SLC power door locks.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Our cars come with Autoloc small slimline bear claw latches. I have come up with a fairly simple method for adding power door locks. It requires drilling three precise 3/16” holes in the assembly to block the trip pawl lever from actuating the bear claw latch. A 3/16” diameter rod can then be run through the 3 holes and mounted to an actuator about a foot from the bear claw latch. I made up reinforcement backing plates previously so I’ll use them to weld on 1”long metal guide tubes that will be Teflon lined.

First picture shows the concept. The drill represents the 3/16” rod that will be attached to the actuator.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
This picture shows the path of the rod as it blocks the lever in the locked position. The pencil is pointing to the lever.

image.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
This pictures shows the drill backed up in the ”unlock” position. The lever is now free to pop up whenever the outer or inner door handle is pulled.
image.jpg

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I can scan and post the reinforcement backing plate template if anyone wants to make a set of these plates. Perhaps wait until I finish the install just to be sure it works. I bought a pair of “2wire“ MES actuator’s and one switch from A1Electric. I also purchased a Viper keyless entry receiver and a pair of fobs. All in it was about $140.

The rod could also be connected to the inner door handle as well for manual operation. If this was a consideration then I would suggest the “5 wire“ actuators instead. With this type of actuator manually locking the drivers door will also lock the passenger door and visa versa.

Does the GT-R use the same small slimline bear claw latches?

Last edited:

Joel K

Supporter
Ken, great post. I am planning power locks as well, but haven’t even thought about a solution. I’m quite aways from needing a template, but at some point I’d like to leverage your design.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Looks like a solution.
Is there a manual over-ride to unlock?
In my car there is no manual unlock in use. I might make the 3/16” rod reach all the way back to the lock/unlock lever on the miata inner door handle. Then piggyback the actuator to that rod like in older production vehicles. Either that or have a hidden pull cable to manually retract the rod. I could attach a pull ring in the door grab handle.

image.jpg

I did electric locks in my SLC as well. I used 2-wire solenoids from Amazon and used 2 sets of 5 terminal relays to handle reversing the current. I sent my Infinity Box Mastercell into have them program this with the remotes on the car. It's a total PITA to have to send it in with every change that needs to be made, but once I get it back and everything works I forget about the hassle.

I connected the solenoids to a metal finger that interrupts the motion of the outside door handle. It's not super elegant but it has been reliable for 2500 miles. I also put a switch on the dash to lock and unlock. With this setup, the doors are never locked from inside, a feature I like. If I ever get locked out, the widows are screwed in place.

Johan

Supporter
I can scan and post the reinforcement backing plate template if anyone wants to make a set of these plates. Perhaps wait until I finish the install just to be sure it works. I bought a pair of “2wire“ MES actuator’s and one switch from A1Electric. I also purchased a Viper keyless entry receiver and a pair of fobs. All in it was about $140.

The rod could also be connected to the inner door handle as well for manual operation. If this was a consideration then I would suggest the “5 wire“ actuators instead. With this type of actuator manually locking the drivers door will also lock the passenger door and visa versa.

Does the GT-R use the same small slimline bear claw latches?
Yes, the GT-R uses the same bear claw. However the are mounted left on the right side and right on the left.

Back