Tire sizes

Tire sizes - quick check after looking around the forum. I've got the 19 front and 20 rear setup, I see RCR recommends 285/30/19 for the fronts, but I've seen some mention using 285/35/19... a taller tire. Checking because it's time to buy them, and I'd hate to buy the wrong ones as there's a couple hundred bucks difference between the sizes in the Michelin PSS series.

Joel K

Supporter
Jeff,

Absolutely do not buy 285/30/19. Here is a thread on tire size for the SLC With lots of pics. In my opinion 275/30/19 or 265/30/19 are the best choices.

Thanks Joel. That as the thread I was looking at that had Stephan’s 285/35 up front, I didn’t see anyone saying it was a bad idea, and why I asked.

Joel K

Supporter
Thanks Joel. That as the thread I was looking at that had Stephan’s 285/35 up front, I didn’t see anyone saying it was a bad idea, and why I asked.

You’re welcome Jeff, Stephan’s tires fit on his rims because he has 10” wide front rims. Most of us have 9.5” rims so the tire guys can barely fit the tires on the rims. One of my rims is all chipped up because they had such a hard time. If you knew you had the 10” you could use the 285s.

Keep in mind, I think Stephan had to remove a lot of the fender lip and maybe some of the splitter to make those tires work. You can see there is not much clearance.

I have the tiny 255s, if I did it all over again I would go with 265s on 9.5” rims or 275s on 10” rims.

I’m checking with Vicki. My PA has 9.5/10 as the wheel, but doesn’t say which one is being actually used, I didn’t specify. Thanks again.

Edit: They're 10s.

Last edited:
Jeff,

Keep in mind that all tires are different. Stephan, Cam, Joel, are running Michelin's. I heeded their advice and and bought 275/30 up front in Pirelli's, and i certainly could have gone up a size in width to 285, but not in height ( do not buy a taller tire than 30 series for the fronts ). I just took my front and rear clam off but i'll take a few pics this weekend. Hope that helps! I bought the Pirelli's because they were much cheaper, and I plan on replacing them after i get my car running and titled. Good luck!

Pirelli P Zero 275/30ZR19 – Qty 2
Pirelli P Zero 325/25ZR20 – Qty 2

I got the same size rears in Michelin's PSS series, but went with 30s instead of 35s up for the reasons you said - trying to keep the diameter smaller. I verified the fronts would fit the 10" wheel on the manufacturer site and checked the diameter to make sure they were reasonable (25.7" I think?).

Back