Wanted : CAD drawings for Front and Back Upright.

I have order a Tornado GT40 that will arrive this summer and is now looking for CAD drawings for the front and back upright. There is some out there in casted in aluminium but the Swedish SVA (SFRO) would not except those. They prefeed milled ones from air plane aluminium. So I am interested in CAD drawings preferable for Wilwood brakes.
Anybody have these drawing that i can buy ?? (Much easier than make new drawings and then found out that they may not fit)

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, the aluminium uprights from Southern GT are accepted by the Swedish SFRO as SGT are working closely with SFRO and they have gone through all production specs together, with concerns to aluminium treatment, scrub radius on front/KPI etc.
They also offer ally front uprights poly bush suspension, as SFRO isnt too keen on rosejoints.

Or use steel rear uprights from SGT. Works great, and you can have 6 pin with center bolt as well.
Mick is very helpfull and have converted many Tornado front and rear suspensions for both racing and fast road.

Best of luck
Morten

You have ordered a Tornado kit so you will receive Tornado whishbones and uprights ????
From what I remember those uprights where ( time ago ) Granada front ones and rear steel welded ones ?? and then some years ago they offered replacement( or option ) with new alumium uprights so if those one are not accepted by your country regulation department why din't ask directly to Tornado to have steel ones matching to the wishbone and have them accepted by your homologation department ??
Am I missing something ??
Every Brand of front and rear uprights drawings have specific picking points for suspension and the drawings you have to find must have been" engineered" specificly to match the Tornado suspension ; unless you will have a lot of issues with camber caster etc, not speaking of lenght of front steering tierods and bumpsteer , on the rears issues with driveshafts etc

There was some years ago a nice member René building his proper scratch GT40 on which thread ( Riviera scratch built GT40) you could find drawings of front and rear uprights he posted friendly for all of us but as said they where specific to his built and chassis ( so they could be for a use but have of course to be redrawn for any other supension cinematic !!!!)
They where an interesting idea as he was using modular built so machining was not that expensive than starting from a big pricy aero7075 aluminium billet !!
Starting from what he posted as 2 D drawing; here are some views of what they look in CAD ( with some modernised front steel arm and upper modular part and added rinforcements spoke for the rear one)

Attachments

• porte moyeu assemblé.JPG
    porte moyeu assemblé.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 341
  • porte moyeu assemblé 2.JPG
    porte moyeu assemblé 2.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Assemblage porte moyeu arr droit.JPG
    Assemblage porte moyeu arr droit.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Assemblage porte moyeu arr droit 2.JPG
    Assemblage porte moyeu arr droit 2.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 283
Don't forget that just having the cast rear upright doesn't get you going down the road.
You will also need a hub assembly with all the necessary precision dimensions for fitting bearing etc

As Morten says .... SGT uprights are already approved and the hubs available.
Why reinvent the wheel?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Front uprights and brakes Ford Granada Mk2
Rear hubs and brakes Ford Granada Mk3
Rear uprights fabricated from steel plate.There are some drawings of similar on this forum if you can find them.
Cheers
Mike

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Ford Granada mk2 fronts is ok in UK, as with mk3 rest hub carriers etc. Not easy to use that option in Sweden as SFRO (equivilant to VOSA/TUV) require strength analysis on a the Granada parts, and as such part is 30-40 years old and used, it will not pass inspection, nor will the ally uprights from Tornado or Lotus 7 locost ones from Rally design. Same goes for the steering Geometry as Scrubradius/KPI as per SFRO requirements is impossible to get with Granada setup.

Best is have a chat with Mick at SGT, as he’s supplied multiple suspension upgrades/ steering geometry corrections/ uprated suspension arms/ steering rack upgrades for Tornado, and GTD which most of our spaceframe chassies are based on.

Best of luck
Morten

You have ordered a Tornado kit so you will receive Tornado whishbones and uprights ????
From what I remember those uprights where ( time ago ) Granada front ones and rear steel welded ones ?? and then some years ago they offered replacement( or option ) with new alumium uprights so if those one are not accepted by your country regulation department why din't ask directly to Tornado to have steel ones matching to the wishbone and have them accepted by your homologation department ??
Every Brand of front and rear uprights drawings have specific picking points for suspension and the drawings you have to find must have been" engineered" specificly to match the Tornado suspension ; unless you will have a lot of issues with camber caster etc, not speaking of lenght of front steering tierods and bumpsteer , on the rears issues with driveshafts etc

There was some years ago a nice member René building his proper scratch GT40 on which thread ( Riviera scratch built GT40) you could find drawings of front and rear uprights he posted friendly for all of us but as said they where specific to his built and chassis ( so they could be for a use but have of course to be redrawn for any other supension cinematic !!!!)
They where an interesting idea as he was using modular built so machining was not that expensive than starting from a big pricy aero7075 aluminium billet !!
Starting from what he posted as 2 D drawing; here are some views of what they look in CAD ( with some modernised front steel arm and upper modular part and added rinforcements spoke for the rear one)
Hi Mic. - Yes You will receive rear upright in steel but no for the front. Many suggest Granada front uprights in steel but the weight is high and supposenly flex quite a bit. Have a frend that have geat contact i a CNC Mill company and the price idications of drawings i have found in this forum if i have complete CAD drawing is feasable.

Don't forget that just having the cast rear upright doesn't get you going down the road.
You will also need a hub assembly with all the necessary precision dimensions for fitting bearing etc

As Morten says .... SGT uprights are already approved and the hubs available.
Why reinvent the wheel?

Hi Morten. One big issue is price - Have a quot from frend in a CNC mill company and all depends if the drawing (200 € to 1000€ per unit in 7075 Al)

"drawings i have found in this forum if i have complete CAD drawing is feasable. "

What sort of drawings did you find ?
Are they enought detailed to be applied in CAD
Are you sure those drawings match your wischbones ?

"drawings i have found in this forum if i have complete CAD drawing is feasable. "

Hi !
Probably put the drawin in a 3D printer first and make a mockup pair to test all fitting and angels

Back