Set of original “Wine Glass” style Halibrand GT40 wheels for sale.

I am selling a set of four original “Wine Glass” style Halibrand Ford GT40 wheels with classic matching three-bar knockoffs and 20 chrome lug nuts. All four wheels are five lug with 4.5" Ford bolt pattern and 4" back space. Each has a cast center finish with polished lip and polished three-bar knockoff. These wheels, knockoffs and lug nuts are "period correct" with the mid-1960's classic GT40 look and correct patina.

• Two 15”x8”
• Two 15”x10”
• Four polished three-bar knockoffs
•. 20 chrome lug nuts

NOTE: The wheels do not have any dents, dings, "curb rash" or scratches -- just "normal wear" appearance and patina for 50+ year old wheels -- see photos. I have searched for over two years and have not found these wheels -- or "new" replacement wheels of this style, size, etc. for sale anywhere. These wheels are VERY RARE and essentially impossible to find.

$10,000.00 or Best Offer
Includes FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in the Continental United States and Canada.
I am located in Palm Springs, CA.

Thanks for taking time to review this post.

Attachments

• 955B3355-3310-4CC9-BF7F-2F2EEA17859C.jpeg
    955B3355-3310-4CC9-BF7F-2F2EEA17859C.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,157
  • 24D94A97-78F7-4264-8751-3A42372DAFEF.jpeg
    24D94A97-78F7-4264-8751-3A42372DAFEF.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 2,090
  • F74D0BA8-C4F1-4A73-8D4C-5897561846CB.jpeg
    F74D0BA8-C4F1-4A73-8D4C-5897561846CB.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,185
  • A5C84EF7-3A11-46D0-927C-AEAC8B3038AB.jpeg
    A5C84EF7-3A11-46D0-927C-AEAC8B3038AB.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 968
  • 36E31939-D447-47C3-9E83-3B761AA0F4B9.jpeg
    36E31939-D447-47C3-9E83-3B761AA0F4B9.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 743
  • E6B82CEA-EA13-42AB-A841-5B80BCE5212B.jpeg
    E6B82CEA-EA13-42AB-A841-5B80BCE5212B.jpeg
    367.3 KB · Views: 709
I would appreciate any information as to who manufactures "Wine Glass" style Halibrand bolt-on wheels today -- and where they can be purchased. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Not to be a "wet blanket" but bolt on Halibrand replicas were available in the 60's. They first came on the scene in the 80's. Alos period Halibrands would be magnesium, not aluminum and would show the age as mag does not age well.

Hey Rick and Ron -- I get your point as magnesium vs. aluminum. But other than pin drive, the "Wine Glass" is the Halibrand style I have seen on early GT40s. I also realize that these wheels were available back in the 60's... however, since you are so knowledgeable about these wheels, if you know where these "bolt on" Halibrand style wheels are available NOW, I would appreciate you sharing your resource -- so I can purchase another set today (especially at your suggested price, Ron, of $1,000.00) --Thanks in advance.

Wet blanket required Rick.

There is at least one too many zeros in that price.

Hey Rick and Ron -- I get your point as magnesium vs. aluminum. But other than pin drive, the "Wine Glass" is the Halibrand style I have seen on early GT40s. I also realize that these wheels were available back in the 60's... however, since you are so knowledgeable about these wheels, if you know where these "bolt on" Halibrand style wheels are available NOW, I would appreciate you sharing your resource -- so I can purchase another set today (especially at your suggested price, Ron, of $1,000.00) --Thanks in advance.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I run the Image wheels...well made. I have since used a fine scotchbright pad to soften the gloss on the polished rim to better resemble the natural aluminum look.

standard.jpg

Seems to be an enormous amount of confusion and misunderstanding on this subject here. Howard , your pictures are Halibrands, not BRMs. Terry !! There are proper 15 inch peg drive original sizes "wine glass mk 2 wheels available, proper peg drive dimensions, IN MAGNESIUM in the UK which meet the full FIA specification for approx. $ US 1300 each, and in one piece cast alloy for substantially less. The bolt on wheels are not anywhere near replicas of the original wheels, even those made by Phill.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Agreed. I had considered their pin-drive options, but at the time of the build, I wanted a normal bolt-on wheel due to wanting multiple sets of wheels/tires, and the ubiquitous nature of the GM bolt pattern in aftermarket wheels.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter

These are new for $1,795. https://vintagewheelsus.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_62_94

I just sold a set of "lightly used / essentially new" pin drive Halibrands for a bit over $1,000, used bolt lugs would be worth less.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Frank, Hi how are you? haven't spoke in a while. Ya that's right. I wasn't very clear. I was trying to add a source for the "wine glass" Halibrands that the thread is about. However my history with Phil at PSE is in relation to the BRM's I had him made. As you can see he does Halibrand style wheels like the pictures in the 1st post as well.

I haven't spoke to Phil in awhile but I would think that a set of his wheels would be less than half of the $10000 price posted above.

By the way Frank would you have a picture of the actual real deal wheel that would be correct for the time. I have always wondered what the real deal looked like. There are so many different replica wheels out there I really have no idea what is right. I would love to know what the the correct wheel looked like.
Here are my BRM's:

IMG_0332.JPG

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
MK IIs used the "wine glass" style. As Ron indicated they are available in aluminum in the knock-off six pin style. Halibarnd in period did not make these in a bolt-on configuration.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The left picture (post #12) in black and white looks very much like the Mk 2 wheels in the picture above. The left picture in #12 is a knock off. He also makes a bolt on version as in the right color picture in #12. Both can be had in 15 or 17 inch I believe.

Howard, Phil Smidt has now retired and sold his business on, which is in a new location. I rang his old CA number and got a Mexican guy who stated he has now got the business and making wheels. That's all I know ! There are two types of Hailbrand, the original well known pattern and the Mk2 race wheel, affectionally known as the " WINE GLASS " wheel, both differ from the other. I have pictures of the magnesium FIA wheels available in the UK.

Back