What can cause engine oil to turn into Gelatin?

Ive seen alot of crazy things within an engine block but I have never seen oil get turned into Jello. Please enlighten me as to how this could happen.

Thanks

Neil

Supporter
A fellow I used to work with owned a Ford Broncho. He never changed his oil, just jept adding more as needed. He had 250k + miles on the engine and it still ran. God knows what his oil looked like.

Water getting into the oil can turn it into something that looks like mayonnaise. But that is something completely different.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I would say the engine had been overheating causing the oil to chemically break down and become more viscous. This then leads to more heat which then burns away the 'lighter' petrochemicals in the oil leaving something between tar and grease.... Jello....

Howard Jones

Supporter
Someone could have put some kind of "miracle additive" in their F'ed up engine to "cure" it. There are so many things you can buy to put into your oil that do nothing but spend money that there's no way to know. At this point, it doesn't really matter, the motor needs a complete teardown and rebuild anyway. You will probably find a reason when all the parts are on the bench. In any case, if that was mine and I wanted to fix it that's what I would do. It's pretty cheap to tear it apart.

I didn't watch the video first. But I think I am right. Miracle cure that the owner didn't know about or wouldn't cop to.

Reactions: Mic

Sean S.

Supporter
Synthetic oils mixing with coolant can cause this. Although I havent seen it that bad before. Ive seen mixing Synthetic and Mineral oils gel up a bit too, again not to that extent.

Back