What gearbox with what power/torque

Hello all,

I am putting together my 'list' of preferred items for my build as i hope to order a kit next year. One of the outstanding items with various options that are fundamental to the build is the gearbox, I have read many threads on who recommends what gearbox and i was hoping you could share your gearbox along with its spec (if its modified), what HP/torque it is subject to and whether you have had any issues, installation or running. Doesn't matter whether its a pure race car or road/track day all info is good info. Not sure i will be in a position to buy Quaife or ZF/RBT so need all the info i can get on alternatives.

If you don't want to post here in case you worry you may offend a supplier please message me.

Many Thanks
Spike

What is your budget? How much HP/Torque do you expect your engine to make? How concerned are you with authenticity? A lot of issues go into picking a gearbox.

Eric,

I am looking to have potentially 450-500hp, if cash wasn't an issue authenticity would be higher up the list. However i am looking to keep it very period looking but where reliability comes into play i am quite prepared to ignore this and fit what is proven to be reliable

Neil

Supporter
A Porsche G50 might be an affordable choice. They are widely available compared to others and the availability of repair parts and gear sets is a plus.

Hi Spike. If you really are going to get that sort of horsepower then a Quaiffe or G50 is the only really safe option. The Renault UN1 can be strengthened with some expensive shafts but they have a weak 5 th gear. The Audi 01E I don't believe is any stronger but like all these things its about how you deploy the torque. If you are very careful with how you apply the torque, i.e no dumping the clutch, you can last longer before a breakage and you might be able to get away with a un1 or 01E.

I would recommend though that 400- 450 bhp and 350-400 ft/Lb torque is way more than enough on british roads with no traction control and I have heard many people say less than that is perfectly ample I had 340 HP in my old Tornado and it was scary on a bumpy road if I dared open the taps! If you want a UN1 or 01E on cost grounds I would consider keeping capacity down to reduce the torque levels, certainly no more than 302/331.

If you come along to our club meets, Chris Cole (the UN1 guru) can give you some ideas of options with the UN1 such as the shafts upgrade and LSD, he comes usually every month. Next meet will be January 7th.

Neil,

Yes i have realised that the G50 seems to be the middle point between UN1/01E & Quaife/ZF.

Jason,

I will be attending in Jan (work permitting) and look forward to the conversations

As I'm building a Southern GT car I only had the UN1 or ZF/RBT option available.
ZF/RBT was beyond the budget so I went for a Chris Cole UN1 with LSD.

I do think that the Audi gearbox option has great potential though due to it's ease of availability, huge range of ratios and it's cheap.
If the option had been available I would have gone this route and accepted that when I break it I swap in a spare.
With accessibility being so good (once the clams off) it should be a relatively simple swap.
And yes, I know there are a compromised in installing an 01E but some of these can be engineered around and, being honest, how many of us need that last couple of % of ultimate track day grip.

Too much time and money invested for many to risk embedding it in a barrier!

The other option is to ensure the sacrificial components are the UJ's.
You still have a breakage on the car but not one of the wallet!

Ahh shed racing. I saw your post from last year when you were looking heavily into gearboxes. So I'm assuming southern layout only accommodates the UN1 not the 01E?

Correct Spike.
When I finally get time, I will complete my analysis of how to accommodate the 01E without having to raise engine/gearbox and still maintain the SGT geometry.
Drive shaft angles will still be unfavourable but even that's potentially resolvable with some creativity.

Correct Spike.
When I finally get time, I will complete my analysis of how to accommodate the 01E without having to raise engine/gearbox and still maintain the SGT geometry.
Drive shaft angles will still be unfavourable but even that's potentially resolvable with some creativity.
That would be interesting

Two thumbs up for the Audi boxes - they’re inexpensive and can be strengthened somewhat by the install of the LSD. They’re also light weight at about 120lbs, and shift easily. However, the output shaft is below the input shaft and this can tend to cause some forward tilt of the drivetrain in some installs.

What about the Graziano V10? These are the gearboxes used by the R8, and you can get a new one with drop gears, for the same or less than some of those already mentioned. Capable of high torque with parts and service available locally.

Back