Superlite GTA

Nope, I also agree. Save the longitudinal V8's for the SLC's/GT40's/etc.

I see the GTA to be the baby brother to the SL-C. Transverse IL4's and V6's should be the name of the day.

Thanks for chiming in regardless Fran.

This!

I think this car should focus on I-4s and V6s, with the possible exception for the LS4 drivetrain. If you want to get the younger crowd interested, you should focus on the stuff they're already used to like K20s, 4G63s, VQ35/37s, etc.

This!

I think this car should focus on I-4s and V6s, with the possible exception for the LS4 drivetrain. If you want to get the younger crowd interested, you should focus on the stuff they're already used to like K20s, 4G63s, VQ35/37s, etc.

And the 6g72!!! I agree though for the entry price of what the apex was meant to be its hard to justify changing the design and losing the crowd of buyers the concept was meant for. Any transversely mounted fwd setup should fit with slight modification, mentioning this car on multiple forums the other members love the idea. Being able to build a ridiculously light, rwd, mid engine car that I can use the engine from a car I learned to build cars on is amazing. Fran has to make the best financial decision for his growing business and that will ultimately determine the fate of the apex. This recent news definitely has me interested to see what happens though!

If you mean the longitudinal V8, Fran said in post #1882 that he wouldn't design a car for some other company if it would compete with the SLC ........

Thats not 'exactly' what he said....

"They" wouldn't plan on doing it...they have asked me to potentially develop it but only if I decide to accept their offer to purchase...but why would I....?..to create a product in competition with my own...

As I said I am undecided..period.

Certainly sounds like he would not contribute to an SLC competitor, but he leaves it in the 'undecided' column.

Oh well....Sure hope this works out in the end. There are plenty of other car producer out there that we 'could' be following. For me (at least) its the package of an easy to build (relatively speaking) kit/component car thats backed up by a world class organization that keeps me addicted to this thread. Withought the credability of RCR/SL, there is little chance I would be following this.

I am in my mid 40's and still supporting kids and college etc. This is a project I could get into soon, and would percieve it to be a stepping stone to my true dream build, which used to be a GT40. Lately thats morphing into either an SLC or a GT

I signed up just to post a long 'Me too'. I am not a perfect demographic fit, being closer to a SLC candidate based on age, wrenching experience and finances. That said the SLC does not appeal to me and the Apex does, as I want very high performance daily driver.

A refined interior with expected amenities are a key factor, along with the nicety of
not being commonplace. Would I like a longitudinal LSX option? Sure. Would I still consider it if the primary power plant was a three cylinder Fit motor with CVT? Yup. Why, because making an engine/trans combo fit is easier for me than making the body pretty, and this car sure is pretty. While a manual tranny LSX would be my preference, I would not be unhappy with a well tuned 4G63 and would not slow me
down one bit when the line opens for placing an order...

Dan,
I also live in San Jose. Our new facility is being setup in San Leandro(formerly Campbell). It would be great if you could make it out to the new shop sometime to see the cars.

Luke

Fran,
2. There is a younger generation that love the 4 cylinder turbo and I am sure you could grow your market share with an Apex kit car.
Thanks
Doug

My intuition would suggest that those very same 'boy-racers' would rather buy up a modified Honda S2000 or something similar... maybe building up a C5 Corvette. Of course that could be my deep-seated-cynicism talking.

If/when Fran sells off the Apex it'll probably be a safer business decision for RCR then going ahead and putting this car into [casual] production.

I recently visited the shop for a tour and got to see the Apex in the flesh. It's gorgeous in person and I say this as someone who walked away from the forum a while back after thinking that I didn't like the styling (based on the pics). Seriously, pics (like with the SLC) do not do it justice. To all those who says the rear window is too flat... I didn't see any problem with it at all. For those who questioned the non-recessed headlights... I didn't even notice them until I looked for them; they look great.

Fran is still debating about the potential sale. Bottom line is that the Apex WILL come to market, it's just a question of by who, for what price, and when.

I recently visited the shop for a tour and got to see the Apex in the flesh. It's gorgeous in person and I say this as someone who walked away from the forum a while back after thinking that I didn't like the styling (based on the pics). Seriously, pics (like with the SLC) do not do it justice. To all those who says the rear window is too flat... I didn't see any problem with it at all. For those who questioned the non-recessed headlights... I didn't even notice them until I looked for them; they look great.

Fran is still debating about the potential sale. Bottom line is that the Apex WILL come to market, it's just a question of by who, for what price, and when.

Matt,
Thanks for the update and positive view of the car. I am excited about the car and hope it comes available. But I have grown frustrated waiting and hoping for the car release. I almost bought two eclipse but I decided to wait into the car was officially released. I thought I missed out on two eclipse for $400 each. But now I am glad I did not buy either one. I hope Fran release the car, because if some fly by night new company tries to sell it, I doubt I will get involved with them or anyone other than Fran or FFR.

What's happening with APEX is almost identical to what happened to the SL-C early on. Google Rapier and go over some of the posts on here in regards to that. I understand why Fran would entertain selling the rights to the platform but it seems as if history has been forgotten. Guys this is going to be a while before it gets to market FROM RCR. Seriously the Rapier fiasco (still scratching my head as to what the hell Fran was thinking as it was doomed before it they ever sold one car of which only two were produced and Fran spent more time fixing their mess ups than building SL-C's for them). Fran will eventually come to this realization as he did with his dealings with Rapier but $ has the ability to make most people blind to reality and Fran's' been down this road before.
In short what idiot would pay for an RCR anything which a different company smacks it's badge on and charges a premium. I know someone over there does marketing and they really need to wake the hell up!
Granted we don't know what was offered to Fran in relation to the APEX platform BUT at this point guys look elsewhere because it took a while before the plug was pulled on Rapier (it was a really bad move to begin with) and the SL-C was already in production.

One thing I do know is that if any of you showed up at his shop with a check you would be walking out with an APEX. We already know of one out of his hands so (but it seems the build has stalled. honestly they are busy with SL-C's and I think they even have a Le Mans there) it's just a matter of who is bending Fran's ear.

One thing I do know is that if any of you showed up at his shop with a check you would be walking out with an APEX. We already know of one out of his hands so (but it seems the build has stalled. honestly they are busy with SL-C's and I think they even have a Le Mans there) it's just a matter of who is bending Fran's ear.
I don't believe that this is true. The one that we currently know of is a beta build. I contacted the shop building it a while back to see why the lack of updates, and they said that they are a waiting a business decision before moving forward... I think we can all put two and two together there.

There's at least one person on here who has already given Fran money for his Apex. I believe that he is busy with some other superlite projects at the moment but has recently posted on here, asking Fran the status of his Apex.

I almost posted on this thread yesterday to ask if this car that's generated so much interest is going to just die off. It's a bummer that there are a lot of people who could be building these, but are waiting for release.

See that's a problem though. I'm in the target market of this car as someone who has never built a kit before, could spend the $ on it, and am reasonably mechanically inclined. Being that I've never built a kit car, I don't want to be the first one to build an Apex.

Even though I've moved on for now, I could come back to the fold on this car IF we started seeing some of them go together.

By the time it does come to life, will there be any decent donors still around? I agree with the post above, I likely wouldn't have any interest in it if it became another company's product.

I'm not going to comment as to why or why not a build has stalled as even the given excuse only leaves more questions than answers. I'll just say this, IMHO if Fran builds the car and lets someone else put different badges on the car it's going nowhere. People are not just buying Frans' design they are buying Frans' support ala RCR. If he sells the plans and someone else builds it than well ...... just read the previous post. There are more than a few home brewed kits out there BUT NONE WITH RCR BEHIND THEM AND THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

I'm not going to comment as to why or why not a build has stalled as even the given excuse only leaves more questions than answers. I'll just say this, IMHO if Fran builds the car and lets someone else put different badges on the car it's going nowhere. People are not just buying Frans' design they are buying Frans' support ala RCR. If he sells the plans and someone else builds it than well ...... just read the previous post. There are more than a few home brewed kits out there BUT NONE WITH RCR BEHIND THEM AND THAT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!!!
I agree; no need to shout :laugh: my comment was about your previous post saying that if someone walks into the shop with a check, they'll walk out with an Apex. Sorry, but that's simply not true.

I completely agree that another company selling the Apex will not be able to sell to ALL those who would have bought from RCR before establishing themselves. In fact, Fran and I spoke of this when I was there.

Last edited:
I was ready to tell Fran, here take my money. However, the endless waiting and lack of updates and uncertainty has resulted in another customer lost. I took delivery of a 2015 GTR yesterday. Good luck gents, I hope it all works out for you.

And there you have it folks. Time to save some more and get an SL-C because Fran is more interested in selling the platform than making it. So if you are buying RCR than the Apex from how things stand is NOT going to be an option. Personally I hope it stays in house because if not well....... at least we got to see some cool picks and a glimpse into the creative mind of Fran Hall.

I am moving on to the GT-R that Fran is releasing in August. yes it cost double what the Apex was forecasted to cost. but I am fine with that. I just have to delay my order for a year to save a few more $$

Back