Upright interchange

Will the rear uprights usually interchange from manufacturer to manufacture? Like a set of aluminum uprights bolt in place of steel ones? The reason I am asking is to convert a car built with parts from overseas cars to uprights to use US available parts like DRB's that uses Corvette stubs and brakes.
Also with the front uprights/spindles would it be difficult to change from Granada to Corvette? Would it require remaking the entire A-arms.
What are the quality, accessability and cost of Granada spindles, brake disks and pads?

Thank you
Jim

Hi Jim,
The simple answer is no, any changes you make are going to have a knock on effect and will demand other changes.
Changing uprights can effect pretty much everything from wheels through brakes and even right back to the chassis suspension mounting points.
Only go into these sort of changes if you've a genuine complaint to address and keep the changes as minimal as possible, otherwise you'll just create a massive amount of work and expense for no good reason.

Jim
Stuart hit the nail on the head....changing uprights even if you can get them to fit probably change too many chassis dynamics to be worthwhile unless you are willing to change mounting points, ride height etc.. Also depending on the uprights dimensions, things like roll center, virtual swingarm length, camber gain and initial settings will change...the simple answer is unless you are into re-desigining the whole rear geometry try some upgrades on brakes or whatever to acheive your goals.
Cheers
Phil

Malcolm

Supporter
I have done what youy have thought of doing but I changed my front uprights. I had reasons to make the change but after 5 years of running my front uprights differently to everyone else I do not consider it to have been a completely successful exercise! Maybe I did not chuck enough money at it? I believe my theory's were sound but....it is a BIG can of worms! Do not open unless you really have to. This winter's project is to refit the GTD racing uprights again.

Back