Superlite GTA

Alan...does that mean you cannot register an RX7 with a veilside kit?....911 with a 935 bodykit....not much left of the original look of either of those...of even more so a Fiero with a Lambo body...

Why would you need to re-register

Last edited:
Alan...does that mean you cannot register an RX7 with a veilside kit?....911 with a 935 bodykit....not much left of the original look of either of those...of even more so a Fiero with a Lambo body...

CA DMV :(. However, the SB100 route doesn't look that bad, and gets you a smog exemption (non-replica body allows you to claim 1960 as the smog year!). It's also the only economical (i.e. non-CARB certified parts) way of doing CA-legal engine modifications that I know of.

Quoting from http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm:

A "home-made, specially constructed, or kit vehicle" is a vehicle that is built for private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. These vehicles may be built from a kit, new or used parts, a combination of new and used parts, or a vehicle reported for dismantling (junked) that, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle that was dismantled.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

Dunno. As a practical matter maybe you don't. But if you do need to, didn't, and got caught, you would be made extremely unhappy I think.

The specific language I'm basing that assertion on is the following from http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcnsreg.htm

"A specially constructed vehicle (SPCNS) does not include a vehicle that has been repaired or restored to its original design by replacing parts or a vehicle modified from its original design.

Example: A Volkswagen "Beetle" with modified fenders, engine compartment lid, and front end, but still recognizable as a Volkswagen is not considered a specially constructed vehicle."

It's the "still recognizable as...." language that I'm basing my assertion on. I would think the GTA falls into a grey area between "modified from its original desing" (which it clearly is) and "reconizable as a Talon" which I'm pretty sure it isn't. But maybe if you show whatever authority a photo of a Talon roofline and doors you will get by.

Anyway, the beauty of this as Roger points out is that since if it isn't recognizable as a manufactured car it is treated under SB100 as a 1960 model year, which means you can do whatever you want with the engine; there are no emission requirements.

But if you are "recognizable" you have to run a visually-verified 1996 (or whatever) induction and exhaust system with all the emission control parts present and you have to meet the emission measurements for that year in a semi-annual test. And what's the fun in that?

Last edited:
"103 inch wheel base 18/19 wheels...4 / 6 cyl. package...might look a little like this...but then maybe not...wink..

If all goes well we be displaying at Carlisle..."

-- Fran Hall

attachment.php

attachment.php

Maybe I missed it, do you have a target curb weight?

This is just a guess but I'm assuming around 2,200 lbs? Although depending on engine choice I would give or take 150 lbs. Somewhere in the weight range of a Lotus Exiege/Elise me thinks...

Flo is a talented youg guy...the car does not look like those renderings though....if you look back at the clay model you can see that.

We have moved on quite a way since those renderings and the balance of the car is far more aggressive and much more "mid engined" in feel and form...

Unfortunately we will NOT be attending Carlisle this year ....we are incredibly busy with production, new shop, new car development,the race schedule and response to the Gearz show means we have run out of hours in the day and I need to focus on getting RCR inot our new home...sorry chaps...

I have no idea of the transverse engine combo's that you guys have mentioned. If one was to want a V6 with a 5 or 6 speed what ones would work? Seems that I might lean towards a Honda VTEC 3.5. I know they buggy guys love them, they are plentyfull,cheap and have many power options up to 450hp. Would this be one to consider?

I have no idea of the transverse engine combo's that you guys have mentioned. If one was to want a V6 with a 5 or 6 speed what ones would work? Seems that I might lean towards a Honda VTEC 3.5. I know they buggy guys love them, they are plentyfull,cheap and have many power options up to 450hp. Would this be one to consider?

This is from the Superlite Car's website, specifically the SL-Razor page -- uses same engine package as the SL-GTA:

"I want to use a VW Tdi, or VR6, or Acura V6, or Neon SRT4, etc. Will it fit?

Yes- the Superlite Razor was created to support almost any common front-wheel drive (FWD) drivetrain.

Superlite Cars has mounts already built and in stock for many popular drivetrains, including Honda, Mitsubishi 4G63T, all VW in transverse format, GM Ecotec, Dodge SRT4 and Hyundai. If you have another drivetrain in mind, you may arrange to send it to Superlite Cars after you have purchased a kit, and for a nominal fee, the factory will fabricate mounts and deliver your Razor to you with your drivetrain already installed. Check with the factory before you buy- they may have already built a Razor targeted for the drivetrain you want to use.

It’s really up to you!"

The primary reason why you would go with a 4G63 is because the Eclipse already uses this engine. You wouldn't have to mess with the tach, engine lights, etc. It would all merry up with little to no issues.

But a Honda V6 would make a neat little project. Great low end torque, decent power from a stock engine, and excellent reliability, that's what I'd consider if I were building this as a daily driver. That, or a VW tdi!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
TDI power is totally unfreakin' real.... Torque monsters and decent economy to boot!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
New shop Fran?

Still in Motor City or you looking elsewhere?

The primary reason why you would go with a 4G63 is because the Eclipse already uses this engine. You wouldn't have to mess with the tach, engine lights, etc. It would all merry up with little to no issues.

But a Honda V6 would make a neat little project. Great low end torque, decent power from a stock engine, and excellent reliability, that's what I'd consider if I were building this as a daily driver. That, or a VW tdi!

Man, with the VW TDI motor the GTA would be getting better mileage than most econobox's...

I will certainly build my GTA for daily driving duty... seems more logical than the SL-C [that is, for my tax bracket and all] :laugh:

Do you think the power-band of a peaky 4G63T would lend its' self less than favorable compared to a Honda V6? How about the VW VR6? I've been contemplating at margin what would be the ideal power level/band for a fun daily driver...

Honda V6 (3.5l)- great daily drivable engine. Not too much aftermarket compared to others. Perfect engine for those who don't need to be too fast.

VW VR6- Pure sex. Daily drivable, sounds excellent, some decent aftermarket stuff for it. But it's HEAVY!

Mitsu 4G63- Daily drivable to track beast. Tons of aftermarket, simple to wire into the GTA, can be built from 200hp to ridiculous power. Probably the cheapest of the bunch to start with; definitely the cheapest to build to 400+ hp.

VW tdi- Don't know too much about it other than they make about 150+ hp stock (1.9) and great torque.

Personally, I'd stick with a mildly built 4G63 (350whp). It'll perform very well and won't be overpowered. (Yes, there is such a thing). This car is begging for a package like this.

For those of you interested in weight, I don't know how accurate it is but Wikipedia quotes the following:

Curb weight -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weightHatchback AWD: 3,269 lb (1,483 kg)
Hatchback: 2,877 lb (1,305 kg)
Convertible: 3100 lbs (1,406 kg)

How close (above or below) the GTA ends up being is anybodies guess but I wouldn't imagine it would stray far?

Here's the game: The closest guess by someone without inside information to the advertised curb weight (complete with drivetrain) of the Superlite GTA at initial release wins. Wins what? Nothing but bragging rights.

I'm going first, and I'm guessing that Fran manages to shave 250 lbs off the Eclipse, so I get 2627 lbs.

I don't know how many of the metal panels will be exchanged for fibreglass ones and that's where most of the weight savings could be made.

I'm really not sure how much it'll change but because I want it to go down, I'll go with an even 2650 lbs.

Back