SLC seat belts

Price looks good, and they appear to be decent quality, but they wouldn't necessarily solve the inspection concern here in CA if I get a particularly prickly CHP inspector. . . if that's the 1 inspection of the 3 where this is checked.

Price looks good, and they appear to be decent quality, but they wouldn't necessarily solve the inspection concern here in CA if I get a particularly prickly CHP inspector. . . if that's the 1 inspection of the 3 where this is checked.

Why don't you call them, Crow Enterprises (714) 879-5970, maybe they can help you out. They are in Anaheim, really nice people.

Some pics of my Crow harness.

Attachments

• AGF00001.JPG
    AGF00001.JPG
    515.2 KB · Views: 310
  • AGF00002.JPG
    AGF00002.JPG
    636.7 KB · Views: 278
  • AGF00003.JPG
    AGF00003.JPG
    614.4 KB · Views: 301
  • AGF00004.JPG
    AGF00004.JPG
    627.9 KB · Views: 313

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
VERY nice, Al. Do all 5 belts disconnect with a push on the central "button", or does each need to be disengaged individually?

Looks spot on for what I think I need for the Cobra...thanks, again!

Cheers, Doug!!

Al,
I like your choice of belts. I looked at Crowe when I was searching for my harness. I eventually chose the G-Force setup with the camloc for my car. I base it on the style and price. The camloc is so much easier to get on and off. The latch link in my opinion, is bulky and difficult to latch up. Unfortunately I didn't consider some of the things that should be considered in choosing a belt system. I have the Racetech seats that have slots for the seat belt, the shoulder harness and sub belt to pass through. The interior of my 40 is very tight to say the least. My seat belt is just a strap that has to have a 3 bar connector and a plate that is then bolted to the frame. Since my work room is compromised the 3 bar is rather bulky and takes up too much room. Trying to secure my seat is a real pain. The click in style would have been much better. The pass through slots are a bit of a struggle to get the adjusters through. To set them correctly the three bar has to be in the correct location on the strap. This requires the seat to be taken out 2-3 times to get it right. Same for the shoulder harness. I originally mounted the shoulder harness with a bolt through the sill, just under the rear window,of the firewall and a 90º bent attchment. This had to utilize the three bar mount as well and the position of the seat made this hit the seat. I have since decided to attach the harness to a horizontal bar(to be placed this week) just behind the seat. This will allow me to use the wrap around technique. The G-Force, has to connect to a three bar, but I found the Schroth 2 bar mount, smaller and thinner, that should work much better for clearance to the slots. I would love to have a Schroth, but I couldn't swing the price. The slots in the seat make the placement of the straps much harder. I may have to bite the bullet and sell my G-Force unit and go with one that has the click in style seat belts. I still have to get the car to the upholster shop and that means I will have to take the seats out again. Now if I had added the harness in the early stage of the build, the attachments could have been done a lot easier. But then my build has been so slow the belts would have been out of date before I ever used them :(
I notice you are using the 5 point belt. Why did you opt for that as opposed to the 6 point? I understand that we are in a semi reclining position, and submarining is somewhat less of a problem, but I would think that a sudden stop would be rather painfull, and I am a bit too old to be singing soprano.
The 6 point to me is a better system because it wraps around the inside of the legs and in the event of a sudden stop, it actually supports the legs to the outside much like a repelling harness does. Which brings up the thought, that I have never seen a repelling harness with a single crotch strap!! Wonder why??

Bill

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Al,
The 6 point to me is a better system because it wraps around the inside of the legs and in the event of a sudden stop, it actually supports the legs to the outside much like a repelling harness does. Which brings up the thought, that I have never seen a repelling harness with a single crotch strap!! Wonder why??

Bill

I know why, Bill. I was once kayaking down Barton Springs in Austin, TX, when we came to the Mopac bridge. We stopped to watch climbers as they climbed the concrete support "posts". One of them asked a friend to belay him while he climbed, and my friend reached for a beer (yeah, I know...my reaction, exactly!!) at exactly the moment the climber, who was climbing the post positioned horizontally, like a spider, lost his grasp. He probably fell 30 feet before my friend was able to stop his descent.

Yep, I know why they don't make climbing harnesses with just a single crotch strap! That guy would certainly be singing soprano had my friend not managed to grasp the line early in the fall (even at that, though, the force of the fall lifted my friend off the ground and only b/c of the fantastic physical capabilities that he has was he able to stop the fall at all).

Cheers from Doug!!

VERY nice, Al. Do all 5 belts disconnect with a push on the central "button", or does each need to be disengaged individually?

Looks spot on for what I think I need for the Cobra...thanks, again!

Cheers, Doug!!

Doug, You turn the camlock and all or any of the attachments can be removed.

Al,
I like your choice of belts. I looked at Crowe when I was searching for my harness. I eventually chose the G-Force setup with the camloc for my car. I base it on the style and price. The camloc is so much easier to get on and off. The latch link in my opinion, is bulky and difficult to latch up. Unfortunately I didn't consider some of the things that should be considered in choosing a belt system. I have the Racetech seats that have slots for the seat belt, the shoulder harness and sub belt to pass through. The interior of my 40 is very tight to say the least. My seat belt is just a strap that has to have a 3 bar connector and a plate that is then bolted to the frame. Since my work room is compromised the 3 bar is rather bulky and takes up too much room. Trying to secure my seat is a real pain. The click in style would have been much better. The pass through slots are a bit of a struggle to get the adjusters through. To set them correctly the three bar has to be in the correct location on the strap. This requires the seat to be taken out 2-3 times to get it right. Same for the shoulder harness. I originally mounted the shoulder harness with a bolt through the sill, just under the rear window,of the firewall and a 90º bent attchment. This had to utilize the three bar mount as well and the position of the seat made this hit the seat. I have since decided to attach the harness to a horizontal bar(to be placed this week) just behind the seat. This will allow me to use the wrap around technique. The G-Force, has to connect to a three bar, but I found the Schroth 2 bar mount, smaller and thinner, that should work much better for clearance to the slots. I would love to have a Schroth, but I couldn't swing the price. The slots in the seat make the placement of the straps much harder. I may have to bite the bullet and sell my G-Force unit and go with one that has the click in style seat belts. I still have to get the car to the upholster shop and that means I will have to take the seats out again. Now if I had added the harness in the early stage of the build, the attachments could have been done a lot easier. But then my build has been so slow the belts would have been out of date before I ever used them :(
I notice you are using the 5 point belt. Why did you opt for that as opposed to the 6 point? I understand that we are in a semi reclining position, and submarining is somewhat less of a problem, but I would think that a sudden stop would be rather painfull, and I am a bit too old to be singing soprano.

Bill

Bill, the six point uses one attachment point on the camlock so I can change it if I want to, and I might. The truth of the matter is that I was looking at the 5 point when I ordered and with ways of attachment, etc, filling my head I just plain spaced it. I think I will get the 6 point and send back the huevo crusher.

I can only speak for California but safety equipment can be modified if it can be proven that the modification meets or exceeds the OEM part. OEM seatbelts meet DOT and NHTSA standards. Race belts meet SFI standards which are higher than NHTSA or DOT if worn properly ie, always wearing the belt with 5 points attached.

I can only speak for California but safety equipment can be modified if it can be proven that the modification meets or exceeds the OEM part. OEM seatbelts meet DOT and NHTSA standards. Race belts meet SFI standards which are higher than NHTSA or DOT if worn properly ie, always wearing the belt with 5 points attached.

Interesting information. It's great to know bureaucracies can have common sense once in a while.

Rich,
You can take it even higher with FIA standards.

Bill

Actually SFI and FIA are about the same. SFI is the American standard (started by SEMA along time ago then spun off). FIA is the European standard. Both organizations don't really test anything. They just set the criteria for the testing by other companies. Kind've like DOT.

Back