Southern GT #70

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Had to go to the machine shop as my son was learning from the owner to build the block on his 1953 Ford Jubilee tractor. So while there I started on my UN1 that I got from GTO engineering. So started with a little cleaning and paint of the adapter. Next the bell housing and end cover. Then it all ground to a halt. Notice the cv joint housing that came with the box. Well it had a pin that was solid and probably tool steel. 6 hours later with carbide cutters to eat the metal of the joint and pin down to the splines to where a puller would then finally pull it off! Now to make a fixture to hold the case so my machinist can install the new one piece main shaft.


BF97887C-A26D-4696-B7B9-C0A1A7BD99CA.jpeg
F5FB0BFE-4A0E-4A32-997F-A234960ED9CA.jpeg
FFB15459-C8E9-480E-93DF-3E344D4CC5AA.jpeg
 

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
From memory the roll pins that hold the cv adaptor go into holes that are slightly tapered

hammer one way and solid

tap the other and they slide out

Ian
 

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
My machinist requested a mount to hold the transaxle to install the one piece main shaft and ATB diff. Since I had to bring it home to grind out the taper pin I fabricated a trans mount. My son had scrap 2 3/8 pipe drops from a pipe fence he just finished that was the perfect diameter for my old engine stand. Going back to the machine shop to pickup the 1953 Ford Jubilee tractor engine and will drop the trans back, hope he likes it!
561BA7B5-587B-497C-9133-917FF3CFBD34.jpeg
58B2ACDC-218E-4355-9629-0988BFDD12C7.jpeg
 

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Finally got back to the GT40. Just folded the new cowl piece and it fit great, gas caps now in proper place. I deleted some openings and shifted some others to cover tubes.
I will now need to form the rest of the bits to make it look close to the monocoque. Then reconnect shock towers, start fixing where things were cut, weld up, ect ect ect
CD4B9258-2422-4D42-9862-850E51E5C2D7.jpeg
AE9FB7D9-5FB5-4A1B-A908-2CD772309F18.jpeg
 

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Got lights holes cut in today, found my Marchal headlamps came with yellow bulbs. Vive La France,
 

Attachments

  • 4D857A94-DAF4-450D-A761-5EE856899F94.jpeg
    4D857A94-DAF4-450D-A761-5EE856899F94.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 96
  • D0B1E02B-F17E-468E-BF5A-227B30BD130C.jpeg
    D0B1E02B-F17E-468E-BF5A-227B30BD130C.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 94

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
cut, tack, cut, toss out, recut, repack.
Well what I thought would be a quick, easy project, led to hours….but I have a result, center bar is in. Got to put the front back on to double check fit and level.
F45BCD9D-81E9-4D21-90E5-8E931013069E.jpeg
1A636069-03D2-40BA-BD1D-952F816FC057.jpeg
 

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I dont think the little bar will pose any restricted airflow, or rad performance. Even with a lisence plate in front it still most with a good rad have no problems. Keep ticking off those boxes David
 

Neil

Supporter
I dont think the little bar will pose any restricted airflow, or rad performance. Even with a lisence plate in front it still most with a good rad have no problems. Keep ticking off those boxes David
Probably not but it's a nice touch that would set his build apart from all the others.
 
Back
Top