Suggestions: Atheistic Approach for Front Licence Plate

Here in California, a front license plate is required for
newer cars. However, I have seen a ton o' Corvettes, Acuras,
and the like with molded front bumpers and no place to
hang a plate. Supposedly, the covers are removable, but I've
seen plenty of cars that are still w/o front plates.

Either the owners are getting fix-it tickets, or the cops
don't really care, or since there is no "reasonable" place
to put one, they get away with it.

YMMV,

Ian

Re: Suggestions: Aesthetic Approach for Front Licence Plate

Oh, and Pat - thx for the site info - that's exactly
what I was looking for. Don't like the big plate lights
most kits come with.

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's actually a good question...here in Massachusetts we're required by law to have front plates as well

[/ QUOTE ]
If you still have one of the older green on white plates, I believe you just need the one plate in back.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, you don't need a front plate in Massachusetts if you use the older green-on-white style plate. As a practical matter, you're not going to get much grief for not having one with a new plate or a vanity plate, but you run the risk of meeting up with a cop who's having a bad day.

I believe there is also a sneakier, though still legal, way around this. A guy at the Registry told me I could report the front plate as missing, fill out some paperwork, and that rather than issuing a new plate, the RMV would issue me a letter attesting to the fact that my front plate had been "lost." This letter would serve to deflect tickets that overzealous cops might be inclined to write. I don't remember the exact steps in the process but if you can find a friendly and helpful employee at the Registry (good luck!) he can give you the details.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's going to depend on how your local law enforcement is feeling that day...

Bill, that's exactly what I was thinking, any photos would be greatly appreciated.

Not that we're bombing around at 150+ mph or anything but my major concern here was cooling, I think the hinged license plate would demonstrate compliance with the "intent" of the law and at the same time address any concerns that you were receiving maximum airflow effect through the radiator nostril...

Rick

Glad to be able to contribute something for a change. I too did not like the idea of large plate lights, especially since I had forgotten to cut the mounting holes before priming, so I was looking for a creative way of getting out of cutting more holes. Mark, good one on losing the front plate. Get a set, then wait a couple of months, then 'lose' it.

Back