Skid Plate for P4

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Considering a skid plate under my RCR P4. I have looked at Jabroc and can't tell a difference between it and some 1/4 marine grade plywood that has been soaked in resin. They want some serious coin for it. What have you used and how was it mounted. Thanks for your input.

Finally getting to think about the car again. My F250 has been trying to kill me with replacing head gaskets and adding arp studs, new EGR cooler, EGR Valve, and oil cooler. Literally had to lift the whole cab to install studs.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Jabroc Wood, 10mm thick, with SS flat-head allen bolts, recessed to the max. After this photo, I beveled the front edges 45-deg. on a router table.
Pegasus 6180-10-050x050.
Just my opinion, hope it helps.
David

Attachments

• IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 1,589
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 580
Plastics are much hardier than ply.
I used the same material used for bread cutting boards.
Cant remember the exact name, Nylon maybe.
I used monol steel rivets.

Jim

HDPE-High Density PolyEthyline.

It's what I used under my old jeep (rock crawler). It's the same material as cutting board plastic. My jeep took tons of abuse over the years I owned it, but the poly held up the entire time. All you need is the .250 inch thick stuff for your needs.

I looked at using HDPE on the bottom of my car, I think you need to look at the coefficient of thermal expansion - if I remember correctly, an 80" plank would grow by more than 1/2" from 30 degrees up to 100 degrees. Obviously mounting methods need to take account of this thermal growth.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Absolutely no argument with previous posts, but there is probably a reason the Jabroc wood was used on skid plates on F1 cars, LMP cars, and many others. We are not talkin' plywood or cutting boards here.

First time I saw it was on an Audi front splitter in the pits of a U.S. Le Mans series race, on the car that had previously won the 24 Hour. I asked a team mechanic what it was and didn't forget the answer.

A photo of the 45-degree bevel I put on the front edge, and one from above:

No expert by any means, just tryin' to build another car and this is what I did.
David

Attachments

• IMG_0369 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0369 (1024x768).jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 423
  • get-attachment[1] (1024x768).jpg
    get-attachment[1] (1024x768).jpg
    395 KB · Views: 322
Back