Superlite GTA

Tom see above

I'm assuming you mean the bit about full brochure soon?

As for VW drivetrain, not only is that great in terms of newer/wider availability, but I think based on my prior research that it makes a non-turbo DSM more easily used as a donor. As I recall previously, if I was going to use the 4G63T, it was a less desirable move to start from a non-turbo donor. The turbo ones would be more easily adapted, but are less easily found cheap and unmolested.

Going v-dub changes that entirely, I think.

REALLY ? a VW Motor and Drivetrain. Totally surprised about this one but I can see the benefits of not going with the somewhat brittle drivetrain that comes with the 4g63.

I don't know much about what it takes to get a nice power band from a vw motor but am convinced even more now that the 4g63 in the rear of the eclipse chassis is NOT a bolt on affair and requires serious modification in that part of the car for any benefits.

As always iam glad to see another vehicle produced by SLC and look forward to more pics on what lies beneath the skin.

Wow...I need a whole reeducation now on these vw engines and what's compatible. Is it all the B5 and/or B6 platform engines?

Doesn't appear so because I'm guessing we can only use the 3.2 vr6 not the 3.6 vr6 and both are in the B6 platform?

Maybe somebody can rank the engine choices in terms of horsepower and tune ability and the years/trim packages that they were available. lol any volunteers?

Wow...I need a whole reeducation now on these vw engines and what's compatible. Is it all the B5 and/or B6 platform engines?

Doesn't appear so because I'm guessing we can only use the 3.2 vr6 not the 3.6 vr6 and both are in the B6 platform?

Maybe somebody can rank the engine choices in terms of horsepower and tune ability and the years/trim packages that they were available. lol any volunteers?

Pretty much the entire modern line of VW engines can be used, as they all (as far as we have seen) use a common bolt spacing to the transaxle.

A rating of them would be useful, but remember that many can be hot rodded to make much more power- like the 1.8l turbo models which come with 180 HP or so stock, but can make 350-400HP with just a tune, turbo and intercooler upgrade. And there are 500+ HP turbo VR6s floating about, as well as modern diesels. The choices in the VW line are really very broad.

The engine and trans from the VW Passat can be transplanted as a whole unit...its already longitudinal...

Okay...maybe I was just reading something wrong on wiki. Said the b6 (2005+ I think) platform of the passat was transverse and that was different from the B5s. I just need to keep researching I think.

Edit: Not that I want to spread bad info but this is from the following http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Passat

"The B6 Passat was first displayed at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2005, and launched in Europe in the summer of 2005. Unlike its predecessor, the B6 Passat no longer shared its platform with Audi's equivalent model (the Audi A4). Based on a modified version of the Mk5 Golf's PQ46 platform, the B6 featured a transverse rather than longitundinal engine layout of its predecessor, like the previous B3 and B4 generations, which were related to the A2 (Golf) platform."

Last edited:
wow what a thread. I came here to mention some things about the 4g63, but that not relevant anymore. Now let's talk about vag engines. I would have still preferred the 4g63 over the 1.8 as the engine and trans are stronger. Also easier to tune. (rebuilding and flipping 2g's and B5 A4's was how I made money in college) I just wanted to throw some info out

4g63:
crankwalk is blown out of propertion. If it didn't happen by 80k it won't happen.
98-99 had the upgraded thrust bearings
7 bolt stock reliable hp- ~500
6 bolt stock reliable hp- ~600
a bad tune will blow your motor at 300hp, so don't bubba it
$30 felpro composite HG and arp studs are good for 600hp
stock 6 bolt head bolts are good to 500hp
$250 delta regrind cams are AWESOME
93+ trans has a weak 3-4 hub that will let go around 450tq
91-92 trans has the big hub but any shop that's building the trans will upgrade that.
dsm auto's are stronger than manuals. they can run 10's. and rebuilds are cheaper.
there are shift kits for paddle shifter auto's that can run without a TCU
building a 2.3 7 bolt stroker is fairly cheap. Stay away from the 6 bolt stroker because 6 bolt 2.4 cranks are almost impossible to find. And once you go with aftermarket rods, the advantages of the 6 bolt are gone.

vw/audi: (I did mainly stock rebuilds on these)
stock 1.8T is good for 400hp
01a trans is good for 400hp
01e trans (S4 and A6) is good for 800hp
2.7T is good for 300/350 with just a flash. I've seen up to 320/380 on stock everything.
drive by wire engines have programmable ecu's. google "s4 tuning wiki" and check out the nefmoto forums for more info.
not as many clutch options as the 4g and they're expensive.

with any engine please run a wideband and oil pressure gauge

The W8 sounds wicked with straight pipes...parts seem rare and $$ however. Also read theres some kind of potential cam/adjuster issue (aside from there being 4). All that said...i think I will be jealous when someone decides to put one in.

2000-2005 Passat Longitudinal

The b5s are 1996-2005, assuming all years will work. here's a cheap way to get to 350hp :)

97-04 Audi/Passat 1.8T GTRS Eliminator Hardware Kit : atpturbo.com

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...&Product_Code=ATP-VVW-124&Category_Code=VVWTK

anatomy_of_gt28rs_kit.jpg

If I wanted to keep the 4g63 powerplant, would the only thing I need to do is fab up my own motor mounts and use a FWD transmission? Would the stock axles still work? Not a fan of the vw motors and already have a built 4g motor waiting to be installed.

So the 6 speed manual is out right?

So If I had an S4 (2001) with the 2.7T V6, that engine would be fine, but I couldn't use the 6 speed trans?

but a five speed manual trans will match up with the 2.7t and will work out?

Last edited:
Back