SLC body part rack

Howard Jones

Supporter
I finally did it and made a rack for the front and rear clips. Less than a 100 bucks all in. I should have done this years ago...……………………..

Note: For others at the beginning of the build, make one of these out of wood right away.

Attachments

• HPIM2491.JPG
    HPIM2491.JPG
    792.8 KB · Views: 276
  • HPIM2492.JPG
    HPIM2492.JPG
    792.2 KB · Views: 234
  • HPIM2493.JPG
    HPIM2493.JPG
    863.5 KB · Views: 279
  • HPIM2494.JPG
    HPIM2494.JPG
    959 KB · Views: 242
  • HPIM2495.JPG
    HPIM2495.JPG
    909 KB · Views: 259
  • HPIM2496.JPG
    HPIM2496.JPG
    814.2 KB · Views: 226
That's a sweet rack Howard! Smart holding them vertical so they take up so much less space.

Are you worried about the fiberglass flexing/settling/relaxing to a new contour if you leave it on there for a while? I see some make a buck to hold it at the same shape as it will be on the car due to this concern?

I would be very surprised that it would take a new shape unless it sat there for like a decade.

When I was replacing my slc's engine I had the rear clip just sitting on the floor for 7 months. When I put it back on all my quick release pin holes and tolerances lined up exactly (which have to be within 1/32'' otherwise they won't lock into place)

I left my 917's rear sitting on the floor for about 2 years. A piece of spaghetti has more structure than that (1/8'' thick fiberglass, if that). When I put it back on the car it bolted down exactly where I had originally drilled all the holes (I bolt it into place to prevent it from wiggling around, lol, damn wiggly noodle).

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya, Alex pretty much has said it. This is a weeks not months thing. I have found that medium maintenance processes are just easier with the body work out of the way. My rack is intended to reduce the area the front and rear clips take up in the shop when off the car.

As an aside. When first delivered (first couple of months I would think) it might be a good idea to at least set it flat on the floor somewhere so it does not take a twist. The idea would be that a new fiberglass pieces right out of the mold might be some what still soft. I really don't think this is a issue but certainly years later there is nothing to worry about.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Pretty neat! Would be cool to find a way to hinge part of it so it could fold flatter, and set up against the wall of a trailer.

My body sat on the floor "together" in center of the shop for 1.5yrs and no ill effects that I'm aware of.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Terry, if you look close you will see that the center "rack" section can be unbolted from the bottom "dolly" section. It would be really easy to weld in thru bungs into the dolly and rack and use push pins instead of bolts and nuts. If I wanted to take it with me I think I would simply put it in the bed of my pick up and strap it down. It doesn't weight much, I'm sure I could put in the truck by myself.

Kyle, I used to take them off and lay them on the driveway during my work session and then put them back onto the car loose when I was done for the day all the time.

Back