Trinary Switch Use

Have got a factory built MDA GT40 1969 Le Mans recreation. There is a trinary switch on the dashboard for the fuel pumps, I presume! What is the correct use of this switch. There are two fuel gauges, one showing a quarter full and the other full. How do I get them to be the same level?

Chris,
I believe the switch is to switch between the two tanks. When the one that is being used runs low you can switch to the other one. Once they are both low,,,, its time to fill up. You can't make them the same level without a crossover line between the two tanks. If you are interested in doing that, there are a lot of considerations and decisions that you will have to make.

Bill

Usually these switches were left pump, off and right pump. To get the gauges to read correctly you will probably have to adjust the floats on the tank sending units. Frank Catt at Wealden Engineering in East Sussex can undoubtedly help you out. I think his number is 1323 843839

Hi Chris

The tanks as originally detailed in the MDA build manual are separate and have a gauge on each and a pump for each controlled by the switch. There are pros and cons and some need for management especially when on low fuel levels in hilly areas, the fuel pickup is at the back of the tank and the tank is wedge shape so on down hill or braking the fuel runs to the front.
I fill both then run the first to half full then switch over and run the tank almost dry as I can go back to the first tank on downhill. This situation usually happens on hills in slow traffic / traffic lights.
It is not an issue when you know, but I was caught out a couple of times at first.. stressful!

If you can make it to the meeting at The Dog Inn we can clear up lots of these tips

Regards

Stephen

Back