SVO Y303 heads

Is there any info about Windsor aluminium heads, type Ford SVO Y303? For street, "multi-purpose" or?

Asking `couse thinking of buy complete 0 km/mile HO 5.0 engine with these + other fine goods.

jyrki

Howard Jones

Supporter
The Y303 SVO head is the one used on the 320HP crate motor sold by Ford before they started putting the X303 head on them and selling them as 345HP motors. They have the same valves and springs in them as the X head 1.94 intake and 1.54 exhaust valves. The springs will run out of gas at about 5600 RPM's. All in all a decent Alum. head for a motor intended run at moderate RPMS and produce about 325HP at the flywheel on pump-gas.

I had them on my motor until I came across a set of X heads really cheap. The X head made a noticeable improvement because they improved the intake runner volume and therefore the flow rate over the Y head, but I wouldn't pay for either of them full price. Other heads such as the Edelbrock and AFR head are much better and not much more expensive.

If I was to price them complete (pair) with valves etc. I would put the price at about $500-$600 US. I wouldn't buy them at full SVO price because there are a lot of better heads out there for about a $1000 a pair used.

I think they can be improved somewhat with a nice pocket port job and a good 3 angle valve job.

All in all a good Alum head near the bottom of the SBF Alum head food chain, with AFR's near the top.

If you have a SVO crate motor with Y heads on it then it is more than likely the 320 or 325HP crate motor. The 320Hp motor had the E303 cam in it and the 325HP version had the B303 cam in it. Both make good street motors and will run on pump gas. Good low end torque and they run well if you limit engine speed to 5800 and shift at 5600.

Last edited:
Howard:

Thank you very much, it`s nice to have facts about those heads; after a load of crap from local "V8-expert" :nice:
But no problem, didn`t believe him in a first place :tongue2:

Engine is from 13k miles -87 GT cabrio (after rebuilt 0 km/mile) new bearings, rings, heads, std bore etc., but std pistons & rods, cam etc. And price isn`t so cheap.
Let see.

Back