Superlite GTA

Nice. Will have to visit CLP when they become available to look at. Hoping my 6g72 will fit with an adapter plate and some modification. If not, I'll probably look into a 2.7t.

Can someone enlighten me on how to find donor cars as cheap as Fran is describing. As an example I like the idea of buying a rear collision Audi S4. I've been looking on auction sites like Copart. I can find tons but they aren't open to the public and second the fees by themselves are like 500-700 before even the bid price. The cheap cars on craigslist seem to be the ones that have engine problems, not crashed necessarily. Same on ebay, am I looking in the wrong place?

In my local area I've found suitable donors for as low as $200. That being said, I plan on stripping the shell all the way down, make any repairs and replace all the weather stripping, carpet, upholstery, etc. So suitable is as long as the shell is good, glass is good, and the stuff I want to keep is there, simply find the best deal. If you're trying to find a perfect low mile car to avoid much of that, the price goes up and up. Regarding drive train, why buy a whole car if you only need the engine, trans, harnesses, computers, etc.? You wouldn't buy a C5 vette just for the suspension unless it made financial sense (not likely).

In my local area I've found suitable donors for as low as $200. That being said, I plan on stripping the shell all the way down, make any repairs and replace all the weather stripping, carpet, upholstery, etc. So suitable is as long as the shell is good, glass is good, and the stuff I want to keep is there, simply find the best deal. If you're trying to find a perfect low mile car to avoid much of that, the price goes up and up. Regarding drive train, why buy a whole car if you only need the engine, trans, harnesses, computers, etc.? You wouldn't buy a C5 vette just for the suspension unless it made financial sense (not likely).

Right now I'm only focusing on the S4 (and was never considering a corvette donor). One thing that makes it a little more difficult is I'm planning on buying a manual car. I've definitely decided on the 2.7 and have my engine build mostly planned out. Based on going E85 and upgrading turbos, my budget will fall short of being able to replace the clutch, flywheel, transmission up front. I figure that's fine anyways for a break-in period on the engine before turning up the boost. Manual is required because I'm going to remove Quatro and weld center diff. Like I said its temporary until I pull together another 6k for an 01E w/ diff and Southbend clutch/fly. I may just bite the bullet and pay Coparts fees. I agree donor eclipse much easier to find on the cheap.

We're going to need an Apex Clubhouse sub-forum like the SLC Clubhouse sub-forum to put the build threads and technical discussion.

On a different note... I spent the day cleaning my shop (30'x50') in anticipation of purchasing a kit by the end of this coming winter. I've done way too many projects and not enough organization since I built it a couple years ago.

I also managed to snag a complete Audi 2.7T with 115k miles complete with Turbos for $500 so at least I now know what engine (or at least what short block) I'm using. Plan on picking it up tomorrow:D

We're going to need an Apex Clubhouse sub-forum like the SLC Clubhouse sub-forum to put the build threads and technical discussion.

I agree! While I ended up with something else due to the Apex taking so long to get off the ground, I think the latest direction it has gone is really great in terms of availability.

Like a few others, I'm anxious to see what they look like under the skin. There are tons of SLC pics of what they look like going together, but nothing of the Apex. It was something I hoped would get posted here as the car got close to release.

I could potentially come back to build something a few years down the road, so let's see some builds going!

<quote in-part>
Like a few others, I'm anxious to see what they look like under the skin. There are tons of SLC pics of what they look like going together, but nothing of the Apex. It was something I hoped would get posted here as the car got close to release.<end quote in-part>

Have you wondered why that is? :idea:
Jim

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
There is plenty to see....as anyone that has been to the shop will attest.

Currently we are flat out on the D type which has just been accepted as a new TV show build and our Nemesis family of cars, along with the SEMA truck...

Once we have the new Apex bodies from the molds , I will lift our skirt and show you our wares....

Last edited:
Sounds good!

I wish I could come by to see the shop, but travel halfway across the country is tough to do with my schedule (and no relatives, business, or something in that general area to draw me).

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Not yet...but its looking good that the D type will also be at SEMA and if all goes well so will our Monoposto...so absolutely nothing going on at RCR, we are all just sitting around waiting for someone to buy a car...NOT....as my teenagers would say

Thanks for the reply about the trans fran. Was wondering if the trans is an auto or manual and its hp/tq level at which it breaks before upgrading it.

Going this year myself! Hope to see you there again Justin!

Will you or anyone else be presenting any of your other cars Fran? I know in 2012 there was an SLC on the Forgestar stand.

On a serious note, I won't be able to go this year. I have a huge workload this semester (more A and P, Chem, Micro, and Math). Gotta bust ass now, so I can get an SLC, GTR, HT2, D Type, or whatever the flavor of the week is for me.

""Currently we are flat out on the D type which has just been accepted as a new TV show build""

Is the Gears show on the air anywhere, did they ever show the SLC getting finished on the show?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Gearz is switching cable channels and moving to Velocity for 2015...

The SLC will be featured in the first few episodes in its final and finished state from what we have been told.

Anybody here run blow through MAF's? comments or concerns with them? I'm thinking its a good solution for the APEX. It will allow for dual intake direct to turbo's (less of an issue on the 1.8) from the side air scopes rather then having to join together for a draw MAF (as is the stock setup). Combine this with PCV / spider delete with a vent to atmosphere catch can. GTG. :idea:

Anybody here run blow through MAF's? comments or concerns with them? I'm thinking its a good solution for the APEX. It will allow for dual intake direct to turbo's (less of an issue on the 1.8) from the side air scopes rather then having to join together for a draw MAF (as is the stock setup). Combine this with PCV / spider delete with a vent to atmosphere catch can. GTG. :idea:

I take it you are looking into the 2.7TT route and cleaning up the plumbing mess on the engine too.

I was just out in my shop looking at the leftover air filter housing I have from a 2000 Ford E450 7.3 diesel cab and chassis I scrapped.

Looks like the design and possibly the whole box could be used for dual intakes from the upper side scoops mounted above and forward of the engine and then just a Y pipe with the MAF in it to the turbos.

It would get the factory Y pipe off the top of the engine, use both upper intakes for those of us that like a symetrical look, be good for all weather driving and have easy to change readily available air filters and a filter minder.

PCV catch can, SAI delete...Hmmmm... With a little less junk and some organization, the 2.7T would look like an engine instead of the Borg mothership. LOL Wouldn't need plastic covers to hide the mess.

Yes I'm pretty set on the 2.7t. Seems like the VR6 would be additional work and money and the aftermarket for the 2.7t also seems better/cheaper (but I'm not sure about that).

I definitely think there is going to be far less airflow in the back of the apex then in the front of the Audi. Using the stock intake/y pipe/MAF is going to be difficult simply because of its placement, unless you build an air box as equally intricate as the stock audi air box. You can also not take advantage of the Darintake mod from wheel well flow. You could just extend the stock intake a little further and only run it on one side of the APEX. That doesn't eliminate the fact that the stock Y pipe is considered by some to be the biggest bottleneck in the 2.7 intake system (next to the intercoolers). So why not start over.

Originally I was planning on something similar to what you're describing in the ford, was going to build 3" aluminum pipes joining at a MAF in front of the engine then going back to the turbos (or joining above engine then down to turbos depending on space between firewall). That's just a lot more time, money, and work then plumbing each intake straight to the turbo. Again the downside is needing a custom tune (so to speak since a "box" tune will be required anyway). I'm planning on using JFONZ tune. I may call and see what the difference in tuning is like for an HPX MAF in 85mm housing (supports 800hp) or if he can even do it.

Its funny that most of the VW and Audi people are against Mafless setups. Where as many of the eclipse people preferred tuning speed density.

Last edited:
Back