Transmission pricing/sourcing

As a point of interest, I was wondering what people have paid for their transmission, and where did they come across them? I did a search on the forum and came up with nothing. I have been searching around locally and have run into hugh differences in prices. What is a good value? I was looking into the G50 as my 930 posi needs rebuilding and the prices I have been quoted are equal to what a used unit would run.( From what I have heard ) If members could take the time and list their make/year of transmission and aproximately how much they paid for them (or would expect to pay), and their sources, it would be apreciated by more than just me.
Thanks all.

Bill

Bill, the Audi 016 boxes go from about $200 to $300, and I've heard of several people picking them up for $75. Definitely the cheapest gearbox out there.

Bill, et al,

My G50 (1987) cost me $4,300, including shipping, and Quaife LSD installation.
So far, it has proven to be VERY tough!

Bill

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Bill Bayard ]

Jim,

It seems to work just fine. Has no problem turning both tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes chirps both tires in 4th, depending on how I shift.
The lockup is pretty immediate, as is evidenced in the tire marks that I laid down, when testing it out.
I have never noticed it buck on sharp turns at very slow speed, and the in and out of lockup, is very smooth, with no audible clunking noise whatsoever. IMHO, Quaife builds a very strong unit.

Bill

G

I bought my G50 from PAP for $2K delivered to the front of my garage. They have been mentioned a couple of times on the forum as having a good reputation amongst the Porschephiles and are located near Atlanta. I had a choice of an 87 or an 88 for basically the same price, but the 87 had fewer miles and came from a car that had a head-on. The 88 had more miles and the car had rolled and burned. I chose the 87. When I groused about the throw out stuff not being included, they quickly sent it to me at no cost.

Bill, hearing your experience with the LSD makes me kick myself now. At the same time I was talking to PAP, a guy in New York had a G50-50 with a LSD ($2200 as I recall) and I decided that I didn't want the LSD in a street car. I thought it would have a negative impact on the drivability. Oh well, live and learn. I will eventually have Powerhaus II change the ratios and will probably add the Quaife LSD when I do that.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Lynn,

Hindsight always seems to be 20/20, doesn't it?
I wish that I had been around for that $2200
G50/50(turbo box), myself. What a steal that would have been! A lot of the G50/50's had ZF LSD's in them, as well as tougher internals and case.
My G50 ratios could stand to be a bit higher, but since I don't anticipate running LeMans anytime soon, I'll stick with what I have.
How's your car coming along, by the way?

Bill

I paid $ 250 for my Audi. They are quite common in the US. I'll spend $ 150 to have the local shop inspect and re-seal it before
I install it. How long it will last is a good question. Don't plan on holeshots...
but don't plan on Granny shifting either.

If I start blowing it up, I'll probably trade up to a G-50. From what I've seen,
that will set me back $ 3000 to $ 5000
for the trans and conversion parts. Ouch!

MikeD

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Lynn, If you can find the gentlemen's number with the G50/50 I would apreciate it. I have no problem investing in a telephone call even though the trans has probably already been sold. How is your build coming. Thanks Gregg

Back