Twin turbos anybody?

To keep things in perspective a standard G50 will cope with 500 hp without too much trouble and we ran a G97 with 700hp and no issues...and a used G50 can still be purchased for $3500-4000 all day

Fran, what do G97s usually cost? Do you see the G97s as the best option for about 560 whp and 570 rear wheel torque?

Matt.

G97/50 or GT2 /GT3 boxes will handle that with no problems...they are around 12k refurbished....Contact Erik at Gbox...I know he has some inventory

But how about hewland vgc?seems to be good til 1100hp

Attachments

• 04012013432.jpg
    04012013432.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 404
Question.. Fran, you mentioned using the g-50/97 transmissions in this car..
What do you know about the cost to modify one of these to handle a 1000-1200hp application? I know someone is doing it, as there are a few protomotive 997tt running around with 1200hp and a couple 9ff cars in the 1100-1300hp range..

And what exactly will it take if you were to say install a 2000hp tom nelson lsx engine in the slc? Is there a transmission/transaxle available to handle that? I mean, you see most of his cars use 3 speed automatic drag racing transmissions.. except i know of a 1800hp mosler mt900 he built that had a 6 speed of some sort. I believe it may have been sequential..

I say this because my dream is to build a standing mile/roll race/top speed dominant slc powered by a 441sbc or 454lsx race gas warrier twin turbo built by nelson racing engines. and even in low boost are capable of 1200-1500ft/lbs of torque on pump gas!

Ran across something cool today while picking my car up. These are the guys that fab'd up my exhaust...

lambo1n.jpg

Well over 1000hp at the wheels. I'd imagine this drivetrain would fit nicely in an SLC. It'd be stupid...and expensive...but fun as hell!

The best part about it...they told me I can drive it when it's all back together :thumbsup:

TT V10? Gallardo?

I like the look of the black intake and exhaust. I'd go with that kind of look for an Apex instead of the really polished stuff usually seen on tricked out DSM's.

Question.. Fran, you mentioned using the g-50/97 transmissions in this car..
What do you know about the cost to modify one of these to handle a 1000-1200hp application? I know someone is doing it, as there are a few protomotive 997tt running around with 1200hp and a couple 9ff cars in the 1100-1300hp range..

And what exactly will it take if you were to say install a 2000hp tom nelson lsx engine in the slc? Is there a transmission/transaxle available to handle that? I mean, you see most of his cars use 3 speed automatic drag racing transmissions.. except i know of a 1800hp mosler mt900 he built that had a 6 speed of some sort. I believe it may have been sequential..

I say this because my dream is to build a standing mile/roll race/top speed dominant slc powered by a 441sbc or 454lsx race gas warrier twin turbo built by nelson racing engines. and even in low boost are capable of 1200-1500ft/lbs of torque on pump gas!

The Porsche gearbox is a great choice just due to the fact that when (Not if) you do blow it up there are ZERO issues getting parts for the box. There are also strong internals out there for a box. I myself really like GT gears internals. Much stronger then stock, you can pick what ever ratio you want, you can mix and match between straight cut or helical and their primary shaft which contains 1st and second is much much stronger. It will cost you about 15g to do an all options box with one of Guards limited slips. GT2/GT3/Cup Gears | Guard Transmission

As per Toms motors, he can build that motor right out to 474ci. Sure it would be great to build that all out texas mile car but then at the end of the day you would have a purpose built car and would that be what you want. So many of my Porsche clansmen have built these big turbo'ed roll on racers. To me that is just as boring as crap.

Tom is building about 3 motors right now for SLC's.

Last edited:
I do not see that as being a copy, the differances in the exhaust alone is huge, especially the way they each did there crossover. You are right though about the cat skinning, you work with the space you are given so how do you make this radically new set-up!

Someone copied someone, this is a UR TT version:

LamborghiniGallardoLP560-4.Orange.TwinTurbo-650x487.jpg

That being said of course there is only so many ways to skin a cat.

The Porsche gearbox is a great choice just due to the fact that when (Not if) you do blow it up there are ZERO issues getting parts for the box. There are also strong internals out there for a box. I myself really like GT gears internals. Much stronger then stock, you can pick what ever ratio you want, you can mix and match between straight cut or helical and their primary shaft which contains 1st and second is much much stronger. It will cost you about 15g to do an all options box with one of Guards limited slips. GT2/GT3/Cup Gears | Guard Transmission

As per Toms motors, he can build that motor right out to 474ci. Sure it would be great to build that all out texas mile car but then at the end of the day you would have a purpose built car and would that be what you want. So many of my Porsche clansmen have built these big turbo'ed roll on racers. To me that is just as boring as crap.

Tom is building about 3 motors right now for SLC's.

I'm not surprised Tom is building some SLC motors.. i wish i had played my cards differently and pulled the trigger on an SLC a few years back before there were any customer cars on the road. Didn't have enough forsight at the time. lol! Kyle, are you doing an SLC? or something else? It seems like i saw you mention that Tom was building you some nasty NA motor for your project? is that correct?
I know what you mean about having a purpose built car, but if i don't outline some "purpose" for what i want, i feel like i'll just be aimlessly building a compromise. I would like to think the car could do the standing mile, roll racing, and eventually some hill climb action. Either way, even if I decide that doing an all out race gas warrior engine by TOm, i still would choose a milder twin turbo sbc build anyway, by Tom. I just can't see building an slc and not having a wild ass engine in it. A stock or mildly modified corvette engine doesn't do ANYTHING for me. I want a car that will be down right scary! And i want to pull up to events like tx2k and be the guy that finally can drag an ugr lambo!
Honestly as much as i want power, i would love to have something more exotic than a push rod v8. It seems like i saw Fran mention a r8 v10 2wd drivetrain is going in an slc soon! I think that would be a really cool route to go. Hard to justify the extra money, but there's not much that sounds like those v10s. And from the work ugr has done, it's obvious that any power goal you can imagine is within reach.
I know that a NA motor would be the best choice for road racing, but turbos are where my heart is at, and i want boost!
I've even looked into doing something small displacement v8 turbo. Like a hartley v8, with twin turbos, or maybe a bmw s65. But all those options are just astronomical in terms of cost to performance.
I'm rambling a bit.. but it seems like you have the itch for a wild slc, that's alot more than just a ls7 or ls3 powered car.. what did you decide? and what are your goals?

Twin turbo Lexus/Toyota 1UZ-FE? 4l DOHC V8, ~200-215kg (with all ancillaries), ~260-300hp stock NA, ~550hp turbo'd but unmodified and >1000hp if you want to go the whole hog...

Twin turbo Lexus/Toyota 1UZ-FE? 4l DOHC V8, ~200-215kg (with all ancillaries), ~260-300hp stock NA, ~550hp turbo'd but unmodified and >1000hp if you want to go the whole hog...

As an example 895hp@7000rpm on 23.1psi boost. Claims the crank is good for 1500hp!
RATS

Back