VDO gauges

Hi Guys,
Does anybody know if a voltage stabiliser (12v Zener Diode) is required for the supply to VDO Cockpit Vision gauges (apart from Volts gauge)or do they have inbuilt regulation. All the schematics for the gauges show them wired direct to "ignition" without this Zener.I know some cars do and the CAV is one of them but is it necessary?
cheers
Dave

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Dave, All my VDO gauges are fed straight off a switched +ve from the ignition switch - no zeners / regulators. No problems at all so far.

One trick with calibrating a VDO speedo - the instruction sheet says to hold the button in whilst turning the ingition on, wait for the the right setting mode to appear, take finger off the button, then start the engine, etc...

If your switched +ve is taken off the Accessories terminal like mine, it will kill the speedo setting procedure as it switches off during cranking.

I solved this by just holding the speedo button in whilst cranking & starting the engine, waiting for the right "mode" to appear, then lifting off the button.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Peter, many thanks for the info and the tip re speedo.I would have stumbled on the same problem eventually!
cheers

Back