Tires with camber built in?

Camber Tires - Car Parts - Jay Leno's Garage

I saw this over at Jay Leno's garage and it caught my interest. I then read more about them at their terrible website here: Optima Sports Cambertire.com Tires with built in Camber for cars, trucks, suv

I really don't know what to think about these since your supposed to set 2 or so degrees of camber in your suspension for their 2 degree cambered tire. This seems like that would negate any benefit of the tire, but there must be more to it than meets the eye because the sidewalls are stiffer on the outside than the inside.

I also read that a small tire company called MH Racemaster, that exclusively makes drag tires, has entered a partnership with Optima Sports. I find it strange that they would partner with such a small operation unless there was some preexisting bond between the two companies. It also seems strange that they would partner with a company that makes drag tires. Here is that article:
Optima Sports Announces New Camber Tire Technology -- -- WALES, Wis., May 13 /PRNewswire/ --

I also find their test of the "140 treadwear rated" tire a little dubious since there is no standard for treadwear.

But; overall, I think this does look promising. I find their simplistic website more believable than a really flashy one designed to capture investor dollars. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well the theory sounds O.K. but tire wear and performance depends on a lot more than just camber. How they are inflated, tread compound and pattern, the suspension set up of your car, how and where you drive, road conditions etc. I would want to see some testimonials and talk to some people that have used them before parting with hard earned.

Darnel A.

Supporter
You would think the higher part of the tire would just wear first, until the tire is even like any other tire!

I don't get it.

I understand what the designer is trying to accomplish, but it just doesn't seem to me that this works from a cornering performanc standpoint. To be more specific, if the tire has built in camber (so the suspension can have a corresponding built in camber) allowing the tire face to sit flat on the road when unloaded (not cornering) and thereby avoid wearing the inner band when just riding down the road...well, that's great and all, but as soon as you go into a turn and load up the tire then you're not going to have a flat face on the road as you would with an un-cambered (square) tire thereby reducing cornering performance. Right?

Perhaps the above doesn't apply because we're talking about such a short side walled tire that the face of the tire doesn't deflect/distort between lateral loading (cornering) and not? But if that were the case, then "square" tires would work just fine, and without any camber.

hhhhmmmmm....I'm confused.

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I have a set of Goodyear slicks with camber built into the front tires. So I dont think the consept it self is new.

Regards
Trond

On the Leno show, Mr. Scott from Optima was saying they 'are currently looking for input from car clubs and he has the ability to make any size' and so on. Maybe you guys running the gulf flares should give him a call to see if he could make a street tire that would fit those flares.

Back