What might you do?

Hello All,
Looking to tap into the wisdom of the forum for some guidance. I had been planning on purchasing a new SPF GT40 extra wide body but have been considering other options. It appears that RCR builds have an excellent reputation among current and former owners at a substantial cost difference, originality and Shelby registry notwithstanding. If I were to purchase an RCR I could also get a new Ariel Atom 4 or have a Factory 5 Type 65 built while the RCR is waiting in line. I know there will be the forthcoming advice to fly to Detroit to visit Fran and the RCR factory and will do so before placing an order, although I am hesitant to get on a plane at this time especially after my wife canceled all our vacation plans for this year (cough cough).
So my question is would any of you forego the Atom or FFR Daytona purchase to have an SPF over the RCR? Any thoughts you may have on any of these vehicles are more than welcome.
Thanks guys.

It depends on how much originality matters to you. It mattered most to me and I got an SPF over RCR and other choices. The build quality is excellent with great panel fit and paint. I've been very happy over the past 12 years and would make the same choice now.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The price for the "kit" is only a fraction of what you will spend to build it (RCR or really anybody else's)...
For the most part. These are not truly kits per se - They are more a collection of components...

I think you have identified the salient point. One car is the 'continuation car' & one is the replica.

It's up to you, but have you lusted after a 1960's GT40 (or as near as you can get, short of a Gelscoe or similar) or would you be just as happy with a GT40 replica? I think that decision has got to come from your heart & that is the central question.
What you could buy with any money saved by a cheaper option is a totally valid way to think, but don't forget you set out to buy the first option & perhaps this may be a distraction ?

Hopefully some members who have experience of both cars will answer your post & maybe give you some more practical things to consider alongside my thoughts. (some have posted as I type !)

I know most people would be happy to own either, but they are different. Both are great, one of my favourite members cars here in England is a RCR Mk2 in Ken Miles / Denny Hulme Le Mans 1966 qualifying colours, please don't think I'm 'anti' RCR, the company has a great reputation.

Hope you're soon enjoying your new toy, which ever you choose !

Steve

Boy did you guys get to the point as I had hoped. It is very subjective, and obviously the decision is mine to make but I always appreciate differing perspectives in that they illuminate potentially important aspects that I may not have considered sufficiently. Originality matters to an extent and SPF has made a great effort to offer vehicles with the best pedigree possible a half century later. When Steve (above) asked about the decision coming from the heart I had to stop reading for a moment because it struck a nerve. We love these cars for emotional reasons for sure and driving them is a large part of the experience. I also have a C7 Grand Sport which is terrific all day grand touring car but the older I get the more I want out of the experience. It feels disconnected somehow compared to my S2000 and 350Z, I suppose due to all the electronics. I've driven GT40s a half dozen times, the last two days around the Monterey Penninsula at the LS Historic Races in an SPF. I never felt at one with anything motorized since I was a kid driving a go-cart. As they say, "I could have danced all night". The Atom 4 has received tremendous rave reviews and my son mentioned possibly getting another great driving car if the budget allowed with an RCR purchase which is why I'm looking into this option. The Ariel would be a open air wooden rollercoaster and the GT40 a "belly of the best" drive, both thrilling.

Why not ask Fran if he will do you an GT40 package with a Steinard single seater, much more fun than an Atom.

As already mentioned the cost of an SPF roller is roughly 2.5x what a deluxe RCR kit runs. By the time you get the RCR to the same level of fit/finish completion they are much closer in cost depending on WHO is doing the work. If you plan on doing any serious track time with the gt40 I would recc. the RCR. There is a thread about a previous owner that bought an SPF for that purpose and ran into a bunch of issues. The RCR is more robust in that regard, and the parts will be more reasonable if you get agricultural....... If you are looking for a weekend cruiser and occasional light track use either will do. Resale/pedigree/continuation the SPF wins. Happy hunting, S

It all comes down to how much originality matters to you. The RCR may or may not be a better track car, but the originals (and presumably SPF) seemed to do OK on the track. Of course, off-track excursions are likely to be more expensive in the SPF. The only real car that I've driven that felt more "goKarty" is a Cobra. I've not driven a Corvette, but a number of Porsches, and there is no comparison at all in the driving experience.

Doug Dyar

Supporter
I am sceptical about your math.

Can you post your dollar assumptions? I know what I spent during the last year, and in my opinion, there's not room between it and the finished cost of an RCR to build a Daytona or buy an Atom. There are a number of SPF dealers who will sell you a SPF for a lot less $ than a certain west coast dealer's advertised prices.

I recently purchased a SPF and even knowledgeable enthusiasts are way off on their price assumptions. Yes, a kit is cheaper up front. But what would you actually have in it once completed?

None of this should be interpreted to diminish the quality of an RCR vs a SPF. Both can be outstanding cars. I just think that maybe you are using numbers that are a little off.

Doug

I don’t think this is proprietary info but for a Wide body GT40 with Gulf paint I was told right off the bat I could get a turnkey RCR with engine and trans built by them out the door for $135+ depending on additional extras. I was estimating an SPF for about $225+ based upon their posted asking prices at various dealers. The difference ($75+) was why I was entertaining an FFR Daytona or Atom although the latter has a 12 month wait time.
If I’m off on my numbers please share.

I am sceptical about your math.

Can you post your dollar assumptions? I know what I spent during the last year, and in my opinion, there's not room between it and the finished cost of an RCR to build a Daytona or buy an Atom. There are a number of SPF dealers who will sell you a SPF for a lot less $ than a certain west coast dealer's advertised prices.

I recently purchased a SPF and even knowledgeable enthusiasts are way off on their price assumptions. Yes, a kit is cheaper up front. But what would you actually have in it once completed?

None of this should be interpreted to diminish the quality of an RCR vs a SPF. Both can be outstanding cars. I just think that maybe you are using numbers that are a little off.

Doug
Hi Doug,
My northern CA dealer offered on my first call msrp on the base rolling chassis and his cost on everything else. I didn’t get more specific than that and I haven’t shopped around just yet as I’d prefer to have a good relationship with my closest dealer. I posted on the forum just now my estimates of roughly $135+ from RCR out the door with engine and trans based upon a call to Fran and $225+ from the SPF website without negotiating if that’s even entertained at all. The difference was for the Atom or FFR.
Any other insight, wisdom or suggestions you could offer from your experience would be most welcome.
Franklyn

Doug Dyar

Supporter
You're off on the Superformance number as I suspected.
They're roughly 130k for a Mk2 rhd assembled roller. 10-15k for a RBT ZF. Add your choice of engine 10k-25k and 10k for pro installation. Not cheap, but no where near 225k.
Contact me offline if you want specifics.
Doug

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and the private conversations. When the time comes I'll reach out to an RCR owner in Northern CA or Reno NV area for a "socially distanced" look at their car.

Back