T28C

Going to look at this beauty in the next week or two. A good friend is interested in purchasing it. I'll post some pics afterward. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 281

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
As a trainer, they were one helluva airplane... I always questioned the tricycle landing gear though.. I guess to make the plane more consistant with more modern aircraft?

Ron Earp

Admin
I saw a pretty white/orange schemed one a couple of years ago at the airport. Nice bird.

One crashed last year at VIR. Pilot was hooning it with his mother in the rear seat. Sad.

UPDATE: Pilot in VIR crash had more than 1,400 hours of flight experience | Local News - WDBJ7.com Central and Southwest VA

The aircraft was used primarily as a trainer but there were versions such as the T28D that carried ordinance into combat including underwing gun/cannon pods, external fuel tanks, rocket canister, and iron bombs.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Was talking with a T6 pilot here today and asked him what he thought of the T28.
"Lovely aircraft - fun to fly - a hydraulic nightmare when they get old"...
So apparently they have very complex hydraulic systems from my short look into them. Are you going to be the mechanic watching over this bird?

Was talking with a T6 pilot here today and asked him what he thought of the T28.
"Lovely aircraft - fun to fly - a hydraulic nightmare when they get old"...
So apparently they have very complex hydraulic systems from my short look into them. Are you going to be the mechanic watching over this bird?

I'm thinking I'm going to get some wrench time. From what I hear this one needs nothing. This model Wright Cyclone (R1820) is pretty tame AFA round engines go. Single speed blower and a carburetor, 1425 hp. I can't speak to the hyd sys, but from the systems on a modern corporate jet it's got to be simple really. It will be fun to find out.

I can't wait to breath 100LL and get my hands greasy running valves again. :thumbsup:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Can those run 100LL?
Most of the old war birds at the FBO I used to fly out of either ran 87 or 130 as I recall..

I agree that the comparison of hydraulic systems in a current biz-jet to the T28 would be like night and day..
Hope you get some seat time too!!

IDK the exact fuel requirements for the particular -# engine, but it's probably just a matter of running reduced manifold pressure settings if in fact the engine was certified to use higher than 100 octane.

Yesterday was a long day. In a Cessna Grand Caravan, we flew from Hartford to St. Louis stopping once for fuel. The potential buyer got a ride and I reviewed the aircraft & log books quickly and we flew back to Hartford with no stops. We had good tailwinds :D

This is the only picture the forum would allow me to load. I get a message indicating that I'm missing a "security token" oh well, if anyone wants pics just send me an email.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 231

Ron Earp

Admin
Cool! Clear your browser cookies, close the browser, reopen and all should work. In worst case it requires a reboot to correct.

C/W all, still NFG.

I have loaded these pics to another forum no problem earlier today, so I don't think it's a device issue.

I did find out however that the engine has a two speed supercharger, my bad.

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I dunno then. If you're under the size limits (there is a limit) it should work. Your picture is, just from eyeballing it, dangerously close to the roughly 900k limit.

So when would I switch the blower between high and low speed? RPM related? Manifold pressure related?

Attachments

• dragin1.jpg
    dragin1.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 198
I'm getting a copy of the flight / operating manual soon, but I believe it's at 15Kft that low blower will no longer maintain rated sea level HP.

Back