To Wrap the Exhaust or Not to wrap the exhaust

When I got the engine running - I can see a slight hint of red for the first 6 inches on the header. The supplied header is not prestine like some of the ones I see on other guys pictures and I am thinking I need to wrap it to keep the heat down and hit the quality of the headers. Any thoughts? I tired a couple sections but the wrapping smokes but I figure after a while it will stop smoking.

Randy V

Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I prefer to wrap them from end to end. Yes, it is harder on the metal over the years, but it helps keep the heat in check within the engine bay....
They do smoke “a LOT” when they are first started and run in for 30 minutes...
My advice is to only run it outdoors and put a large fan in place to blow the acrid smoke away...

Neil

Supporter
When I got the engine running - I can see a slight hint of red for the first 6 inches on the header. The supplied header is not prestine like some of the ones I see on other guys pictures and I am thinking I need to wrap it to keep the heat down and hit the quality of the headers. Any thoughts? I tired a couple sections but the wrapping smokes but I figure after a while it will stop smoking.
Bill, I've tried wrapping headers in the past and wasn't too pleased with the results. The wrapping tends to accumulate moisture when the headers cool down and cause then to rust. The Cerakote coating works much better. The coating does reduce the heat somewhat but it protects the surface and reduces rust & corrosion. It looks good, too.

Attachments

mark b.

Supporter
I've used wrap and sleeves, Like the sleeves. Usually if your headers are getting that hot you are not running enough distributor advance, something to check. Either run a vacuum advance or dial in more on the efi.

Neil

Supporter
Jet Hot used to be good but they have increased their prices dramatically and closed most of their operations. That's why I recommended Cerakote. The coatings are similar but the cost is reasonable and they have applicators in many locations.