Wacky Engine Idea

Ok, don't shot me, but something to ponder....

- BMW sells a direct injection turbo diesel 5 series (in Europe) that out performs the gas car (I've heard it is even faster than the M5).

- Audi is introducing a TDI diesel A8 that out performs the gas A8.

- just read an editorial by a car mag editor who had spent a few weeks testing high end cars, and noticed it was the low end and mid-range that really got used all the time even in their tests. He also noticed how some of the diesel sedans have way more torque than the high end supper cars.

- we all know diesels are more efficient and make tons of torque. Any one who has driven a modern TDI diesel knows they are serious performers.

So - while it is probably sacralige, and I have a hard time imagining a TDI in a GT40 - has anyone looked at putting modern TDI engines in a performance kit car? I'm assuming the cost would be prohibitive as not enough used engines are out there and the aftermarket hasn't developed.

Still - this is probably the way of the future. I recently saw an article about drag racing diesel pickups. As I recal, the best modified street pickups were runing sub 10's.

-Mark

Hi Mark,

I am in the process of building a small rear engined Costin designed sports car, and a number of people have asked about whether a Turbo Diesel version would be possible!, not something I would have considered but have to admit to looking into it now.

The only other point I would add to your piece above is that in high performance Diesels is they seem to stay in tune or consistant performance over a longer period than a petrol engine.

One other thing I saw recently was on the Venturi site the new 300BHP electric "Fetish" Sportscar!

Cheers

Besides loosing the magical sound of a screaming V8 and tradeing the smell of high octane for burning oil, the transaxle will become an even bigger issue.
Transaxle options are already high torque challenged as well as final drive options. I believe most of the TDI's are all done by 4500 rpm......some transaxles would have a speed of 100mph on the rev limiter!
It would be cool for a daily driver though, I am a huge fan of the TDI's.

Andy

Good point on the transaxle - both torque and gearing wise. And the sound would be a loss, but the smell wouldn't bother me - I run Biodiesel in my truck and now find the smell of gas offensive (funny how you never notice how bad something is until you see the alternative).

Yes, electric would be interesting - I remember seeing a home built (non street legal) electric car at an autocross - the torque output was amazing - and you could easily program the throttle response!!! Still I wonder if a car like that would lack character to drive with no musical engine purrrrr.

-Mark

Back