SLC 24 Howard Jones

Not to pressure you or anything, but I'm not allowed to buy something like this "sight unseen" as the wife says. Viewing your car is all that is holding me up.
:D

Howard Jones

Supporter
Lets go for next Saturday, 3-14 about noon until 3pm ish. Drop me a email and let me know whos comming. Wifes, kids welcome (you bring em, you watch em). I'll fill the frig with some beer and we'll do some chips and salsa.

And............. I promise not to sell your kids.

Howard,

What a great moment! Hopefully I'll be on your heals....

Just don't offer Michelada's with your totopas con salsa so I'll have something to offer when mine arrives! :thumbsup:

Congrats Howard!!! She is a keeper for sure, although the other beauty in the garage might get jealous.

Is the current color scheme indicative of the final one? The black wheels are bad ass, I loved them on Frans demo car as well.

Thank you very much for documenting the build with pictures, from all us SL-C fans far away.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dave, you have my address and ph # in you email in box. You are welcome to bring the wife and drop by. Please come by after 12pm, I have a meeting in the morning but I will be home at noon.

Howard,
Thanks for taking some time out of your day to let me and other motorheads look at your car. I was able to get some questions answered that I've had in my head that could only be answered by actually seeing the car.

I was very impressed with the as delivered quality of the car and look forward to following your progress as you build it up.

Fran, I'll be calling you later this week...time to put my money where my mouth is.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I started to trial fit the engine so here's a couple of pictures. So far there's plenty of clearance from the oil pan to the motor-mount cross brace underneath. The front of the motor to the chassis cross member is tight but I think I will be OK. I may decide to remove the shims I added to the water-pump so that I could get good pulley to pump clearance and then take a little material off the water-pump casting. This should gain me another 1/4" for a total of about 5/16" from the WP pulley to the chassis.

Other's who want to put a SBC in a SLC note: MUST use short water-pump and pulley set. Long pump is a no "way/no how" unless you have Fran notch the chassis. I didn't want to do that. I'll be OK with 1/4" or more clearance and with solid motor-mounts that should be enough.

Motor mounts supplied by Fran fitted right up as well as the adapterplate.

Next I need to add the gearbox and trial fit them both. More pictures then.

Havin fun!! With the new hotrod!!!

Attachments

• HPIM0616.jpg
    HPIM0616.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1,142
  • HPIM0617.jpg
    HPIM0617.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 1,355
Last edited:
Looking good Howard. I also have a very tight fit with an LS-1 (waterpump pulley is long). Decided to use a remote electric pump. Have an easy 2-1/2 inches to the bulkhead now.

SL-C 009

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Very cool Howard! I'm envious of your progress - keep the reports and photos coming. Hopefully, later this summer I'll be able to start working on mine and contribute to the build knowledge.

Regards,
Dave L

Howard Jones

Supporter
So here's a couple more. The engine is now located dead on the centerline of the car. I had to make a couple of changes to the water pump which meant I had to take it apart and turn down the shaft length about a 1/4 inch. I now have a solid 3/8" clearance to the front of the chassis in front of the water pump pulley. Nice and tight and as far forward as it will go.

The alternator fits real sweet and these cars have plenty of room for accessories like AC pumps etc. Lots of room to the right and left of the crank pulley. That's where I would mount things low and to the side of the crank pulley.

I am now in the process of figuring out a Porsche clutch works so I can install the gearbox. It looks like the engine and gearbox will need to be installed as a package. It's pretty tight behind the motor and trying to install a gearbox onto to a motor in the car may be more dficult than putting the gearbox and motor together and then installing them as a assembly. No big deal I do it like that in my GT40. I think it's easier that way.

Attachments

• HPIM0635.jpg
    HPIM0635.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 1,087
  • HPIM0637.jpg
    HPIM0637.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,035
  • HPIM0638.jpg
    HPIM0638.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 930
Howard, I remember talking cars with you when you were in the shop, didn't realize the white SLC was yours. congratulations.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I sure am diggin that color combination!!! White with black wheels and accents... Mmmmm... That's how mine will be. ;)

Howard Jones

Supporter
So now I have gotten the engine mated up to the gearbox and into the car. The help I got from this forum really helped me with the Porsche Clutch. I have never seen one up close so I had to ask someone. The someone like always was my friends on this forum. I have learned to come here first. It really saves a lot of time.

The fit is tight but within specs, so to speak. No extra room but none needed. One of the pictures shows that the starter fits right in its place and the other tight spot is the clutch slave cylinder. I suppose if there was more room it would only be wasted. Both can be removed with out taking anything else apart so, good enough is good enough. Given the close fit at the water pump pulley you have to admit that Fran got his sums right.

Next I intend to give the exhaust some thought and in the meantime run the coolant pipes and work out the rest of the coolant system. Then the brake pipes and the brake system.

As you can see, I like to install the big stuff that must be located in only one place and then fill in the remaining systems afterward. It's beginning to look like the best place to put the mufflers is out in the side-pod along side the motor with exhaust exits in front of the rear tires on each side. I would like to run them out the back but so far anyway it looks like a lot of extra work to no end. I will make up some cardboard mufflers and see how it looks. The idea is to use headers sort of like shorty headers but with the collector flange facing outboard instead of downward. Then run through the muffler and out the side. Straight forward and simple. Just like I like it.

Attachments

• HPIM0653.jpg
    HPIM0653.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,111
  • HPIM0655.jpg
    HPIM0655.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 918
  • HPIM0656.jpg
    HPIM0656.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 894
  • HPIM0654.jpg
    HPIM0654.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 985
Last edited:
Well done Howard, keep up the excellent work! I'm still fussing with front engine dress on my LS-1. Almost everything ready to assemble. Did much of the sub-assemblies and thought out plumbing already.

Back