Tornado build log

Re: Carlos Tornado build

Sorry guys no updates for a long ti me. But now for a very good reason (more to this later) a few more pictures and comments

As you can see a little bit of work has been done in the last few weeks.
-> The outer- and inner-paneling is nearly done
-> Roof center section mounted
-> Dashboard wired
-> Engine takes shape, fully rebuild 302 from 71
-> Steering mounted
-> A few more gearboxes found there way into my garage ;-)
-> pedal Box arrived
-> Front and Rear hood hinges are made (2 Euros for the material on the Junk Yard)

It comes together ;-)

cheers
(C)arlos

Attachments

• IMG_8167.jpg
    IMG_8167.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_8168.jpg
    IMG_8168.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_8169.jpg
    IMG_8169.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_8170.jpg
    IMG_8170.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_8171.jpg
    IMG_8171.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_8172.jpg
    IMG_8172.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_8173.jpg
    IMG_8173.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 427

Hi,
a lot of people asking about the price to build a Tornado GT40 and where to source cheaper parts.

I'm maintaining an Excel sheet to keep track on what I bought where and when. I assume the information inside might be useful to some of you so I want to share this information. I will update the sheet as new parts arrive or I find out something interesting.

My intention is not to harm other vendors business, as all of them have been always very supportive if you ask questions and if I read through the forum most of them support their customers during the build wether or not the parts have been bought from the vendor or sourced elsewhere.

The reason I'm doing this is a small email exchange I had with Mr. Sheldon over the last days asking for the correct lenght of the drive shafts.

So folks lean back, enjoy the emails and think twice before you are going to make business with tornado. (please read from bottom to top as it is continuos mail exchange

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Carlos

If you wish to use parts from other sources that is fine but please do not ask us to supply specifications or sizes of parts that we supply so that you can buy from elsewhere.

If you would like to buy parts from us thats OK. We are here to make a living.

Thanks

Andy
TORNADO SPORTS CARS est 1984
The Worlds Leading Manufacturer of Ford GT40 Replicas
Ford GT40 replica cars
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Heller" <[email protected]>
To: "tornado" <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: RESEND: Drive Shafts

Andy,
I am getting sick and tiered trying to get information out of you. Since 6 days I'm asking you a question and get nothing substantial.
If that's the way you want to treat me as a customer in future ?
Just let me know and I will react accordingly
Cheers
(C)arlos
--
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking

On Mar 19, 2009, at 6:58 PM, Carlos Heller wrote:

Andy,
so you want to tell me you don't know the length ?

I think a bit more verbosity is more constructive. Your answers are often not very satisfying to be honest

So please let me know what length it is using a UN1 gearbox

Cheers
(C)arlos
--
An open mind sees the world reflected within them, but a closed mind looks for the world to be their reflection. - Brian Winkler

On Mar 19, 2009, at 6:50 PM, tornado wrote:

Carlos

You will need to make some measurements

Thanks

Andy
TORNADO SPORTS CARS est 1984
The Worlds Leading Manufacturer of Ford GT40 Replicas
Ford GT40 replica cars
----- Original Message ----- From: "Carlos Heller" <[email protected]
>
To: "tornado" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:22 AM
Subject: Re: RESEND: Drive Shafts

Andy ?

can you please respond to my mail ?

Gruesse
(C)arlos Heller
--
Conventional wisdom says to know your limits. To know your limits you need to find them first. Finding you limits generally involves getting in over your head and hoping you live long enough to benefit from the experience. That's the fun part.

On Mar 18, 2009, at 11:17 AM, Carlos Heller wrote:

Hi Andy,

what is the correct length of the drive shafts ? As you might know, I have a set of brand new Granada Shafts and want a friend of mine to cut them to the right size
Thx a lot
(C)arlos

*** Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience! ***

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
I'm going to leave this without any further comment and it is up to you to decide what to do with this. All I say, I have been warned before I bought the kit, and it turns out these voices have been right. Also if the survival of a company is related to the sell of two driveshafts, the business doesn't run very good for the "world leading manufacture"

My conclusion ?
Never again a Tornado, never again a single part from Mr Sheldon!

My recommendation to Tornado ?
Stop finger-pointing to other vendors (MDA e.g.) if customers call you up, your spitefulness is beyond all bearing and start taking care about your customers, usually the people who feed you.

Cheers
(C)arlos

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

Carlos

So after good prices and free shipping you finally show your true colours.

I was suspicious from the begining and now I am proved right at last.

You seemed very happy at the begining (read your posts at the begining of this thread) but as soon as you did not get your own way it is you who becomes spiteful.

I will not be bullied by you.

I will not post here again!

Andy

Andy
Free Shipping, is a walloping lie, the parts have been ordered in Sep or October and paid on 29th of November during the pickup of the kit parts and haven't been ready to go with me as your suppliers didn't deliver in time.
Remaining parts have been delivered in March!
5 Month after they have been paid !
So why the hell should I pay for late delivery?

If someone doubts this, I'm happy to post this email conversation also...

I never complained about prices or quality!

You sell kit cars and if your margin is to small selling the basic kit to support your customer during the built process, change the business or rethink your fabrication process.

In your last email to me you showed your true colors.

We all don't mind not to the one of your famous posts again here.

Cheers
(C)arlos

OK, as many know, I am no Tornado/Andy Sheldon/Scott C. apologist - we've
had many disagreements here on the forum.

However, in this case, I think I have to side with Andy. I am not saying that
he absolutely should not send you the measurements, but I do not believe
he needs to, nor should you be upset should he choose not. How hard is it
to take the measurements yourself? One assumes that since you bought the
basic kit, you have some degree of mechanical aptitude and are a bit of a
self-reliant person. Andy has a right to protect his business/margins as it
were, and if you choose to go to third party suppliers for parts, I don't think
he needs to fulfill your needs and assist you in sourcing those parts.

Just my opinion, I am sure others have their's.

Ian

To all,
thx for the large amount of private mails about this topic. As said, I'm not going to comment on this anymore. What I had to say, is said.

However, coming back to the main topic, here are the latest pics.

All Body parts have been mounted and preparation just started. I must do this now as I have to prepare two cars for painting, my Cobra and the GT and I only want the dust once in my garage ;-)
Also I've stolen the rear wheels from my cobra to see where to start with the Offset. Looks pretty nice with the fat rear tires.

cheers
(C)arlos

Attachments

• IMG_8189.jpg
    IMG_8189.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_8190.jpg
    IMG_8190.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_8194.jpg
    IMG_8194.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_8195.jpg
    IMG_8195.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_8197.jpg
    IMG_8197.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 347
Carlos, If you had taken the time and invested the money to develop these parts for your product would you willingly give the information away? I think not. I've had no such problems with Andy at any time during my build. Questions have been responded to quickly and honestly. The few parts I've had fit problems with have been sorted out in a very open manner. I support Andy in not giving you his data. Figure it out for yourself!

Carlos, If you had taken the time and invested the money to develop these parts for your product would you willingly give the information away? I think not. I've had no such problems with Andy at any time during my build. Questions have been responded to quickly and honestly. The few parts I've had fit problems with have been sorted out in a very open manner. I support Andy in not giving you his data. Figure it out for yourself!

I agree with Bill on this. I've been dealing with Andy and Scott for the past year and both have been great. The customer support I've received has been amazing and I wouldn't have been able to do half of my current build without their help and support.

The price of parts may be cheaper elsewhere but I don't mind paying a bit more and buying directly from Andy as I know the spec's will be right for the car and each part will be supported by technical help from Andy & Scott when it comes to fitment. This technical knowledge is invaluable to myself and other builders.

Trev

Keith

Well Carlos, this is your build thread so I won't respond beyond my comment except to finally say I think you worked yourself up over a minor point really but one that has always been contentious. If you have the box, CV joints and rear uprights it is not difficult to measure your own install is it? I mean, it could be different from everyones else's!

Sorry, trying to be helpful - good luck with the rest of your build. I will post a silly joke over on the "Jokes" Paddock section that kind of illustrates where I'm coming from.. :)

Hi,
you know guys, I make it short and painless :)
I am not discussing this topic anymore. I will not change my opinion about Andy and what I had to say has been said and this remains unchanged........

However, coming back to what you are asking for :)
The car is street legal since Eastern this year and I drove it something like 4000km since then, even long runs like 500km a trip ......No problems so far beside a broken hydraulic cylinder for the clutch but that was all....It is not finished yet...painting will be done next year .....

The performance is ok, for a self build car but not comparable to a true sports car, but that wasn't my expectation...

I am pretty convinced with the weight, ended up ( prio. painting and some interior work) with around 900kg which is nice. It will even reduce a little bit more as I change rims and breaks soon after painting ....

As said, I already have my next project on the bench and will start the GTD in summer this year...I learned many little things during the previous build ( also from my Cobra) and I want to make sure the GTD will deliver the best results it can ......

Cheers
Skeleton

Back