V6 in sl-c???

Ron Earp

Admin
For the average hobbyist it's about impossible to beat a NA V8. A TT V6 in a self-built car will need a lot of ECU modification to run without being in its parent application, and might need a lot of repackaging as well. It'd certainly be a project for the more advanced builder. Now maybe Ford will create a Ecoboost V6 sold through Ford Motorsports that would include the ECU and software, much like Ford and GM do with some of their crate motors, but until that happens you'd be stuck using an aftermarket ECU and designing a lot of operating strategies from scratch which would be time consuming for most people.

I think the answer to this V6 turbo engine over V8 or V10, is very simple. Would the current large super sportscar manufacturers being do anything with these new V6 turbo engines if the use of those engines wasn't forced upon them by government regulations?

The answer: These V6 engines would not be talked about at all.

The governments are not forcing any of the supercar manufacturers to put in V6 engines. Ferrari can put V12's in their cars all day long if they choose. All they would have to do is pay the fines for not meeting the EU Homologation standards for fuel efficiency.

I agree with Ron, the most efficient path is the LS series crate engines. GM built these to be stand alone, bolt-in, turn key products. Choosing any other engine is asking to add additional $$ and frustration to the project. But if someone chooses to install a turbo V6, why attack them? As one person said: "I built my 500HP gen 1 SBC for about $5K. If you can't afford that then I would recommend you don't do a top of the line kit car like and SLC and others like it. V6's belong in Miata's". I don't see attacks for the installation of the Porsche flat 6 or the Rotary engine in these cars, why just the V6?...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Ron Earp

Admin

No, these sorts of engines have been around a long time. They continually get better with newer technology that enables them to shine: direct gasoline injection, variable valve timing, precise ECU control over timing/boost allowing high compression with boost, etc., and some of these technologies also apply to NA V8s as well.

As consumers demand more performance from the engines in all respects, boosting them is a logical engineering progression we all benefit from. The format of the TT V6 might not fit into the vision you have for your supercar, but it doesn't make it any less effective.

Another aspect to me is the hobbyist has a greater flexibility to go wild and make something unique. Yes it may cost more, a lot more, but if everyone put a LS376/480 in their SLC that'd be pretty boring I think. Efficient, cheap, easy, and boring.

We don't hear much on this forum about the ones that have the Ferrari motor, Audi V-10, Porsche 6 (Tim updates us once in awhile), etc. I like seeing the build logs of all of your cars, but those are more interesting to me because they are forging their own path.

I also love the music some of those make much more than an LS. LS sounds like hot rod, V-12 sounds like supercar.

I think the answer to this V6 turbo engine over V8 or V10, is very simple. Would the current large super sportscar manufacturers being do anything with these new V6 turbo engines if the use of those engines wasn't forced upon them by government regulations?

Six cylinder engines have long been used where space constraints or weight make them desirable. Many legendary cars had them, e.g. Lancia Stratos, Ferrari Dino, Porsche 911, Jaguar XJ220, Nissan GT-R and Honda NSX.

Personally I could build a v6 TT for low money if done right and weight less than a V8 TT, but you have to know how to do it and usually have done it before, which most have not. I pondered the idea of a V6 TT for a long time and it makes sense a on weight to hp to where that weight is in the car. In the end I decided on a V8 for the sound and feel and the cost is about the same for me as some parts could cost more on the V6, but less of them so it is a balance.

For me to decide what engine to put in there are a lot of factors.
1-skill level of the builder - Can you fabricate?
2-ease of install - ls is done and done done and done
3-What sound?
4-What hp level? 300, 400, 500, 600, 700+
5- What type of hp?NA, tq, high rpm, turbo boost fun, SC boost fun
6-engine tune capabilities
7-Are you doing it yourself or buying it done
8-Do you like to do what others do or different
9- Why did you buy your SLC?
10- Do you want low engine weight, low weight in the car, weight as far forward as possible?
11- Do you want to be unique or like others?

I think when you start asking those questions the V6TT can be a really good match for some owners/builders depending on how they use the car and their fancy. I almost did it, almost and still think it would make a stupid fast car.

934hp V6 Toyota 3mzfe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNWbZ53_CZo

We don't hear much on this forum about the ones that have the Ferrari motor, Audi V-10, Porsche 6 (Tim updates us once in awhile), etc. I like seeing the build logs of all of your cars, but those are more interesting to me because they are forging their own path.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but you can assume how I feel about it. :shy:

The rebuilt engine went in earlier this week and I'm hooking up all the plumbing, electrical, transmission, etc right now. Absolutely zero regrets on building the car with this engine. Thanks to the many folks who have been supportive and interested (and bugging me for info - sorry!). I'm sorry for all the rest who think I made a bad choice. I really don't care. I'm having fun and that's all that matters.

And to put this in real-life context, check out the technologies of the top four LMP1 LeMans competitors this year:
V6 Diesel turbo hybrid (flywheel) mid-engined, AWD
V4 Gas turbo hybrid (battery) mid-engined, AWD
V8 Gas NA hybrid (supercapacitor) mid-engined, AWD
V6 Gas twin turbo hybrid (2x flywheel) front-engined, front wheel drive only

And even the AWD strategies are different between them.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Oh O............I said something wrong...........sorry. But either I was misunderstood or more that likely I got it wrong in the first place.

I thought I read that someone was putting a inexpensive V6 in a SLC to save money. I was trying to point out that a gen 1 American V8 with really good horsepower can be done for very modest amounts of money. You could rebuild a junkyard 350 Chevy to 300Hp using all Chevy pieces for 1 or $2K and the car would run good with it.

And I said "if you can't afford at least 5K all in for a modestly powerful V8 then maybe an SLC isn't for you." I am probably wrong about that too. Everybody has a budget and some are lower that others. That doesn't mean that they can't enjoy our hot rod hobby just as much as others with more robust resources.

On the idea of a full effort twin turbo V6 making big V8 power. I'd love to see it done. I still think that it would be a shame to drop a 200HP V6 in one of these cars but that just me.

Back