steering

Hey guys...I have a rcr 40 and i had it out the other day. there is a lot of steering wheel movement compared to actual wheel movement. its not loose, but a lot of steering wheel rotation for amount of turing. it is a really early car....anything to help with a lot more responsive turning?

Buzz

I'm sure you have done this and it probably goes without saying, but if this is a new development you really need to check all steering joints, ends etc. I don't have a 40', but any new issue is a signal of impending something. Jack the car up and move, rotate and shake everything. If it's always been like this since day one... ignore this post.

Buzz,

I am going to try the Howe racing steering quickener to decrease the work I am doing behind the wheel. Does anyone else have any ideas? His steering is all tight, it is just a long way lock to lock but the wheels don't actually turn that much.

Chuck

Supporter
Hey guys...I have a rcr 40 and i had it out the other day. there is a lot of steering wheel movement compared to actual wheel movement. its not loose, but a lot of steering wheel rotation for amount of turing. it is a really early car....anything to help with a lot more responsive turning?

Buzz

You should have two connection points for your tie rod. The aft connection will give you quicker steering and is best for street use. Could your tie rods be connected to the forward connection point?

Attachments

• TieRodInstalled.JPG
    TieRodInstalled.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 308
Egoman / Wedge, is right, closer to the ball joint or pivot point will make it respond quicker but moving this in will also allow you to turn tighter and may cause your tires to rub?
Dean you may what to look at a differant rack and pinion, if you can get one with closer ratio?

Chuck

Supporter
Sorry guys. Guess should not be using sailing / flying lingo.

Aft = inner point = closer to ball joint = closer to pivot point. (On the RCR GT 40, since the steering arm is forward of the ball joint).

We have not had not had problems with tires rubbing.

Back