tie rod extensions ?? - GTD steering rack

Has anyone purchased tie-rod extensions for a GTD steering rack?? & if so where from?

Is the rack supplied by GTD a cortina part?

TIA for any help!

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Julian

Made my own. I have never seen these for sale ready made as it all depends on the new type of end you wish to fit. Not to say that someone somewhere doesn't sell them generically but my guess is most are made to order.

Start off with a peice of 19mm hex bar and then go to the lathe....

Howard Jones

Supporter
Malcolm, I guess you made them so that you could correct bump steer. Could you post a picture of your steering arm ends for us to have a look at? I have some ideas of my own and would like to see what works on other peoples cars before I start buying parts and material.

Thanks in advance.

Howard

Malcolm

Supporter
M14 rings a bell but would need to check to be certain. Pure luck on speed of response! Maybe a bit like my driving.....

Howard, no, not done for bump steer purposes! Raised my rack for that but rod ends changed purely for practical purposes of fitment to custom steering control arms on the uprights and use of heim joints instead of ball joints. To improve the ackerman situation I moved the point of connection between rod end and steering arm outwards. This made the track rod not long enough so hence I lengthened it. Bump steer not seemingly effected from recent driving experience ie past 5 years or so.

Cheers Malc,

Answering my own question (I should get out more!) I checked this morning & the thread on the GTD tie rod is indeed M14.

FWIW I've made new shorter steering arms that give me quicker steering & more ackerman. Also I get more clearance on full lock where the ARB drop links meet the wishbones.

Regds,

Malcolm

Supporter
It a compromise package thing, we all just need to find the set up that suits our priorities and driving styles. Looks like you are finding yours Julian!

Back