Trip to AK Sportscars

Took a visit up to AK today with a friend who is getting a Cobra build.
I can say i was very impressed with the setup they have there. Different units for different stages of the builds - clean and professional.

Extremely friendly people, think they'd have given me an IV of tea if they had one. Neil spent a good amount of time running us both through the different cars and build options. The passion that everyone who we spoke to today oozed out of them so personally, I will have no issue buying through them and look forward to putting my deposit down.

The GT40 is still awaiting a confirmed price list etc and they will be making a build log of their first one for future buyers.
Currently around a 6 month wait list for a chassis, few people on the books already.
They have said they will be offering the car as kit/parts, rolling chassis or fully built (fully built by them will have to be with coyote engine for IVA though).

They will be sticking to Mick's design build and using same parts etc, some parts will be made in house eventually but majority as the quality was so good they will continue to use them! As it stands they are offering the car with either the Renault or ZF/ZFQ fitment as standard options - others can be done at your request but no patterns for them so will be custom at the moment. From what I've seen they are there for the buyers to get the best car they can make whether the parts come through them or not - with their cobras they even give you a sheet of recommended suppliers for good prices for bits you may need!

Didn't take any pictures of the build units as was too busy looking around it all :rolleyes: oops.

Few pics of their showroom and one of their cobra chassis (sorry there wasn't a similar for the 40.

PHOTO-2022-01-10-18-19-57.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-10-17-20-57.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4674.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-10-18-20-41.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-10-18-20-39.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-10-18-20-16.jpg

PHOTO-2022-01-10-18-20-09.jpg

Apologies for the orientation of some of the pics - typically its the GT40 ones - facepalm.
They are the correct orientation on my machine - the page loads them ok but once finished uploading it inverts them - any ideas im more than open to suggestions!

photo-2022-01-10-18-20-39-jpg.120091

Is that re-cast Jaguar uprights with brake mounts on them that I see.
weren't Jaguar normally inboard brakes?

All looks very clean and nice.

I hope that AK cars continue to do the Southern GT rear uprights. I had been eyeing off a set of those, will need to make contact at some stage and see what is possible.

I hope that AK cars continue to do the Southern GT rear uprights. I had been eyeing off a set of those, will need to make contact at some stage and see what is possible.

i did ask about all the suspension etc and they said it will all be the same as what was offered by SGT. They said no point changing a good product.

Hi Chris,
It was good to see you yesterday. Thank you for coming up to Peterborough to visit and I'm glad you liked what you saw. It's even more important to know that you felt properly looked after. We're finding our feet with the Southern GT project and will be starting the build of our first chassis next week for delivery to our first customer soon. Very happy to see anyone who wants to visit and talk 40s (or Cobras for that matter!), but please phone first. We are now a sponsoring vendor so I hope it's ok to put our details in here. Phone 01733 267633, email: mail at aksportscars.co.uk. I didn't realise I had such a coffee habit:). Neil

Please note I edited the email link.
I replaced @ with at. This was done to help prevent spammers and robots from attacking his site.

Regards Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to do with me, I’ve never owned an AK product, but the one thing you can be assured of is their excellent reputation within Cobra replica circles. They have an excellent product and first class after sales service. I’m sure their introduction of the AK40 will further enhance that reputation.
Simon

Woooouhhh ; effectivly very nice showroom and nice products !!
So Southern Gt's future customers can be confindent for following years production !!! good luck to Neil

Malcolm

Supporter
I had a good long chat with Neil a week or so ago and would echo the nice chap comments above. Sounds like they are still "unpacking the boxes" after their taking on the SGT40. I was looking into a rear brake upgrade on my GTD (with SGT rear chassis conversion) and Neil said they would be very happy to help non pure SGT and AK40 customers. Bodes well for the future for both AK and customers!

Don’t worry lads you’ll be alright with the boys at akI’ve dealt with that company for 25 years building two of the cars personally been involved with six or seven builds and manufactured exhaust for many cars that come out of the factory, I cannot speak highly enough of the people that I have been personally involved with when ever I’ve built a car the most important thing is the quality of the product and the people you buy from you’ve got to deal with them people for months and I’ve never had any problems whatsoever dealing with Ken or John really nice people. ,I feel very confident in saying that the Southern will thrive under the leadership of ak and if it’s at all possible they will make it better

Hi Chris,
It was good to see you yesterday. Thank you for coming up to Peterborough to visit and I'm glad you liked what you saw. It's even more important to know that you felt properly looked after. We're finding our feet with the Southern GT project and will be starting the build of our first chassis next week for delivery to our first customer soon. Very happy to see anyone who wants to visit and talk 40s (or Cobras for that matter!), but please phone first. We are now a sponsoring vendor so I hope it's ok to put our details in here. Phone 01733 267633, email: mail at aksportscars.co.uk. I didn't realise I had such a coffee habit:). Neil

Please note I edited the email link.
I replaced @ with at. This was done to help prevent spammers and robots from attacking his site.

Regards Brian
Thank you Brian - I'll remember that in future.
Best wishes,
Neil

Don’t worry lads you’ll be alright with the boys at akI’ve dealt with that company for 25 years building two of the cars personally been involved with six or seven builds and manufactured exhaust for many cars that come out of the factory, I cannot speak highly enough of the people that I have been personally involved with when ever I’ve built a car the most important thing is the quality of the product and the people you buy from you’ve got to deal with them people for months and I’ve never had any problems whatsoever dealing with Ken or John really nice people. ,I feel very confident in saying that the Southern will thrive under the leadership of ak and if it’s at all possible they will make it better
Hi Mark,

I hear your car has passed the IVA, well done. Give me a call when you are free for a chat. Oh and do the 40 guys know your real name. lol

Regards
Jon AK

Back