Spinner breakage

I have recently fitted pin drive wheels and today when trying to remove one of the rear wheels one of the lugs broke off the spinner, these are original 'long eared' spinners of some age, it looks like metal fatigue to me, does any one know if this is a common problem with old spinners?

John

Hello and hope your keeping well.

Try John Wisher he will have the answer. If you need his contact details send me a pm.

Regards Martin.
ps Still loving the painting.

Malcolm

Supporter
There is a strength difference between forged and cast spinners. Cast are more prone to breaking than forged and so you should use a spinner removal tool to reduce this risk. To break a forged spinner you will need to have bent it a number of times to fatigue it first. Cast will just snap.

John:
Castings are typically more brittle than a forging, but most of the alloying elements are the same and the metal does age harden so even the forged ones can get really hard.
I would take a look at the other spinners you have, and if there is any doubt think about replacing all four. If your rear wheels are really wide, you might want to look into a socket for removal/install as its really hard to get a direct radial hit on the spinner and the wings are weaker in the side to side profile. Just my 2c from experience.
Cheers
Phil

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
John:If your rear wheels are really wide, you might want to look into a socket for removal/install as its really hard to get a direct radial hit on the spinner and the wings are weaker in the side to side profile. Just my 2c from experience.
Cheers
Phil

Are such sockets readily available or do they need to be fabbed up?

Kelly

Kelly:
If I remember one of the forum members Eglitom had them, you might try contacting him or do a search.
Cheers
Phil

Back