Warning lights

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Possibly a dumb question but I'm just assembling my dash and want to go as per original. I have the correct warning lights in the correct locations, but would like some guidance re their functions. I am assuming red is ignition/alternator; blue is high beam and amber is oil pressure, but what is the white one for.

HILLY

Supporter
I could be totally wrong but I thought that the white one was the radiator fan indicator light. The fans may have been controlled manually or at least may have had a manual over ride.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Brian, do you know where to get lights for the dash that look like the originals? I have looked at a few sets and they don't resemble the lights that are in the older cars? any ideas?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Thanks Peter. That's what I thought it might be. Jim, I found mine by scouring wrecking yards and scavenging off early 60s British cars, usually BMC or Rootes Group. The white one came out of a Riley or a Wolseley as I recall. All getting hard to find now as wreckers are crushing a lot of their older stock. If I happen across any I will grab them for you.

HILLY

Supporter
Look for "warning light" here
I think that James may have put me onto these guys originally when I was looking for the bulb holders.

Very old topic, but I can't find any further confirmation. I would also like to know what is the white light for? Is it indeed for radiator fan? Thanks.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I think it was on the Lotus forum where I got this wiring diagram. (kudos to the originator)
It provides a dash warning light indication when the fan is activated by the temperature sender and can also utilise the Kenlowe fan over-ride switch which has an additional red warning light.
I am using it to suppliment the shortfall in the FAV drawing.

Fan%20Circuit%20004.jpeg

s-l1600.jpeg

Last edited:
Is there a list of what warning lights functions were used on the original car somewhere? This is something I have been looking at currently, as I was trying to purchase the remaining items for my dash.

The list I am thinking of getting at present is as follows, some of this is based on what I think I need for rego requirements here.
Dash Lights/Warning Lamps

• Turn Lamp (Left - Green)
  • Turn Lamp (Right - Green)
  • Hand brake lamp (Red)
  • High beam lamp (Blue)
  • Oil pressure/check engine lamp (Red)
  • Low brake fluid lamp (Red)
  • Low fuel (orange)
  • AC on (orange)
  • Parker or driving lamps (orange)

• might be able to get away with just one green for both turn signal lamps?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Is there a list of what warning lights functions were used on the original car somewhere? This is something I have been looking at currently, as I was trying to purchase the remaining items for my dash.

The list I am thinking of getting at present is as follows, some of this is based on what I think I need for rego requirements here.
Dash Lights/Warning Lamps

• Turn Lamp (Left - Green)
  • Turn Lamp (Right - Green)
  • Hand brake lamp (Red)
  • High beam lamp (Blue)
  • Oil pressure/check engine lamp (Red)
  • Low brake fluid lamp (Red)
  • Low fuel (orange)
  • AC on (orange)
  • Parker or driving lamps (orange)

• might be able to get away with just one green for both turn signal lamps?
Read posts 1 and 2 above.;)

Read posts 1 and 2 above.;)

I am assuming red is ignition/alternator; blue is high beam and amber is oil pressure, but what is the white one for.
:p
I and I suspect that most Millennials will find it very odd that there were only 4 warning lights! I doubt I would be able get away with that these days with registration requirements in Australia. Hence my list above. I seem to recall seeing a diagram somewhere? was it in the SAE files?

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi Ryan, if you cannot get them from UK, I can always order them and post it all to you downunder. No problem.
I probably have few spare if you need.

cheers morten

Still thinking about what will be required for rego purposes in OZ. Have been trying to reduce the number where possible, considering the originals only had 4.
  • 1 Turn Lamp for Left and right - (Green)
  • 1 High beam lamp (Blue)
  • 1 Hand brake & Low brake fluid lamp (Red) - switch/sensors wired in parallel.
  • Oil pressure/check engine/Low voltage lamp (Red) - I'm probably going to have to run EFI for emissions so computer will control this
  • Low fuel (orange)

Back