speedo reading way to fast!

It bothers me that for the kind of money were spending for the car we should have to spend so mush time and money fixing something like this. Stuff like this should just work. Now if we want somdething differant than what the factory provides so be it we're on the hook for that. This should be covered by SPF. Just my $.02. Maybe Rick could tell us if the've fixed this problem on the newer cars.

Richard, what is your 5th gear ratio? That seems like the speed I am running at the same RPM but the speedo reads 100mph. I am Also running the 3.77 gears. The fifth is .64. Does that seem right? I really agree with Richard. This was an RBT box set up for the SPF cars. I think it sucks that I have to pay for an adaptor to get the speedo to work right. Maybe I'll give Fran a call at RCR and see if he can send me something to fix it. I'll let you know!

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Richard,

The speedo drive issue is not related to SPF, it is a function of the output speed fron the transaxle. The speedo is set to the standard industry "RPMs per mile @ 60MPH". The gearbox output is the factor that controls the speedometer. Even Ford had to use reducers on the old Mustangs with 4:11 and 4:30 gears.

The cures are either the electronic speedo which also eliminates the drive cable or a reducer to bring the cable drive speed in line with design intent.

Superformance has no control over what speedo drive setup the transaxle has.

Mark, I thought there where basically 2 different outputs, one for a 3.77 and one for a 4.22. Does every SPF need an adapter to read correctly? Is this a Pantera part? Remember, I'm new to this. I did find out that my issues with the AC were user error. Do you have these adapters?

After thought.....

I do think it has something to do with SPF. I would have thought that when a customer buys a car and the dealer helps them select the transaxle, this adapter issue would come up. Even if the customer already had the gearbox, this should be part of the conversation. I don't know if it was or wasn't part of the conversation as I bought the car second hand. I'm just giving my opinion. Rick, I want to say publicly that you have been a big help to me before and after the purchase of this car. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Commercial Speedometer

2446 Evergreen Ave, West Sacramento, CA
(916) 371-5873‎

I bought my reducer from these guys. It's never given my a problem and the price was pretty reasonable. They were pretty knowledgable as well.

Rich E.

Btw, I agree with the OTHER Rich that alot of these issues should've been addressed in production or at the dealer level. I also think that Lance and Co. is doing a better job at addressing these issues than the previous owner.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I do think it has something to do with SPF. I would have thought that when a customer buys a car and the dealer helps them select the transaxle, this adapter issue would come up. Even if the customer already had the gearbox, this should be part of the conversation. I don't know if it was or wasn't part of the conversation as I bought the car second hand. I'm just giving my opinion. Rick, I want to say publicly that you have been a big help to me before and after the purchase of this car. Thanks again.

Thanks,
And your point about the delaers is well taken. Yes, the delaer SHOULD have addressed it IF he was involved in the install/finishing of the chassis.

Some dealers are more techincally involved/proficient than others.....shpuld be part of the "due diligence" done before parting with your money. Goes for ANY vehicle, not just a GT40.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Grady, all of them including the one from Utah (speedhut) use any pulse input. I bought the triggering unit that screws onto the ZF transaxle speedo output and it leaked. So I sold it to Kirby so he can have leaks on his garage floor and made my own. All you need is a cam or crank trigger and put it by anything that rotates. I used the ends of my bolts for the CV to transaxle bolts. Here is a picture, excuse the road america track grime. :)

Dean you have a transaxle that will put you over 200 easy with the .642 5th gear. What about some pictures of this car? What is Hawaiian flames anyway?

Attachments

• kitchen 001.jpg
    kitchen 001.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Jack, I think you would love the Hawaiian flames but I have decided against it, Although I have never seen a GT40 with flames (intentional anyway).

Seriously, I think these cars look great when they try to replicate another GT40 from back in the day. I am going to slap some Goodyear Blue streaks on the car and design a graphics package to resemble 1042 in the Scuderia Filipinetti team colors. I should have it done this week. I even thought about canards and a Gurney flap on the back but if I ever wanted to go back to a basic street car, I would have to deal with holes in the body.

As I've stated before my dealer's only talent was taking my money. Everything else I either learned from Lynn Miner, my work, or the good people on this site. SPF did a great job of steeping up and getting me a replacement set of headers when I found they had sent me the wrong one's.

They do however rely exclusively on installers be they dealers or not to figure it all out. What is needed in my opinion is web site with real meat. One that list all service notes with detailed instructions on how to implament them and where to go for the parts and who will pay for them. Another thing is a full parts list with prices and a real owners/shop manual. One more thing would be some sort of help desk to answer any question not covered on the site. Granted it's a tall order but it's that is needed. OK I'll get off the soap box now.

The pictures are here just for fun. The first one I took in downtown Coeur d'Alene, and the other one I took a couple weeks ago and they help lower my blood pressure after I have to think to hard about stuff like this.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Jack at 6% sales tax I'm going to wait as long as possible. I did take it out for a short ride today, big mistake. Ice is not fun in a GT40. BTW not my house just where I happened to turn around. They have a nice driveway, I live on a goat path compared to this.

Attachments

• 2009-11-15 15.21.36.jpg
    2009-11-15 15.21.36.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 2009-11-15 15.21.54.jpg
    2009-11-15 15.21.54.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 202

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Coward! :laugh:

All you need are some 15x5 wheels and studded tires, and you should be good to go, like this guy! :D

main.php

Reminds me of a local legend, a contractor who raced Trans Am with an indy Camaro. He drove his Pantera to work one morning in a blinding snowstorm. Hit a parked car so fricken' hard the headlight doors broke off and hit another car parked further down!!!

Back