Tilton Carbon Clutch

I've just gone through another clutch and I need to address this problem once and for all. The clutches which I have been using are said to be rated at 800hp to 1,000hp (which I think is bulls##t) and no mention of their torque rating.
What I'm looking at is going to a twin or tripple Tilton carbon/carbon clutch which will hold the torque and be easier to drive than a sintered multiplate clutch. I'm a little concerned going to the tripple carbon as there might not be enough room on the input shaft on the Audi 01E box. Has anyone got any experience with these clutches or have used them on an 01E.
Also I need a recomendation of where I can get these clutches from.
The part # I'm looking at are 6572USGGG-S12 for the twin, or 6573HGG-S12 for the tripple.
Looks like a new flywheel will need to be made as well.

Thanks in advance
Bob

I sold many of them years ago in the ASA stock car series. Feel free to PM if you would like. They do wear better than say a standard 7.5 " racing clutch.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Arial>Two years, 2500 spirited street miles with Tilton carbon carbon double disc, Tilton concentric t\o bearing, Tilton custom flywheel. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><SPAN style=
<o:p></o:p>

My intentions were to track this car alot but life takes some turns :thumbsdown:<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 17.25pt; HEIGHT: 16.5pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.gt40s.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsdown.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>never the less I have put my Winsor's 550# torque to it:thumbsup: <v:shape style="WIDTH: 17.25pt; HEIGHT: 13.5pt" id=_x0000_i1026 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.gt40s.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Tim\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
I love this clutch. Would I do it again? Probably not, unless I was sure to track the car more often, the cost doesn't justify it. But again, I love this clutch and seriously I've never been happier.<o:p></o:p>
Pros:
Great response, grabs solid, reliable, holds fantastic.<o:p></o:p>
Cons:<o:p></o:p>
$4500 usd +, has a peculiar rattle at idle when not engaged, shutters a bit initially in first gear <o:p></o:p>
The first gear shutter IMO has to do a lot with the short travel of the hydraulic t\o, it take very little pedal movement to engage, no room to side step the clutch. The rattle I hear at idle appears to be the vibration of the carbon discs between plates because it disappears as soon as I put pressure on the pedal.
When I was deciding to 'invest' in Tilton I had some say it's not a streetable clutch. Baloney, it's just fine. There's several other unstreetable issues with a GT40 that far out weigh a carbon carbon clutch, ie visibility, hoosier tire grip in the wet, weather, clearance, people at gas stations:happy:, ect. <o:p></o:p>

If the cons don’t bother you then I highly recommend this package.

</SPAN>

Bob:

Has you transaxle bell housing been aligned with your crank shaft? (using a dial indicator) Are you using a multi-plate clutch now?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That "shudder" you feel is a bad thing...

I've never seen multiple disk clutches work well over the long haul on the street. Particularly in a heavier car (heavier than our GTs).

They are made to be like light-switches - either ON or OFF, no slipping in-between. The slipping generates heat which warps the floater(s) and then the clutch won't fully disengage...

I'd seek out a good single-disk alternative myself..

I wouldn't think it's essential to use expensive carbon/carbon just to hold that kind of power/torque.

If cost is a concern, I'd look to QuarterMaster for perhaps better value for the money. They can spline disc hubs the 01E's 15/16"-23 input shaft as they did for me. Now's a good time to work with them on custom applications since their racing season demands are at an ebb.

As Dave mentions, stock cars have been doing this successfully for years without issue.

Andy

I would also highly recommend QuarterMaster as an alternative. Have used them for many years up to 500HP and 520 TQ (real) without a single problem. Mostly Cobra applications.

Racer Dave, PM sent. The transaxle to crankshaft is aligned using a dial indicator and from memory the reading was 0.09mm (0.0035")of missalignment and tilton indicates no more than 0.25mm (0.010").

Spud, the clutches which I have been using are a single 9.5" in diameter with a clamp force of approx 1,500kg and in sintered and cerametallic material. They both don't like to be modulated and when their capacity is exceeded, they weld and damage everything around them ie: flywheel. The reason I'm going carbon/carbon is that they are much better to modulate and a smoother engagement that the metalic ones and have a higher torque capacity. Price is an issue.

Aladansane, thanks for the review.

Flatchat, I've looked into Jim's products as he came recomended by my mechanic. He does make some good products.

Hi Bob
I've got a Tilton triple carbon in my RF40 and so far it's been fine apart from some shudder on takeoff in 1'st. Engine is 550hp and gearbox RBT ZF. It's only been in for ~1000 km's and used for both road and track. The clutch was a used unit from one of the Supercar teams with plenty left on the plates.
As far as mating to your box I wouldn't know. Will Croll or Scott Owen (Melb) who sourced and installed mine may be able to help you.
The clutch is pretty much either on or off, but once you get used to it its fine, even in traffic.
Cheers

I am running a Mcleod dual disc set up on a smaller flywheel and it works great, very smooth engagement.
I did centralize the bellhousing and there are 6 mounting points on the SPF.
Hp is only 450 but they run this same set up behind much more engine then I have.
Dave

I've had some long talks with Jim Berry as he seems to be the #1 clutch guy in Aus. He came very highly recomended by a number of different sources including Chris (Flatchat). He's a very clued up guy with over 35 years in the racing industry. The old clutch, flywheel and input shaft have all been sent to him. Hopefully it wont take too long.

Back