Shallow Mounted 7" Android Headunit

Finding a 7" headunit that will actually fit in the SLC dash depth wise, was an impossible task until now. I've found a solution that not only is a shallow mount, but also has an internal amp to power 4 speakers. Before I shipped it to Allan I set it up and played with it a bit and works as expected. The only negative I've found with this unit versus others android headunits I've owned is the WiFi antenna is internal so it isn't very strong. The hardware specs aren't top of the line either, but then again neither is the price. In reality, from my experience with android headunits the PowerAmp app for music will be open majority of the time, I'm not constantly swapping apps while driving.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-8-...avi-Auto-Radio-Stereo-MP5-Player/264119846952

The picture with the car in the middle is the launcher than comes with the unit. While it looks decent, you can't select which app to use for things like music, nav, etc. I'm running Action Launcher so it's a typical android home page. I've also used Car Launcher app in the past as well, but like I said it's mostly in PowerAmp so launcher doesn't matter much to me. Here's a video of Car Launcher app.

IMG_20190216_174826.jpg

IMG_20190216_143100.jpg

IMG_20190216_132306.jpg

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
That looks pretty nice Del. I have a ways to go before I start looking for the tablet for the center binacle. I just don’t know enough but the general thought was to use a generic android tablet which can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices. Having it connect to a remote Bluetooth audio amp, torque pro live for gauges, and maybe even the infinitybox to control electric components would be nice, just not sure at this point if that is possible, but the unit you found seems like a lot of capabilities for the money.

That looks pretty nice Del. I have a ways to go before I start looking for the tablet for the center binacle. I just don’t know enough but the general thought was to use a generic android tablet which can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices. Having it connect to a remote Bluetooth audio amp, torque pro live for gauges, and maybe even the infinitybox to control electric components would be nice, just not sure at this point if that is possible, but the unit you found seems like a lot of capabilities for the money.

Yep, exactly. Basically like a tablet in your dash with internal amp so can run directly to speakers. Also has Bluetooth, WiFi, 2 USBs, etc.

I was looking at other launchers and tried CarWebGuru last night on my phone and is an easy winner for the SLC.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190322-195127.png
    Screenshot_20190322-195127.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 408
Del, what was the second and third picture underneath the video? I am unfamiliar with that device. Also the Car launcher looks like an app for any android device. I found this video of someone installing it on an android head unit.

Del, what was the second and third picture underneath the video? I am unfamiliar with that device. Also the Car launcher looks like an app for any android device. I found this video of someone installing it on an android head unit.

the pictures below the video is just boot up picture and the other is the launcher that comes on the headunit.

You're correct, Car Launcher is an app for any android device. Check out CarWebGuru, definitely one I will be using for mine, a dozen or so different themes to choose from and can be edited as well.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.softartstudio.carwebguru&hl=en

Website
http://carwebguru.com/

Interesting Del. So cool stuff there. I’m going to look into it. I’m. Currently working with a developer to make custom. 3D interactive gauges and infotainment center. My gage cluster will look like this. But retro fit to fit the slc.

Attachments

• 3F3BBD27-DFF0-4551-B1C6-49F91727D983.jpeg
    3F3BBD27-DFF0-4551-B1C6-49F91727D983.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 359
Interesting Del. So cool stuff there. I’m going to look into it. I’m. Currently working with a developer to make custom. 3D interactive gauges and infotainment center. My gage cluster will look like this. But retro fit to fit the slc.

I dig that, looking forward to seeing that in action!

Me too. Del. Del. I’m going to ny. In June. Going to drop by Alan shop. To talk. To him and see his works of art. Hope to. See your car. There. If it’s not completed yet.

Me too. Del. Del. I’m going to ny. In June. Going to drop by Alan shop. To talk. To him and see his works of art. Hope to. See your car. There. If it’s not completed yet.

I hope you don't see my car there in June, means it got damaged in transport! :)

I am not sure how many people are aware of this because most of these manufacturer that sell this type of stuff sell only to car manufacturers. This means you may or may not be able to buy it from a dealership.

I am not sure how many people are aware of this because most of these manufacturer that sell this type of stuff sell only to car manufacturers. This means you may or may not be able to buy it from a dealership.

I'm not aware of any car manufacturers that run a full android based OS. As far as I know the only way to get the OS in a vehicle is some variation of Chinese headunits, I don't believe any mainstream audio brands run Android OS, though they should. These things do way more than a regular headunit.

Joel K

Supporter
Del,

About 2 years ago I had a chance to play around with car audio and started doing some reading and if someone wants to take that head unit and then connect it to a high powered amp and subwoofers with today’s technology it certainly can be done. All sorts of amps and signal processors which can take pre-amp or speaker level inputs and amplify the signal.

So as long as the head unit has the software and connectivity you want I think you can easily upgrade the audio quality to suit your taste. I used a JL audio amp to upgrade the stock subwoofers in my Hellcat and it was very handy how much signal processing was built into the amp to dial it in.

Joel you are correct. One of my passions is audio. Anything can be done with today’s tech. It’s. A matter of knowing what’s on the market. And how to implement it. Oh don’t forget. Money. Lots of money. :D:D

If you are referring to the gauges I posted. You are correct. They will not sell them to the public. That’s why I found a company they will create them for me. Not cheap. But worth it.

Del,

About 2 years ago I had a chance to play around with car audio and started doing some reading and if someone wants to take that head unit and then connect it to a high powered amp and subwoofers with today’s technology it certainly can be done. All sorts of amps and signal processors which can take pre-amp or speaker level inputs and amplify the signal.

So as long as the head unit has the software and connectivity you want I think you can easily upgrade the audio quality to suit your taste. I used a JL audio amp to upgrade the stock subwoofers in my Hellcat and it was very handy how much signal processing was built into the amp to dial it in.

Yes sir, it has RCA output from the headunit if you'd like to connect an amp or 2 to it. I don't plan to right now, but may be something to explore down the road. Just glad to not need any external amps for ease of installation. I'm looking forward to putting CarWebGuru launcher on it when I get the car back. I think I may get a datacapped hotspot ($15/month) to keep in the car. It's honestly not needed, but since the SLC will be parked in my shop it'll also allow me to have easy WiFi access out there as well. I have a CAT6 ran out there from my switch in the house, but routers don't live very long in the shop for some reason.

Back