Very Fast Gentlemen

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
These men were my heros.

I'm proud to say I saw all of these Champions race, although one was a "Historic" race. By my count 19 World Championships.

10171193_506503649471806_4493318593540241987_n.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo Jim. While I recognize most, the shadows on some are giving my old eyes a problem. Please ID. My guess: Is it FR l-r Piquet, Fangio or Surtees, Senna, Brabham, BR L-r (?) Stewart, (?)

Hope all is well with you and again pleasure seeing you earlier in the year. Come back next year and we'll do it again.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimmy, I definately will do the 24 again, we hope to see you out here in August!

Although the photo is kind of hard to see, I'm pritty sure the front row, Piquet, Fangio, Senna, Brabham. Rear row Hunt, Stewart, Hulme. Racers all, Champions all!

Hunt and Hulme one championship each, the rest........17!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm fairly sure that is Jackie, the nose is a little small for the professor, plus who else would wear a tie to a car race?

Keith

It's McStewart allright, but I'm stumped on the flankers to be honest, I mean that's GOT to be Gerhard Berger hasn't it (On Jackie's right)? The reason I couldn't make up my mind is that I am wondering what the purpose of the gathering was, and how these various era gentlemen are connected. It's not a random gathering that's for sure.

And that is Manuel not John.

Strangely enough, the big guy in the quiet shirt looks a ringer for Brabham - his father perhaps?

The only thing I AM sure of is, that they will move bloody quickly if the cars came out of that pit lane in a hurry... :)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Keith, first off, front row right is Jack Brabham Sr.

I'm fairly sure the tall man back row left is James Hunt.

Here is a photo of Gerhard Berger

This is Hunt from around the same time.

FILE+20+Years+Since+Death+F1+Driver+James+3xieOGfh7ogl.jpg

10171193_506503649471806_4493318593540241987_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Google comes through again. I was able to find the photo with lables...they are kind of hard to read...

senna_fangio_1990.jpg

Em pé: James Hunt, Jackie Stewart e Denny Hulme.
Sentados: Nelson Piquet, Juan Manuel Fangio, Ayrton Senna e Jack Brabham.

Last edited:

Keith

That's a leap of faith with Denny Hulme but possible - he's put on a lot of weight! I've refrained from throwing up pictures of Denny - but he has got a memorable (long) head, and that really doesn't look like him, but.... my eyes are dim, I cannot see etc etc..Amazing though, how much like Jack he is if indeed it is he.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Keith, its Denny Hulme! The Bear was always a little "rounder than most" and Hunt was always taller than most.

Here is a photo with both Hunt and Hulme taken around the same time.

da1248763e4d794e764ca5bb3c292252.jpg

Via Enrico Brunoni
Denny Hulme , Ayrton Senna , Niki Lauda , Keke Rosberg , Alain Prost and James Hunt

senna_fangio_1990.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
How about this one. With the exception of the two front/center, the rest are all World Champions. By my count, 36 Championships!

Now that's a gathering!! WOW, what a crew. Can you imagine the stories that lot could tell....and probably did. Who's to Prost's left, & Button's right?

My favorite of all time is in that group and the guy I consider to be the best all round driver of all time.....Mario Andretti. (Indy 500 winner, Daytona 500 winner, F1 WC and the only thing missing from his crown is the 24 Hours) I had the pleasure of meeting him in St. Petersburg at the recent Gran Prix and the man is first class. I also bumped into AJ Foyt who, believe it or not was also pleasant to speak with. I'd heard he can be, well, lets just say difficult at times.

Another classic photo Jim. Its a wonder they got them all in the same room with the ego's in that group!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
To Prost's left is Jacques Velleneuve, to Buttons right is Jody Scheckter.

"Another classic photo Jim. Its a wonder they got them all in the same room with the ego's in that group!"

Jimmy, this was taken a few years ago at one of the Middle East tracks, the Gentelman next to Bernie paid for all the Champions to get together. As I understand, the only living Champion who did not come was Piquet who was still mad about that deal with his son.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. I should have guessed the two I missed. I knew I recognized them but my old brain just doesn't do recollection like it used to. As for the gathering......as my Dad use to tell me, there is always 1!

Back