Un1 To Chevy V8 Or Ford V8

I Have Access To A Un1 From An 88-89 Eagle Medallion, I Believe That Is The R25 Type.

Question>>>

What Would The Adaption Require For A Chevy Or Ford V8 Motor, Assume A 350 Chevy Or 302/351 Ford Unit?

Any Comments Or Direction Appreaciated!!!

I Am Particualry Looking For Info On Clutch, Bellhousing, Any Adpater? Shift Linkage And Cv's.

Thanks Again Gents!

Thanks but ?

I am mainly looking for information on the adaption and which is easier, the motor at this point does not matter, either ford or chavy, which requires what is my main concern.

thanks, any direction?

Ron Earp

Admin
Howard Jones said:
Lola, use Chevy
GT40, use Ford

Now now Howard, I had to do some leg work to find the Gurney Lola that is Ford powered so I could avoid those Chevys. :D So, we'll be doing a Ford Powered Gurney RCR-70 clone!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Un1 to Ford is available over here (UK)

Look at Tornado web site (sponsors the forum) and all the parts are priced up in GBP - the $ price is way off at present as the $ is weak. But it will show you the way forward

Ian

I have two available?

I have two of these avialable, if anyone is interested. I am still trying to decide if I will go this route, but if not I'd be happy to pass them along to a fellow enthusiast. At a cost of $500 per box, they can't be that bad of an option.

Thanks gents.

No UN1 to chevy though, huh?

Hey Ryan. Interesting about the Eagle Medallion. Do you know the range of years that had the UN1? I pulled the transaxle out of an '85 Renault sportwagon to discover it was of the NG series. Very similiar but too weak. They are more suited to a Lotus application. There are a few Medallions around here so.... Thanks. Cheers, Dave

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
un1 to chevy or ford

Ryan

We have bellhousings and clutches to bolt a UN1 to both Ford V8 and Chevy V8 small blocks.

Thanks

Andy

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ryan, Andy has it right. If you are starting from nothing then use a bellhousing that will adapt the engine choice to the gearbox. Renault to SBF bellhousings are out there including Tornado"s. This will save a lot of adapt this to that. Simply use any Ford flywheel, starter and clutch (with proper input shaft splines). The friction disk is the easiest thing to modify if you have to.

As far as Renault's go if you are going to buy one then get a R21 with the 3.44 final ratio. Strongest Renault box and best road use ratio.

Thanks

Yah, I believe the years that had the Un1 was 87-88 or maybe to 89>?
Dave I believe they came in the Eagle Medallions for only two years, afeter 87/88. that' probably why you found that ng series in tthe sportwagon. I was looking at ng series and they are small.

I have been doing some research and they seem to be a well suited box, up untill the higher hp levels, and then their is the Derek Bell upgrade (as they say) that does not fail from what I have been able to find. Diff cooling, and tourqe load seems to be important in these, and other than that, a well sorted box.

I have been debating using this box or the pouplar 016 audi unit, what is your take on this gents. Which would you recomend assuming I had both boxes in front of me and motor was of no concern, it's really not. I can pick up a 302/351 anywhere for $500 for a mock up. I have right now a '69 327, from a camaro bored over to a 350 with '71/'72 big valve vette heads. It's a good motor. but no worries if I don't use it, I'll find something else for it. Another project I'm gonna have to buy, oh well :) Well fellows, an Audi 016, or the UN1, I'll prob build two units, a Ford powered Un1 system, and A chevy powered Audi 016, but which first. The valkyrie has the ability to swap motor and trans units as a whole with a "UMETS" system now available from FIBER FAB, which carries the engine and trans unit on a removable subframe with the suspension attached, it's pretty trick to say the least.

Check it out at Fiberfab on the net >>> http://www.fiberfab.us/default.htm

PS>>>

Thanks for the helpful advice on adaption, which seems to pretty easy if I was to import an adapter, clutch components seem to regularly available over here. Thanks Andy on the UN1 to chevy adapter. Or Ford, options, I like that. I'll have to check to see final drive ratio's and model # on those and post my results after pickin' them up. I appreaciate the come back on this and thanks for the direction on the R21, Howard.

Ryan

The UNI/Audi debate has been raging for years.
Bottom line is the Audi is cheap, easier to find in the US, and adapter pieces
are easily obtained from Kennedy. By the way...did you see the 5.0/audi/KEP
kit referenced in the E-bay section of the Forum?

Mike

Yessss

Yes I have, and plan on bidding on it. It's a 5N box, but everything is their, except the electronics and cpu for the motor, which to me is almost a deal breaker. I hate trying to put a motor (EFI) back together if I didn't ake it apart. I'm in CO, so shipping would be not to exspensive for me. Looks like a pretty good combo. I wish he was just selling the trans and the adapter but what ya gonna do!

We'll see who gets it and for what $$$.

Oh and sorry for the spelling errors in my previous posts ( A.D.D. ). I'll try to keep 'em relatively error free.

Thanks Mike, as that confirms my suspicion that the Audi unit is more of a default because of availability. The un1 would make more sense to me at this time.

Thanks gents, and good luck to who ever bids and wins on the "EBAY 302 AUDI" package.

Last edited:
They were an NG series

So I showed up after calling around and allegedly finding two transaxles from an 88-89 Eagle medallion, thinking they were Un1's. From what I gather they had them in them here in the US. Well nope, no Un1, one was an NG3003 and the other was an NG9003. I have found numerous places on the net that says the un1 came in the Eagle medallion, any info on this? does any one know the viability of these in a mid engine vehicle?

Thanks, still looking for a tranny!

Re: I have two available?

Hello,
I am looking for my french GT 40 replica an adaptor plate to bolt a Renault UN1 to Ford V8 302 cc (from a Mustang 1966)
Have you still the solution ?
Regards,
JP Louvot
Vichy (France)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
A number of places have these that I am aware of - or at times have seen them advertised.

Tornado Sportscars (See Andy's posting above)
NF Auto who made Fe-r-r-ari P4 replicas
Some kit makers doing Lamo replicas
Chris Cole
Probably Frank Catt
Probably MDA cars
Probably Mick Solis from Southern

Ian

Use a nice LS7, at least, if the box does not shift propperly, you have enough power to follow the others.
This box is already in trouble with 250 HP and 350 Nm. The second gear is protected by a floating fork acting on a spring, to avoid synchro troubles.
At least buy a box from Chris. It shall be better for sure.
Wanni

Use a nice LS7, at least, if the box does not shift propperly, you have enough power to follow the others.
This box is already in trouble with 250 HP and 350 Nm. The second gear is protected by a floating fork acting on a spring, to avoid synchro troubles.
At least buy a box from Chris. It shall be better for sure.
Wanni
Check the assembly drawing

Attachments

• Gearbox_Cutaway.jpg
    Gearbox_Cutaway.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 635
Hi Wanni,

Perhaps "Louvot" does not have the funds to accquire such a box?

The UN1 is a proven axle for street/track day conditions, when used behind engines of less than 400 HP.

With the correct modifications they are very reliable to much higher outputs.

But as an expert you are aware of this I'm sure, and I am certainly biased.

Best regards,
Scott

Ive had boxes from Renault 20's that are of the UN1/369 style and from the same family of cars, later Renault 20's that have had the NG3 box as well. Renault used both boxes in their cars. As for production, well, up till the 2000's or more, they were (the UN1Style) boxes produced for Lotus' V8 cars. The Renault 21turbo models all have the box you are looking for and they were produced into the early 90's. Ive got a Phase 3 box with 1992 casting marks. I thought the Medallian has a very high ratio diff? Something around the 4.11 or higher??

Re: I have two available?

I have two of these avialable, if anyone is interested. I am still trying to decide if I will go this route, but if not I'd be happy to pass them along to a fellow enthusiast. At a cost of $500 per box, they can't be that bad of an option.

Thanks gents.

No UN1 to chevy though, huh?
Bruce,

I just read an old post of yours. Did you sell the UN1 transaxle?

Joz

Back