Taken the plunge

Hi, my name is Neil. I've just finished and IVA'd a cobra and found that I've been bitten by the car building bug. What next? The Ultima is a very professional package and certainly goes, but somehow doesn't look quite right to my 50+ eyes! GT 40 manufacturers seem to be coming and going (mostly the latter) which doesn't inspire confidence. However, took a trip to Southampton last weekend to look at Southern GT and talk to Mick Sollis. He doesn't advertise much and I only came across his name by accident in this forum.

What a top bloke! His set up is very workman-like which is to say not posh but lots of work going on. Impressive considering he doesn't advertise. He gave up most of his Saturday morning to show me around and even took me to his house to look at his own car and drink his coffee. (much appreciated Mrs S).

The chassis and suspension set up looks well sorted, as he has now been developing it for several years. Inside, I was pleased find there is virtually no pedal offset thanks to the drivers seat being moved slightly centrally.

So, I've sent off my cheque as deposit and can't wait to start the build. I'm going for a Ford small block 331 stroker with fuel injection ( those 8 induction trumpets look brilliant) and a Renault transaxle. This latter should be strong enough for road and occasional track day use - I'm never going to be the world's fastest driver- but that combination should be enough for me to need a frequent change of underpants!

I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinion of modern fuel injection + engine management on an old FSB compared with the traditional webers and distributor. I'll keep you posted as to how I get on with the build though it's probably old hat to most of you now.

I have heard nothing but good things about Southern GT. Talk to Chris Cole about a modified Renault gearbox. The one piece shaft and better ratios for first and second gear are really nice and for a street car the more overdrive fifth is nice for cruising and gas consumption. It gets expensive if you start with the original setup and change it out later!

Malcolm

Supporter
The fuel injection you are thinking of works really well from all I have heard. Combined with a Southern GT you will have a very competant car that goes, stops and corners as well as it should.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Nice to meet you Neil. The 347 stroker in my Superformance Mk1 is fitted with a classic fuel injection system by Eight Stack Injection (www.eightstack.com). It's a system that looks and performs very well. On the website you'll see they have two dealers in the UK.

Welcome Neil,
well you can talk to Mick for a start, he's done it ;)

Also, Andy Green near you is doing something similar on his Tornado.

If you go to Mick's A12/M25/A3 then you are always welcome to stop in at mine next to the Dartford Crossing for a chat and have a look at my bodges on my GTD.

Brett

Neil, good choice, Micks spaceframe chassis is by far the best made in the UK, very competently constructed on a superb jig, with some of the best welding I have seen. Choices are sometimes made rashly or in a hurry, but this one is the right one if you are comfortable with the man you are dealing with, and you can have no doubts about Mick. Frank

Hi Neil,
Good choice. If I could wind the clock back 5yrs I would should have started from Mick's chassis.
Mine is also a SBF (302) with 8-stack fuel injection & Renault transmission. If you want to pop over for a chat & coffee some time, you're more than welcome.
Regards,
Andy

Good morning gentlemen,

Thank you very much for bothering to reply to my introduction. 40bud: thanks for the hint - I'll need to get the necessary mods done on my Renault transaxle. Malcolm and Dave - it's reassuring to hear that you have had good experiences with fuel injection. Brett, Andy has contacted me as you can see. I don't think he lives far from me and has a very similar set up to the one I'm aiming for. Frank, I'm glad that you have a good engineering take on the Southern GT's chassis. Neil

Back