The new GT40...

I'm not sure if the details have been covered already, but browsing through a recent (May) Motor magazine, I couldn't help but notice a small article on the new GT40.
Apparently it will only come in LHD format, and a 5-figure pricetag is looking to be quite a solid proposition.
Perhaps the price will tickle the fancy of some of us, but the LHD will make it a bit annoying for the British/Australian drivers out there.
Ah well.

five figure price tag - dream on ! - the way your currency is going you'll be looking at a million oz

Unless it has something like an aluminium chassis, I can't see it being hugely more than a Dodge Viper, unless it is notably quicker, or that they only want to sell a handfull.
If the thing weighs 1350 odd kgs, it will be perhaps 10-15% lighter, and and the Viper has, what, 450HP?
I am sure a car capable of over 120 mph in the quarter will need traction control and ABS in these litiginous times.
I hope they make it, and it is a driver's car: Ford know how to build great handling cars, if Parry-Jones is involved

shocked.gif

MWGT40

Supporter
I contacted a friend of mine in the US whose brother is a Ford dealer to see if he could get me a new GT40 (I would still keep my GTD40 - the new 40 would replace my everyday car, a Boxster S).

Feedback was that there would be no chance, and that not even every Ford dealer would be able to get one car! He also said that if he did get one he was going to keep it for himself!

Talked to a Ford Exec yesterday and the new GT40 is a go!! Will be built by Saleen. No idea how many would be built or how much. Did say SVT dealers would be selling.

Keith

FYI, The new GT 40 will only be available to the top ten Ford dealerships in the USA.
That is top ten in volume of sales. I should have a firm figure and # of units soon. i
will post any further info as soon as I get
it for those interested.

Bill

G

I don't know if you all noticed my comment in another thread, but they (Ford) twisted an input shaft in half getting 1/4 mile times for an article on the car. I don't understand why Ford and Saleen are using 40 year old technology for the gearboxes?? It is my understanding that Roy, or now his son, is using the original tooling from ZF to build these boxes. Obviously he has added a 6th gear, but does anyone know if the have updated the synchros, bearings, etc from the original? Sure which we could get one of the Butfoys on the forum or someone from RBT.

Saw the yellow car at Carlisle this weekend.
It does look good in person. Fran Kress had
an MK II there as well and side by side you
can definitely see the size difference.
But no one ever accused the GT40 of being comfortable for anyone of size.

MikeDD

Hi
FYI I'm using a box serviced by RBT in my Lola. I have nothing but praise for Lloyd and RBT. He has been honest,helpfull,fair,and prompt.
Best
Jim

G

Well Lloyd Butfoy answered my questions about use of the RBT 6spd in the Saleen S7 and the new GT40 in the ZF/RBT Transaxles thread under this topic. It is really great to have vendors like Lloyd, Robert, Peter, John and others spend precious time on the forum. We get a commercial now and again, but it is well worth it for an inside track to the guys who make the stuff we want and use.

G

We ran a 4 page article, "The Turnaround Car" with lots of pictures in the Spring edition of the GTD 40s Car Club magazine. Our information is that Roush Racing in Detroit will be building the production run and not Saleen. Saleen will have more than enough trouble fulfilling orders for their own road cars as things stand and do not appear to have the capacity for a run of several hundred road going GT 40s. Saleen's race cars are built at RML (Ray Mallock) in the UK who are also not set up for a production run.
Our detailed report on the car can be downloaded now at web page
Andrew

G

OKAY, OKAY, I give up trying to master the technology and my 5 year old is out at her astrophysics class, so she can't help me. Just try www.gtd40club.co.uk and download "The Turnaround Car".
Andrew

Andrew,
When was that article written and how do you know the price will be $100K and not more?

G

Hi everyone,
I wrote the article in April and the price came from a Ford UK press release. It was quite widely publicised over here at the time in the motoring press. Are you thinking of buying one???
Andrew

I like the old mk1 better than the 'new gt40.' However, I am not ready yet to buy the car and by the time I am, the new ford GT40 will be out and I will consider it against a replica.

Back