of mechanics, one of which did my install. He is in Fullerton and may be the closest to you.
He's Eric Voss.
Good Luck,
I'm too worn out to do much wrench twisting.
Tom

I recommend Eric Voss, he is great at what he does and a good guy... He's in Fullerton CA . 1234 Ash Ave. is his address... tel: 1714-308-5061

Dave

I just installed one of the Speed Hut GPS speedo's and love it! The toughest part of the install was hiding all of the excess antenna wire. On the GT40 the antenna sits right in the middle of the dash and the lead feeds down thru the defrost vent. The light and ground come right off the old speedo light and I ran the power from a 3 amp circuit on the fuse block to an extra dash toggle switch so I can turn the unit off and on. Dead accurate and lights up very bright at night. The only way to go - no more jumpy needle from an almost 8 foot cable!

Back