Visited RCR, got the wife on board

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
My wife and I visited RCR yesterday and got the full tour from Fran. My wife was lukewarm about the idea of me building an SLC before, but after seeing it in person, she was impressed and she's in. Now I just need to sell my Cobra. I think I'll wait until after the election too, as I'm in the defense industry I need to know if I'm going to have a job before I spend that kind of money.

Pete

Pete.
It was a pleasure to have you and the family stop by...

Your wife certainly seemed pretty "on board"....so I think you are golden.

Besides your daughter may want an Apex so its a real family affiar....

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
My daughter likes turning wrenches and helped me build my Cobra engine, so an Apex is definitely a possibility.

Pete

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Well guys, I'm out of the market for a SL-C for at least four years. Not to get political, but the outcome of the election does not bode well for the aerospace and defense industries. Boeing just announced major layoffs and I expect a lot more coming. So, I'm putting every extra penny in my emegency fund for now. On the upside, should I still have a job in 2016 I'll have plenty saved up for an SL-C.

Pete

Sorry to hear that Pete. My wife is concerned as to how ObamaCare is going to effect the medical field so I am spending a little more time to finish off the student loans and what not while starting to save for the car.

Steve

Supporter
Likewise, I'm drawing the horns in too. ObamaCare is not on an irreversible course and it's likely going to get really ugly in the medical field....

Of course, that likely pales compared to what it will do to the national debt.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Well guys, I'm out of the market for a SL-C for at least four years.

Don't feel like The Lone Ranger, Pete. Yesterday I 'formally' pulled the plug on both car projects I had in mind. Thankfully for all concerned, both were only in the preliminary 'shall-we-go-this-way-or-that' stages...so no one was really 'out' anything.

Several people I know have put the brakes on various projects post-Tuesday...and it appears those in my own 'circle' aren't unique in that regard.

Wow, I don't want to get political here, but you guys seem *REALLY* pessimistic. Nothing's changed yet since a week ago in terms of economy/finances.

I'm on the bright side. Still hoping I will be into an Apex in 2013.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Wow, I don't want to get political here, but you guys seem *REALLY* pessimistic. Nothing's changed yet since a week ago in terms of economy/finances.

I'm on the bright side. Still hoping I will be into an Apex in 2013.

Well, you're right - nothing has changed YET. Dec and Jan there are huge changes coming if congress doesn't do something in the lame duck session. We run out of money in Dec and will have to raise the debt ceiling again, then in Jan sequestration hits, absolutely gutting the defense budget, along with the expiration of the Bush tax cuts. Then in 2014, Obamacare fully kicks in and that's a certainty now. It all adds up to a huge finacial crisis coming for the USA.

Pete

I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of person. If something is due to happen in the future, I tend to expect it won't be as bad as predicted.

As PeteB and Larry L suggest, cutting the defense budget will eliminate a significant number of good jobs from the economy as nearly all of the defense budget flows back into the US. So if the defense budget is cut by 30% (just picked a number) the number of jobs lost will be huge. So much for getting the economy back on track.

Do you guys want this moved to "off topic" and you can rant away to your hearts content.

What I can tell you from experience gained during the big financial drop in 20082009 is that many guys that were planning to build/purchase wished they had done so when they first thought about it ...as they lost far more in their investment portfolios/retirement plans than the cars would have cost them to build..and they would have had something to show for their money and still had a reason to go into the garage and indulge their passion.....many have since bounced back and purchased btw ....

... cutting the defense budget will eliminate a significant number of good jobs from the economy as nearly all of the defense budget flows back into the US. So if the defense budget is cut by 30% (just picked a number) the number of jobs lost will be huge. So much for getting the economy back on track.

I'm Canadian, but I do live in the States
I don't think its politics. Just math:

http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=7763

Forget what the economy may or may not do. Taking on the expense of this while depending on the best of scenarios is risky planning under any circumstances. Build a sufficient cushion that can absorb any unforeseen circumstances first. You'll enjoy the project much more if you do.

I feel for you. My wife tells me that I cannot spend any money on toys unless the house is pay off in a few years because of the economy. My other option is to get rid of my ZCP M3 and my MR2 Turbo but yet she refused to give up her MX-5 Miata.

Back