Superlite GTA

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
After much googling I have discovered that Powertrain Control Solutions TCM-2000 will control a 4T65E-HD tranny (Powertrain Control Solutions - TCM-2000) Coupled with a thier paddle shifter, that would be almost as good as a manual.

ps2000156sm.jpg
:cool2:

No joy on an aftermarket controller for the LS4. I would think you could use one of the many LS controllers out there if you got rid of the displacement on demand. Fran, any chance of a non DOD crate engine from Katech? :idea:

We have already calibrated the two versions of the ECU for the LS4 as we used these drivetrains in the latest batch of movie cars we built at the end of last year.
We will be able to offer a stock engine cal. with no DOD and all security protocol turned off.
This will be an exchange ECU situation ...I have not worked out the pricing yet on this option...it did take a lot of work and was not inexpensive to do.

No way I can do this $40k or under. This may even be a stretch to get what I want. Does anyone see things I'm not accounting for/unrealistic costs?

Total 45,000

Kit Parts 15,000
Body
Sub frame
Fuel tank
Rear lights
Axle

Required Parts
Eclipse GST donor 5,000
brakes & suspension 1,700
Coilover shocks/springs 1,400
Celica Lights 300
Wheels 18*9.5 19*12 1,300
Tires 275/35-18 and 325/30-19 1,300
Paint/prep 9,000
Engine/Tran 9,000
Interior/gauges 1,750

Partout If im lucky (750)

Looking forward to more details and pictures. Besides an SLC, which unfortunately is out of range for me, the Apex is the only car on my wish list.

That's a pricey donor, paint job and engine/trans but they are your choices....not a necessity...my last Eclipse was only 750 bucks...

This car can be done for well under 30k....but if you want a ripsnorting big horsepower sports car then it gonna cost extra...no two ways about it..

No way I can do this $40k or under. This may even be a stretch to get what I want. Does anyone see things I'm not accounting for/unrealistic costs?

Total 45,000

Kit Parts 15,000
Body
Sub frame
Fuel tank
Rear lights
Axle

Required Parts
Eclipse GST donor 5,000
Celica Lights 300
Paint/prep 9,000
Engine/Tran 9,000
Interior/gauges 1,750

Your numbers don't seem right:
1. You don't need a running gst donor. All you need is a passenger compartment that meets your needs. Local Craigslist has many for less than $1500
2. $9000 for paint and prep for a show car maybe, but a nice daily driver likely $2000 if you can do much of the prep.
3. Engine/trans, you seem to be 40-50% too high. Again, you might pay that much if you can't or won't do work yourself.
4. Regarding many of the other needed parts, pricing varies a ton.....I think you could buy everything new, but unless you really wanted to, why would you?

GST/GSX donor should be $2-3k and for that price it should include a good engine, transmission and harness! So this accounts for $14k on your list ;)

Now, you could get carried away and spend $4k for a new race tranny and $5k for a built race motor, but that is your choice and not very frugal...

As for body work, the sky is the limit and largely depends on your own abilities.

Last edited:
Your numbers don't seem right:
1. You don't need a running gst donor. All you need is a passenger compartment that meets your needs. Local Craigslist has many for less than $1500

I did consider buying a salvage type vehicles at first...but I don't see how your comments for 1 and 3 could both be true. That being said, I want a solid 4G63 block and head to start with that haven't been abused or have 160k miles on it. Plus there are tons of parts being used off the donor engine beside the block and head. Do you really want to be replacing these oem ($$) or using crap parts off a $1500 donor? maybe you're right and I'm trying to play it safe cause of my inexperience in this kind of build. What do others think? Go super cheap on the donor?

2. $9000 for paint and prep for a show car maybe, but a nice daily driver likely $2000 if you can do much of the prep.

I've never painted an entire car so I could be off here. My experience comes from fender benders and the like. Honestly...I'm not sure you can get a bumper painted for $2000 in California. Maybe these are just inflated insurance prices I'm used to. Does anybody have first hand price experience in Socal for a decent full painted car?

3. Engine/trans, you seem to be 40-50% too high. Again, you might pay that much if you can't or won't do work yourself.

I'm basing the cost on buying most bolt on mods new/not used and based on me doing MOST of the work. I don't have a machine shop and haven't sourced how much $ some of the custom work will be...but don't forget most of the "kits" to install a radiator/intercooler/turbo etc etc are worthless because the piping isn't going to place them where they are needed. You probably have more experience with this then me but I'm assuming this is going to cost me some money. That being said, bolt on could easily get to 9k without this. Turbo $1500,t3/t4 $1000, wg $300, intercooler $500, updated fuel system (e85) $900, Cam $500, lifters $500, intake $500, bv $300. ecu? exhaust? Trany/clutch?...That's without touching the bottom end boring/stroking.

Thanks for the comment...every little bit helps!! I appreciate that everyone has different ideas for their builds...I'm not looking for a stock eclipse with a different body ;) As for buying used, this project is going to take me long enough. I just want to finish it and not spend half my life looking for decent parts.

Last edited:
$5k for a built race motor, but that is your choice and not very frugal...

Maybe I just don't have a hookup...aren't racing long blocks closer to $10-14k. eg. buschar, Magnus etc.

Okay revised cost lol

Total 45,000

Kit Parts 15,000
Body
Sub frame
Fuel tank
Rear lights
Axle

Required Parts
Eclipse GST donor 3,000
Celica Lights 300
Paint/prep 6,000
Engine/Tran 14,000 :)
Interior/gauges 1,750

Last edited:
Scott,

It is very easy to spend money on things that you do not need. I have seen plenty of $5000 DSMs that had $15000 invested in them. I would hold off doing thing like engine/tranny rebuild until you need it! Most 100-120k motors are good for 400hp, for another 20-40k miles. And let's face it, that is few years for a typical kit car.

I would take a 120k mile motor and refresh it (new water pump, balance shaft delete, new belts, head gasket and better head studs). That costs ~$400-$500!

I had to drop in and say this car is coming together nicely. I'am particularly happy with the way the celica lights look, and the rear.
Does anyone know if an 18x9.5 +15 would fit , or is the offset to low?

Maybe I just don't have a hookup...aren't racing long blocks closer to $10-14k. eg. buschar, Magnus etc.

I still do not get your math... Buschur stage 3 short block is only $3000. You really do not need to do more than the springs and the cams on the head, so for $5000 you can have a long block capable of $700-800 HP. And I doubt that many people will want that much power.

There are some crazy aluminum rod motors, but those are for 1200hp + drag motors.

Total 45,000

(my *eddie's* adjusted totals)
with as is donor setup 25,600
with a solid 300hp donor prep 27,600
with a solid 600hp setup 34,600-infinity and beyond if you go nuts which you can

Kit Parts 15,000
Body
Sub frame
Fuel tank
Rear lights
Axle

Required Parts
Eclipse GST donor 3,000 for a great shape one, i know, i sell them
brakes & suspension 1,500 Fran himself just said it
Celica Lights 300
Paint/prep 3,000 Dad's an autobody teacher
Engine/Tran 9,000 for a 600hp solid setup yes,
OR
prep the donor setup 2,000 for a 300hp SOLID setup (if donor is good)
Interior/gauges 0,000 if you buy a good donor it will satisfy you

Partout If im lucky (1125) depending on donor
scrap metal value (75) not outside of the realm of reality

I sincerely believe that my adjustments will be a lot closer to what people can and will come to expect as we go forward with these builds. Once the magazines, internet, and car tv shows get a hold of these numbers then HOPEFULLY the only variable i see increasing will be the donor values. What i see as the biggest impact to the increase of donor value is that not only will the natural forces of economics be against us with increased demand but we will in fact be actively cutting (no pun intended) **SUPPLY**, lol. We will be the ones taking these cars off of the donor pool and thus there we will be paying higher prices for 2g's again.

Eddie Rosado

Last edited:
I'm in for spending less...I do however think you guys are oversimplifying making 400+ horsepower (reliably - meaning I want to actually drive my car, not fix it constantly). I wasn't planning on rebuilding the bottom end or tranny until they went down...but included in the build cost. I look forward to the build logs!!

hmmm some examples of JUST over 400...just saying

Making 403....
Bolt-on Modifications:
Aftermarket oil cooler, dual Fluidyne electric fans, Fluidyne radiator, 165 amp Load Boss alternator, grounding kit, DNP tubular manifold (heat coated), Forced Performance Red Turbo, Greddy Type S BOV, Tial wastegate, full 3" exhaust, 3" Aero Turbine muffler, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, aftermarket fuel line,

Engine Management:
DSM Link, AEM wideband, Defi EGT, Defi Boost, Defi Fuel Pressure, GM MAF with MAF translator, Greddy turbo timer, Greddy boost controller

Engine Internals:
Fully built FFWD 2.3 stroker (6 bolt), Groden aluminum rods, Butcher crank, custom Ross pistons, o-ringed block, FFWD level 3.5 head, 1mm oversize stainless valves, MAD valve springs, titanium retainers, 850cc injectors, HKS 264/272 cams, Fidanza cam gears, Unorthodox underdrive pulley, Magnus intake manifold, heatshield intake gasket, removed balance shafts, polyurethane motor mount inserts, relocated oil filter, Amsoil severe duty racing oil

Drivetrain Modifications:
Completely rebuilt tranny with all new syncros, Quaife LSD, Raxles half shafts, custom ACT 2600 clutch, Fidanza lightweight flywheel, Taboo Racing steel clutch fork, stainless steel clutch line, extended clutch rod, Royal Purple Syncromesh

making 419...
Bolt-on Modifications:
HX 35 Holset Hybrid Slowboy Manifold Tial 38mm Wastegate Punishment Racing 02 Atmos. Housing PTE 680cc Injectors Walbro 255 Full custom 3" exhaust B&M Short Shifter Prothane Motor Mount Crushed 1g BOV Cometic Head Gasket ARP Head Studs 3.5" MAF Blitz DD Turbo Timer Godspeed FMIC Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator Stainless Clutch Line 4" Filter

Engine Management:
Innovate LC-1 Wideband TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller Summit Digital Water Temp Gauge MAF Translator DsmLink

Engine Internals:
Flowtech Performance Stage 2 Head BC 272 Cams

Drivetrain Modifications:
TRE Race Trans. Titan Motorsports Spec Stage 2 Clutch.

Back