Theoretical question for Fran (and others)

Howard,

I agree, but the 800 BHP does not come cheap from a Porsche flat 6.

Part of the reason I went with a GT40 over a 917, is that it was soooooo much cheaper to get to my target of 600 BHP with an American lump.

But, back to the original question, yes, modern tires, brakes and aero make it REALITIVELY easy to get to 917 performance standards (even those of the 917/30).

As I said in my first post, time marches on.

Remember, back in the 70s, 300 BHP in a street car was a big deal. Even in the 80s. Nowadays, doesn't even the Prius make something like 450 horsepower? :)

It would be pretty easy to build a RCR 917 with a Porsche 800hp flat six, run it on big fat modern tires, and stop it with modern brakes. That buget would be less than 150K if you do the work yourself.

Uh, no - including my soon-to-be final payment to Fran I've spent close to $90K on my 917 and I don't even have it yet. The cost of my n/a Katech built motor with ~650hp would probably just barely buy you entry to a 300hp air-cooled POS porsche engine. You'd be well above your budget there, unless we're now defining all the work yourself as literally everything (i.e., building your own engine, rebuilding the transaxle yourself, etc...)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Come on, 80K for the "kit" and 70K, 20/50 grbx/eng for the power train. That's so over spent it is funny. Get real, Yes, I mean do the work yourself. Maybe have the machine work on the motor done and the grbx built, but there are a bunch of guys that will sell you everything you need (930 4 sp) from the flywheel to the cv jonts for less that 20K.

That leaves 50-55k for a motor. I sure that's enough for a modern take out turbo 6. Then turn the boost up and you can get pretty close. You won't feel any difference from 600-800hp anyway. There's not more than 20 sec of a lap at any armature track day track/event I know of that will use that last 200hp. In fact now that I really think about it, I take back my 800hp. The car will be faster with 500-600 anyway. 400 in the right hands would more than likely do it.

As far as the "kit" goes, 80k gets you a lot of parts. My guess is that's plenty. Put it together yourself and get a race car paint job and you're done.

Way too much vapor racing going on around here.

delete this one please

Howard Jones

Supporter
Come on Alex, 80K for the "kit" and 70K, 20/50 grbx/eng for the power train. That's so over spent it is funny. Get real, Yes, I mean do the work yourself. Maybe have the machine work on the motor done and the grbx built, but there are a bunch of guys that will sell you everything you need (930 4 sp) from the flywheel to the cv jonts for less that 20K.

That leaves 50-55k for a motor. I sure that's enough for a modern take out turbo 6. Then turn the boost up and you can get pretty close. You won't feel any difference from 600-800hp anyway. There's not more than 20 sec of a lap at any armature track day track I know of that will use the that last 200hp. In fact now that I really think about it, I take back my 800hp. The car will be faster with 500-600 anyway. 400 in the right hands would more than likely do it.

As far as the "kit" goes, 80k gets you a lot of parts. My guess is that's plenty. Put it together yourself and get a race car paint job and you're done.

Sorry, hit the wrong key....

I'm sure Alex is speaking of Canadian dollars....

Although I am of the same sentiment as you, having tracked an engine-modified Viper in the past, the extra HP will be only useful out of the corner (given racing rubber) and perhaps as "head space" to ameliorate stress on the engine over time. So, a well-built 600-800 HP engine might be just what Alex is after for the track. Certainly not for street. I want to see what Alex ends up with....:thumbsup:

Come on Alex, 80K for the "kit" and 70K, 20/50 grbx/eng for the power train. That's so over spent it is funny. Get real, Yes, I mean do the work yourself. Maybe have the machine work on the motor done and the grbx built, but there are a bunch of guys that will sell you everything you need (930 4 sp) from the flywheel to the cv jonts for less that 20K.

That leaves 50-55k for a motor. I sure that's enough for a modern take out turbo 6. Then turn the boost up and you can get pretty close. You won't feel any difference from 600-800hp anyway. There's not more than 20 sec of a lap at any armature track day track I know of that will use the that last 200hp. In fact now that I really think about it, I take back my 800hp. The car will be faster with 500-600 anyway. 400 in the right hands would more than likely do it.

Some of us can't weld, don't have a mill, lathe, etc.. etc.., so all we can do is jigsaw and drill holes and do the basic stuff (and sure as heck wouldn't want to r&r something like a transaxle ourselves! :O ).

I'm at 90k and I havn't even started my build yet.....I guestimate I'll be at 110k finished. When I was looking at porsche engines, 20k on an air cooled porsche engine gets you like a bottom-of-the-line 250hp engine. You want 800hp...I don't think even my wallet could support that! I was seeing figures like 55k for 500hp :O

If somebody can build a porsche-powered 800hp, reliable, 917 that's nicely built (and by nice, I don't mean has a/c or BS like that, but that it uses quality components like aeroquip fittings, no the cheapest rubber hose they can fit at autovalue) for 150k, my hat's off to them.

Sorry, hit the wrong key....

I'm sure Alex is speaking of Canadian dollars....

Although I am of the same sentiment as you, having tracked an engine-modified Viper in the past, the extra HP will be only useful out of the corner (given racing rubber) and perhaps as "head space" to ameliorate stress on the engine over time. So, a well-built 600-800 HP engine might be just what Alex is after for the track. Certainly not for street. I want to see what Alex ends up with....:thumbsup:

Our exchange rate is on par with yours ;)

I have no track use intended for my 917...just street use. :)

Howard Jones

Supporter
Five Minutes looking. This was the best prospect and the most expensive of three turbo motors I found. I have no idea how much power it would make with another 15K in parts but I bet its enough for our theoretical 917. The other is a LOT cheaper and there's a whole slew of them on ebay

Alex I love ya, but throwing money at a problem isn't my style. Not to say it's yours just that it isn't mine.

BBI Autosport Porsche GT2 996TT 3 8LTR Fully Built Race Spec Engine Motor | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cc4b1e01&vxp=mtr

Now you go me going, 10 minutes so far.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-05-Porsc...:911|Make:Porsche&hash=item3cccee8542&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Five Minutes looking. This was the best prospect and the most expensive of three turbo motors I found. I have no idea how much power it would make with another 15K in parts but I bet its enough for our theoretical 917. The other is a LOT cheaper and there's a whole slew of them on ebay

Alex I love ya, but throwing money at a problem isn't my style. Not to say it's yours just that it isn't mine.

BBI Autosport Porsche GT2 996TT 3 8LTR Fully Built Race Spec Engine Motor | eBay

Porsche 911 996 Twin Turbo Engine Motor and 6 Speed Transmission Conversion | eBay

Now you go me going, 10 minutes so far.

99 05 Porsche 911 996 Twin Turbo Engine Motor Fresh Rebuilt | eBay

"Clutch on the motor caused a fire that burnt the headgasket. The motor was then stripped down, heads were checked by a machine shop and was fully rebuilt with new porsche parts." :uneasy:

I guess I should preface my post by saying if I would want a basically a brand new engine in one, not a, literal, fire-sale engine, haha

Also, you need to find a 993 engine, not a 996 - at least when I had posed the question to Fran, he said 993 air-cooled only. If you can find me a non-salvaged 993 twin turbo engine for $5k I will bow down to your shopping abilities.

Back