Superformance GT40

Nick

Lifetime Supporter
Looking for a nice Superformance GT40. Nice 550HP min., and typical trans setup. I am ready to buy.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Back when I was building Cobras, I had a customer insist that I increase his 427 from the minimally docile 450hp up to 600+. We gave him 605. The car scared him so badly that he sold it. Even with sticky tires, you just can’t put the power down below 100mph, there’s simply not enough weight...

Nick

Lifetime Supporter
I have a Cobra with 600HP same weight as GT40. Gt40 has 500 lbs or more right over rear tires. Once cobra is out of 1st pedal to the metal and she sticks well on Billboards. I would be happy I think with a good solid 550HP. I like to be a bit thrilled.........and Avon makes a fat rear tire for wide body cars.

I did also dial in suspension on the cobra though and added adjustable coil over so she sticks well. If you guys know anyone selling SPF GT40 I am ready to buy. I also have a super nice SPF cobra and a Maeco built 65 Mustang GT race car that is amazing for possible trade to create more possibilities.

Attachments

• gt350 front nice.jpeg
    gt350 front nice.jpeg
    985.7 KB · Views: 166
  • cobra 7.jpeg
    cobra 7.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 165

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Even with sticky tires, you just can’t put the power down below 100mph, there’s simply not enough weight...

...buuuuut, if yeeew be wanting some top end speed; "sticky tires" (and perhaps the addition of a 'canard' or two up front and an under-body 'defuser' at the rear) plus a gradual & judicious application of one's right foot when traveling at speeds above 100 mph ought to be 'moooost rewarding', don'tcha think?! ;-)

Bill Kearley

Supporter
What plans do you have for the car? I have 600 horse but am afraid to use it and haven't. I don't want to experience broken parts that may be very hard to replace.

Nick

Lifetime Supporter
I am good with 550 and if it makes more that's fine. Does'nt mean you have to use it all. I might do occasional light open track days.

Lots of cars, like mine, use the Roush 427 SR or the S which are not too far off this, so this 550 doesn't seem much of a stretch.

/s/ Chris Kennedy

Back