SLC brakes / disks

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
safety:

My SLC "turnkey" car was delivered with wilwood KV-120-5960-RS and EV-120-5961-RS part number brakes on the standard rotors.

All SLC kit builders please check that the rear calipers that you have been supplied with are not as per mine as they are dangerous as the std pads will fall out within a few hundred miles in this configuration.

As independantly verified by UK IVA, alcon brakes UK, arnie webb and chiron world sportscars.

regards<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Craig Gillingham

Banned because I can't follow the forum rules.
Loads of deleted posts aparantly in rcr forum on safety aspect
latest posted by ?
posted on GT40's - soon to be deleted
Re: SLC disks / brakes
You know Fran, it really would help if you owned up and were a little more honest at times.

For example:

"SL6 ending in # 60/61 on the front ..this part is also used on the RCR replicas..

the rear also SL6 ending in # 56/57..this caliper is only used on the rear of
the SL-C and no other RCR product..."

Craigs car was clearly shipped with 60/61's all round. This may be an error on your part, but it resulted in a very dangerous setup. I can account for what they are as all 4 calipers form that car are now bolted to my P4.

Even 60/61's are questionable in terms of good engineering practice on the front 1" Corvette disc.

When it relates to safety issues with your products, you should investigate, not delete such information and bury your head in the sand.

With issues of this severity, it is only a matter of time before someones life is shattered by an error such as this. Please be a bit more responsible, and less of a "wide boy".

If your car was supplied with an incorrect part number then a simple phone call with a question may have afforded a successful resolution...other than casting stones/aspersions

As has been listed by more than one SL-C customer with cars delivered pre and post #23, the part numbers for the calipers we use on the SL-C are

SL6 ending in # 60/61 on the front ..this part is also used on the RCR replicas..

the rear also SL6 ending in # 56/57..this caliper is only used on the rear of the SL-C and no other RCR product...

The RCR Replicas use a rotor that is a racing rotor, and is 1.25" thick....front and rear.
It has nothing in common with the SL-C brake rotor package.

There are no safety concerns with the braking systems as provided with the SL-C. the calipers are designed to be used within the specific rotor thickness supplied.

The rotors are an OEM spec and are the same as the heavy duty rotors used on the Grand Sport Corvette.

To make life easier for the Australia ADR compliance we are going to be installing an OEM caliper on all street legal SL-C cars headed for their shores in 2010...track cars will still be supplied with the current SL6 Wilwood calipers.

Lets hope you dont have a Toyota throttle pedal too<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Last edited:
I rest my case with regard to the statements made on the RCR forum.

Quoting Fran Hall:

"the rear also SL6 ending in # 56/57..this caliper is only used on the rear of the SL-C and no other RCR product..."

and

"There are no safety concerns with the braking systems as provided with the SL-C. the calipers are designed to be used within the specific rotor thickness supplied."

Then why do Wilwood offer the calipers: 120-5958-FS 120-5959-FS 120-5958-RS 120-5959-RS for 1" (25.4mm) rotors, and why are you supplying rotors Wilwood state are for 1.25" (31.8mm) rotors?

I rest my case made on the RCR forum and deleetd by that forums sponsor.

The caliper used came with Wilwoods sales dept. recommendation and a 0.81" pad...this allows the opportunity to upgrade to 1.25" Wilwood racing two piece rotors and not necessitate a caliper change.....

This information was corroborated by the Wilwood tech dept..

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
latest posted by ?
posted on GT40's - soon to be deleted

Hello Craig and Company,

As I have previously written, the RCR subforum is a moderated subforum. It is for RCR to communicate with potential customers and it is a subforum paid for by RCR. If you post in that subforum the posts are subject to owner moderation. If you have problems with that moderation take it up in private with the subforum's owner, RCR.

Currently you are posting in a Chassis, Brakes, Tires, and Wheels subforum on GT40s.com, a website about GT40s. It would seem that you got a set of incorrect calipers on your SLC and that is unfortunate. I feel it is proper to make folks aware of a potential problem and you have done that. At this point all the SLC owners/customers that read this website have probably been informed.
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks,<o:p></o:p>
Ron <o:p></o:p>

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The caliper used came with Wilwoods sales dept. recommendation and a 0.81" pad...this allows the opportunity to upgrade to 1.25" Wilwood racing two piece rotors and not necessitate a caliper change.....

This information was corroborated by the Wilwood tech dept..

It's actually surprising - to me - how many people (who claim to be competition savvy) are not aware of this very common combination of thinner rotors / wider calipers to accommodate the thicker pads. Once the standard thickness pads are half-worn, they transfer too much heat into the caliper's pistons and boil the fluid. The Thicker pad has a much longer service life in this regard and can sink a BUNCH of heat..

I've never yet had a pad come free from the caliper...

Back