SLC Build Thread-Chassis #53

Hey Buddy. I'm really looking forward to seeing your pics when it's done. I'm sure it's going to be over the top.

Mike

Hey Buddy. I'm really looking forward to seeing your pics when it's done. I'm sure it's going to be over the top.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm a little embarrassed posting pics of my interior after looking at your interior pics but I'll update my thread anyway! :shocked:

I'm really pleased with the work Stephen and his team @ Lux Motorwerks are doing with the interior. It's been a long time coming as they've had SEMA builds and other projects that were tying up their shop this year. Stephen has been a pleasure to work with and get to know.

I bought the fiberglass version of Fran's tub, modified the dash for traditional gauges, modified my doors for custom interior handles, and decided to eschew the traditional head unit and connect a BT dongle to a Focal miniature amplifier (1.8lbs) to use my phone as a wireless source.

I asked Stephen to model the theme after my Cayenne & 911 interiors. He is using genuine Porsche carpeting, Alcantara, and leather.

Besides giving him these parameters (and a couple of others), I gave him creative license. He's been very collaborative and communicative throughout the process.

Here are some progress shots:

Thanks Mike. I'm a little embarrassed posting pics of my interior after looking at your interior pics but I'll update my thread anyway! :shocked:

I'm really pleased with the work Stephen and his team @ Lux Motorwerks are doing with the interior. It's been a long time coming as they've had SEMA builds and other projects that were tying up their shop this year. Stephen has been a pleasure to work with and get to know.

I bought the fiberglass version of Fran's tub, modified the dash for traditional gauges, modified my doors for custom interior handles, and decided to eschew the traditional head unit and connect a BT dongle to a Focal miniature amplifier (1.8lbs) to use my phone as a wireless source.

I asked Stephen to model the theme after my Cayenne & 911 interiors. He is using genuine Porsche carpeting, Alcantara, and leather.

Besides giving him these parameters (and a couple of others), I gave him creative license. He's been very collaborative and communicative throughout the process.

Here are some progress shots:

I can't begin to imagine what you could be embarrassed of. This looks awesome. I love the way you've used the tub and made it OEM. Very clean and factory looking.

I didn't know that you could make Tillet B5's look better than original, but yours do. And they fit perfectly with the Alcantara covered tub.

The gauges look sick! The color combo, Yellow & Red really pops, and looks like high end Ferrari to me. (That's a good thing)...

And I'll say again; I can't wait to see this one when it's done. You've poured so many over the top custom touches into your build, to take it many levels up, yet still completely true to the SLC design.

Did you have the tub prior to the body going on the car, or did you have to take the body back off to install it?

Also, what door handles are those? They are perfect for the shape of the door panel and the OEM look of the interior.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting the pics. I've been waiting to get a glimpse of what you've been up to.

Kudos!

Mike

Last edited:
I can't begin to imagine what you could be embarrassed of. This looks awesome. I love the way you've used the tub and made it OEM. Very clean and factory looking.

I didn't know that you could make Tillet B5's look better than original, but yours do. And they fit perfectly with the Alcantara covered tub.

The gauges look sick! The color combo, Yellow & Red really pops, and looks like high end Ferrari to me. (That's a good thing)...

And I'll say again; I can't wait to see this one when it's done. You've poured so many over the top custom touches into your build, to take it many levels up, yet still completely true to the SLC design.

Did you have the tub prior to the body going on the car, or did you have to take the body back off to install it?

Also, what door handles are those? They are perfect for the shape of the door panel and the OEM look of the interior.

Very cool stuff. Thanks for posting the pics. I've been waiting to get a glimpse of what you've been up to.

Kudos!

Mike

Thank you for the nice words Mike. I'm thrilled with Stephen's work. He is going above and beyond to make it as oem-like as possible. Very talented guy and team. He could easily have his own TV show on Velocity. I feel lucky I found the shop and that he was interested in the project. He is a true car guy like us.

I bought the tub last year. Allan of RCR East Division picked it up for me on one of his RCR Detroit runs from Fran.

Long story short- buy the tub and install it BEFORE you assemble your car. Allan and I spent countless hours disassembling, fitting, and reassembling/lining up things. After I left his house, he spent countless more hours realigning the doors after they had been almost perfect before.

The tub has to be installed before the body and the tub changes the fitment/alignment. Allan did a great job getting everything to fit again.

They are Porsche Cayenne interior door handles. They were tricky to install because they do not have traditional mounting points. Not easy but worth the effort to me.

I looked into going the route you went with the oem gauges retrofitted to work with standard sensors but the budget wouldn't allow it. Next build.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That's looking really good....

The tub really does do a great job of making the interior look sculpted and OEM...mission accomplished .

Cant wait to see it all together.

Ricardo, I have watched your build form the very start. From the motor and now the interior you have one very special super car. I'm glad to see you post more pics, keep them coming.

Ricardo... I'm curious to see how you plan on finishing out the edges of the fiberglass body where it mates up with your interior tub. I have not noticed any photos of any edges trimmed out on any builds yet. Yes indeed I really like those door handles, nice touch.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Matt,
there is actually a little recess on the edge of the tub the edge of the body sits into...so there really are no raw edges...

Recardo and Fran, The area I was concerned with is the edge that is located ...say near the passengers right ear and shoulder. I guess maybe some weather stripping might go there? I'm guessing. Never the less I really think everything is of the finest quality and thought. It's nice to know that someday I will be able to put all the things I have learned watching these builds to good use on my own SLC. Thanks folks

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Matt, as I mentioned ALL the edges actually sit into a rebate in the tub/bulkhead roof panel.
The edges are all flush and on the same plain..so nothing is raw and unfinished.

That's looking really good....

The tub really does do a great job of making the interior look sculpted and OEM...mission accomplished .

Cant wait to see it all together.

Thanks Fran- The Tub is a difference maker- definitely worth the effort to retrofit even though the body was together already.

It takes the build to another level and further bridges the gap from kit car to production car. Well done.

Ricardo, I have watched your build form the very start. From the motor and now the interior you have one very special super car. I'm glad to see you post more pics, keep them coming.

I appreciate it. I don't have as much free time to visit the site as I did in the past and my car has been in the shop for 8 mos, but the build is still going strong.

Simply gorgeous, Ricardo. Such a clean build in every way. Really like the gauges too.

Thank you.

Ricardo... I'm curious to see how you plan on finishing out the edges of the fiberglass body where it mates up with your interior tub. I have not noticed any photos of any edges trimmed out on any builds yet. Yes indeed I really like those door handles, nice touch.

The tub and the body index each other. I don't have a picture handy to illustrate it but the body needs to be trimmed to fit in the indent of the tub. It makes for a much cleaner transition and is necessary for the body to lay properly. It makes the body edge much less noticeable. If you look at the close up of the speaker pod you can see it with the rocker area/tub.

Any other spots (a -pillar) will use a thin rubber weather stripping to hide any exposed edges. All edges will be painted body color or black so it's not raw.

These are all finishing touches and will be finalized in the end.

Thanks on the handles. I did them 2 years ago but never posted pictures of them. Now Lux has the job to finish around them with upholstery.

Ricardo and Fran, Thank for the info. Yep Ricardo the thin weather stripping is the answer I was looking for. That will be a touch to finish out a sweet interior. Thanks again for all ideas.

I have to agree that one of the sharpest interiors that just flows clean with smooth lines. I'm already taking notes stealing ideas hopefully before they become copyrighted, Thanks for the inspiration. Your SLC IMO is raising the bar to point where I hope my SLC will be one day and hopefully I will get to see your car in person sooner than later.

Wow Ricardo that is very cool, They should pull moulds off yours that is awesome work.

Thanks Grant. I can't wait to see your's finished. You have many cool and unique details in your build.

I have to agree that one of the sharpest interiors that just flows clean with smooth lines. I'm already taking notes stealing ideas hopefully before they become copyrighted, Thanks for the inspiration. Your SLC IMO is raising the bar to point where I hope my SLC will be one day and hopefully I will get to see your car in person sooner than later.

Thanks. I hope you are enjoying your car.

Any updates? I'm dying to see this build finished and properly photographed.

I was at the shop yesterday but didn't take many pics. They were rewiring some things before final assembly. Soon.

Stephen and his team @ Lux Moterwerks have been great to work with and their abilities are impressive. They fabbed up a trick defroster vent and an under the dash vent that's not pictured as the beautiful interior they created is back in.

They take an oem view when designing and implementing their solutions which is the view I've tried to have for this whole build.

After 4 years of building, not being satisfied and starting/redoing the build over, 5 pair of seats, etc, etc, my car is juuuuuust about finished.

The main things open:

1) Reupholster steering wheel to match Alcantara.
2) Install the Nardi shift knob (I have 2 to try out).

Stephen, Barry and their team did a fantastic job creating the interior and final touches on my car. They were a pleasure to work with and I appreciate the attention to detail they applied to my SLC.

I requested they create a clean, timeless interior and use my Cayenne as inspiration.

Highlights:

1) Porsche carpet
2) Porsche leather
3) Porsche Alcantara
4) Porsche door handles
5) Tillet B5s reupholstered
6) Phass separates
7) Focal amp (1.5lbs)
8) Lightweight 6.5 inch JL subwoofer- hidden in passenger footwell
9) Bluetooth to use either phone or tablet as source

I'll post more pictures once it's completely finished and detailed, but here are few for now:

Back