What color is the best for resale

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
OK all... I am struggling with what color to paint the 40.
I have been telling myself it will be Gulf livery for a while now, but just can't stop questioning it. I know what the color it would be if I was planning on keeping it, but am struggling trying to determine what color to squirt it knowing I will be selling it as soon as it's done.
So, thought I'd throw out the question to the group.

When you close your eyes and imagine a vintage GT40 in your driveway, what color is it?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Rob, mine is getting painted a dark red metallic. I picked charcoal above but I would encourage you to think about what pleases YOU and not worry about resale. John Allen commented one time that GT40s must be one of the most often repainted models of cars, and he's right. They get resprayed so often that the one thing I've nver seen is an ad for a GT40 with it's original paint. I'm not sure any still exist that way.
When Bill Wonder's car, 103, was sold (after he'd had it forty years or so and done a lot to it but kept the dark red it had been painted back in the sixties) one of the first things they did was repaint it dark blue. It didn't seem to hurt the value any. Personally I wish they'd left it alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

When I close my eyes I see yellow or black in MY driveway but the opinions of a bunch of GT 40 enthusiasts like ourselves will not necesarily be a good reflection of what is best for resale. Most people can recognize the gulf colors which might be a plus but I wouldn't paint my personal vehicle in them. Just my 2 cents

Please don't shoot me but if you don't mind taking advice from a newbie. If you are selling as soon as it's built why not leave it primed and advertise it as "available in any colour of your choice" and obviously let the purchaser wait till it's ready, or, save the cost of final paint and go with "final paint to be applied by purchaser". As long as the panel fit is good and it's neatly primed I think any prospective buyer would be happy with that. You also have the advantage of not putting off any prospective buyers who might hate whichever colour you choose.

Okay, here's a purely aesthetic response. I voted for silver. While red, yellow, and other solid colors can look terrific on a GT40, any solid color is inherently "dead". By that I mean the solid colors make a visual statement, but they do not enhance the sculptural qualities of the car. Only the metalic finishes allow the light to play over the subtle curves and lines of the car's coachwork. That's why designers usually finish their show cars and concept vehicles in metalic paint. If you look at my avatar you see my Mangusta is silver. See the way the sun "renders" the curves of the flares over the wheel arches, and the gentle arching of the sheetmetal surfaces? If the car were solid red or yellow you would never see that. The GT40 is a very sensual shape that begs to come alive in metalic paint. Now... that's just my 2 cents! Gulf livery is cool too, for a whole other set of reasons.

Gulf Livery is too dramatic for many buyers.
I think any of the primary colors would be popular, but there's a reason they call it "resale" red.

MikeD

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, here's a purely aesthetic response. I voted for silver. While red, yellow, and other solid colors can look terrific on a GT40, any solid color is inherently "dead". By that I mean the solid colors make a visual statement, but they do not enhance the sculptural qualities of the car. Only the metalic finishes allow the light to play over the subtle curves and lines of the car's coachwork. That's why designers usually finish their show cars and concept vehicles in metalic paint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that lighter colors show off the curves better than dark, but white and yellow would work in this regard as well as silver.

When I close my eyes, I see a GT 40 in mid-60's black and white and my mind adjusts for what that color ought to be. That color is Guardsman Blue.

>>...I know what the color it would be if I was planning on keeping it,<<<

I think you should stop there. Do it for yourself, you deserve it.
But if you're painting it to sell, then Royal blue with Wimbledon white stripes is my vote.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Great input guys...thanks.

Jim: I'm kinda weird about the repaints....it's kinda like giving a dog a new name. It just aint right. I would want the prospective buyer to "like" the color it was. Acknowledging I am rolling the dice I am just trying to play the odds and attempt to choose the color that might appeal to the greatest probable audience.

TimB: This is my very point. I too would like a black one. It would compliment my black Bullitt well..or vise versa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well...admitedly I would actually like one is each of about 5 colors including Gulf. But back to reality eh... The recognition and potential for appealling to the most people is why I was/am feeling strongly about going Gulf.

dave w: Waaay to logical buddy. While this sounds great.... most people who would buy a finished car are not capable of looking at an unfinished car and seeing the finished product. They need to see the shiny finished product in order to fall in love. OK...yes broad generalization, but it comes from 21yrs of restoring and selling cars. " Paint it, and they will come".

Daryl: First and foremost... I want your Mangusta. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Absolutely agree about the metalics. Not as much fun to lay down, but look awesome when done. Especially on curvy sensual lines such as 40s or maybe even Daytona coupes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for your two cents...appreciated.

Mike D: You have hit on the red button that stops the paint gun in mid air. I can't see a guy pulling up to his country club in a Guld livery car. It's too loud. But on the other hand some guys would want loud. The real question is would that guy also be able to fall in love with the "resale red". This very arguement is what caused the Cobra roadster to be Viper red. When I brought it to auction it was like bees and honey. I was literally and quite physically pulling people off or away from the car. There is always a good argument for red.

Mark: Gotta admit, don't think I've ever seen a metalic white or yellow that I would want on a car of mine. Don't get me wrong, one of the 5 cars in the stable (above comment) would be white with black details. I love the combo, but it wouldn't be metalic. Then the bling factor in the sunshine is all but gone though. Going back to the enhancement of the sensual curves of the body.

Geoff: Damn funny!! I do this too. I have a hard time thinking of anything prior to 1965 as being in color. Guardman blue would be scenario #3 of 5 in the garage. This is what I used on the Coupe. Man did it look sweet in the sun.

Coop: Eh..thanks. Glad someone thinks I do. I'll PM you my wife and Boss' numbers. Please give them both a call for me. Blue with white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif see car #3 above.

Thanks again guys.

Looks like red is currently in a pretty signigicant lead in the polls.........

HILLY

Supporter
Well I reckon that blue and silver will do just fine.
I hope that re-sale value is not an issue for a long time to come.

Attachments

• 80245-B-S_01.JPG
    80245-B-S_01.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 332
Rob,

IMHO opinion yellow and black are always a great colour combination on a sportscar.

When it comes to yellow, also in view of selling the car, you must check out a colour
from the Porsche range of the late 60s/early 70s.
It is called "signal yellow" and to me is the most stunning shade of yellow ever seen.
It is not that kind of bright, eye-blinding, yellow but a very dark yellow almost going
into orange. It is very much period style, not too flashy, and looks simply gorgeous.

I had it on my 71` 911 and everyone just loved it.

Best,
Marcus

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Okay, here's a purely aesthetic response. I voted for silver. While red, yellow, and other solid colors can look terrific on a GT40, any solid color is inherently "dead". By that I mean the solid colors make a visual statement, but they do not enhance the sculptural qualities of the car. Only the metalic finishes allow the light to play over the subtle curves and lines of the car's coachwork. That's why designers usually finish their show cars and concept vehicles in metalic paint.

I agree that lighter colors show off the curves better than dark, but white and yellow would work in this regard as well as silver.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that I had mentioned this once before on the forum but shortly after I had completed my car (silver), I put it on display next to a white and a yellow car. While on display I overheard two people discussing the differences in body curves between my car and the other two. Having not alot of knowledge about GT40s they were wondering if one was a Mk1 and the other a Mk2. In reality all cars had come out of the same mould and were identical other than the colours.

Just an observation, not a comment on good or bad colours.

Attachments

• 80250-RACV.JPG
    80250-RACV.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 347

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Go the red with a silver stripe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Attachments

• 80287-arrivinghome13-10-05003(Small)(2).jpg
    80287-arrivinghome13-10-05003(Small)(2).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 356
OK I'm biased!
VV,you're right colour matters to some people, but I struggle to believe that many people are looking for a specific colour GT40 - other than those looking for a traditional Gulf scheme car. As had been said,those people who wouldn't be seen dead in Gulf car (poor souls!)would be put off, but for those who want one(the elite!)the choice is limited and a sale all the more certain. Remember, cars are like houses - having a queue of people sounds great in theory, but in reality, you only sell it to one person !

c'mon..no doubt...GULF livery forever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
THAT is the legend of the geetee40..

In Italy there is a too big love for the Wyer Gulf livery and I see in Milano also Ducati,Triumph and Elise repainted in Gulf livery.
I wellknow all this matter is deeply personal, but for me...closing eyes I see just that color scheme.

...being anyway so nice the shape of the 40 is so easy to love also all the other colors..including gelcoats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Paolo

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Well Pete so far the pole results sure do support your opinion.

Oh...Man!!! I just realized that I didn't put Gulf scheme in the pole DOH !!!!!

Now I have to start all over...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bottom line here is this car looks beautiful in pretty much any color. The result of color choice is magnitude of beauty.

Unlike the Daytona coupe, which in my mind should realy only be one of two colors, but you can argue for two additionals. The GT40 was seen in many many colors (all remembered now as black and white of course... ;-) and looked good wearing all of em.

Thanks again for all the input

In the car game it is referred to as "Re-sale Red". Red just makes a sports car look like a sports car. But I also agree with the comment that any GT40 looks good in any color.

Jim

Back