Set of original “Wine Glass” style Halibrand GT40 wheels for sale.

I appreciate all the posts with the descriptions of "Wine Glass" Halibrand style wheels -- both original magnesium and aluminum alloys. However, I am still interested in finding out if these "bolt on" wheels are still available and at what cost. I would appreciate knowing this info so I can still sell these wheels at an appropriate price. (At least the $10,000.00 list price I listed received the feedback I hoped for.). I look forward to getting more information about these wheels. Thanks to all you guys who posted in this thread.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Thanks Frank, Phil is a good guy and I'm glad to hear he has successfully moved on. I'd like to see your pics when you have a chance.

DG, I think you have a set of somebody's used set of replica wheels of unknown linage and age. Maybe something like 1/2 to 2/3s of the cost of current a new replica set. Just guessing in the 800-1200 range if you can find a buyer.

Here's a set kind of like yours:
http://www.2040-parts.com/halibrand-replica-gt-40-shelby-cobra-wheels-i2150035/

Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
The diameter of the bolt pattern, offset and widths would be important to the buyer. Assuming you find someone with a car they fit, I'd think $800-$1,000. Knowing the manufacturer would be helpful.

Howard and Ron -- Thanks again for the info. I will check to find the manufacturer's stamp or mark -- and then list them for sale again -- at an appropriate price. Best wishes to you both.

Halibrand Wheels was actually producing aluminum wine-glass wheels in Santee, California in the mid-90's. I have their catalog still from a visit made to see them back then as ERA was spec'ing them for the GT. They had both a pin drive and a 5-lug design with their classic spinner. These look like the 5-lug style they were selling at the time. I recall them to be around $500 a wheel which in 1995 was alot. Halibrand left california to some place in the mid-west soon after. These are not Phil Schmidt "Elanor" wheels, nor are they Image wheels. If these are what I think they are, they are quite unique in terms of being true Halibrands and one piece castings (not 3-piece leakers or Phil's 2-piece rim and center design. Best of luck with the sale. I think they have a great vintage look and would look nice on a Mustang or many other vintage rides.

Darnel A.

Supporter
Frank, Hi how are you? haven't spoke in a while. Ya that's right. I wasn't very clear. I was trying to add a source for the "wine glass" Halibrands that the thread is about. However my history with Phil at PSE is in relation to the BRM's I had him made. As you can see he does Halibrand style wheels like the pictures in the 1st post as well.

I haven't spoke to Phil in awhile but I would think that a set of his wheels would be less than half of the $10000 price posted above.

By the way Frank would you have a picture of the actual real deal wheel that would be correct for the time. I have always wondered what the real deal looked like. There are so many different replica wheels out there I really have no idea what is right. I would love to know what the the correct wheel looked like.
Here are my BRM's:

View attachment 98523
Here are what the 'real deal' BRM's look like. These are magnesium from Alan Mann cars. It took a lot of money and a lot of effort for me to get these.
wheels.jpg
nocia GT40 photos 028.jpg

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, these are my wineglass Image wheels. They are the old style Image Halibrand . Email Harry at image wheels in UK. They still have the moulds.
I’m sure you can get them as bolt on.

Good luck,
Morten

Attachments

• 2F1F2A00-D743-4C12-9B25-11769C05CDC8.jpeg
    2F1F2A00-D743-4C12-9B25-11769C05CDC8.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 467
PSE’s telephone number is no longer valid. The wheels the OP (DG) posted for sale are rare. Too bad no one seems to manufacture cast alloy wine glass, 5 lug wheels stateside.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
PSE’s telephone number is no longer valid. The wheels the OP (DG) posted for sale are rare. Too bad no one seems to manufacture cast alloy wine glass, 5 lug wheels stateside.
Scott,

I have a set of five PIN wineglass wheels available. Not lug type but knock offs with five drive pines.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hi, just write Harry or Jane on [email protected]

They do more wheels than whats in the online catalog.

They also do spinner adapters to most PCD’s and bolton. Worth a try now witb the exchange rates.

2X on this. I have their "wineglass" wheels, and have raced them for years now. Liked the Image products so much, I'm waiting for a second set for street tires to arrive soon.

Back